• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Potentially faulty 3070

Associate
Its on the gov uk website and has been quoted a few times on here. Another thing to compliment Brexit over.
No offense to any one but what legal rights Government have to tax your item.

It is not even logical.
I bet it would Fall of a cliff In a court.

Soldato
They don't for RMAs. If it's marked as such, there should be no duties or taxes on it, as they were already paid on the original item. If they are charging them, it's either not been marked RMA, someone's made a mistake, or they are being dicks.
Don't pay fees on an RMA, explain it and give evidence, then receive item.

Soldato
No offense to any one but what legal rights Government have to tax your item.

It is not even logical.
I bet it would Fall of a cliff In a court.

found it >

Goods under warranty
If the goods are replaced under warranty, no duty is due but VAT is chargeable on the full VAT value of the replacements (VAT General Regulations 1995, Regulation 126 refers). This is an important point to bear in mind, as private importers will not be in a position to reclaim import VAT as input tax, but may be able to recover the import VAT paid, under the EC 6th VAT Directive.

If a charge is made for the repair or replacement, duty and VAT on the repair costs is due as described in the previous paragraph. Replacement goods imported under this facility are subject to the ‘equivalent quality’ criteria described.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/evga-2070-rma.18926193/

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/customs-special-procedures/spe14030

Last edited:
Associate
so u buy item u pay VAT. it breaks down and gets replaced free of charge but government thinks they are entitled for another round of VAT? So if replacement is zero then VAT is zero.

Soldato
They should be covered by this I thought :
Outward Processing Relief (“OPR”)
  • Allows for the temporary export of goods for processing or repair, and to re-import the processed products whilst retaining domestic status or with partial relief from import duties.
Edit: From HMRC to a user rmaing to EVGA on another site.

"You need to self-declare for outward processing relief (OPR) and state the CPC Code on the CN22 form you MUST complete when exporting.

List of CPC code can be found here (CPC code refers to whether it applies for OPR):

https://parcelbroker.co.uk/help/cust...ocedure-codes/

My understanding is that when sending goods out for repair code CPC 21 00 006 should be used (see table in link for what this describes)

Look at the section regarding self-declare here (note self-declaring can only be done a maximum of 3 times per year):
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-to...cess-or-repair

If you're in my current position and are looking to reclaim for a fee charged (when a fee isn't due, but was applied due to not following the proceedure above). Then you can try and request a refund (after the charge has been paid), by completing a C285 form here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...ies-c285-chief

You will need supporting evidence - receipts of postgae, details of the RMA process on the website, or any emails regarding the process. Anything to support your claim. This is not guaranteed to be succcessful."

From EVGA:

"you can use following detail to contact if customs need any declarations from us to Prove this is a defective device.
VAT number is: DE814559984
tariff code is correct: 8473.30
Phone: +49 (0) 8918-904911
Contact email : [email protected]
While Sending Defective Unit, Please declare the "Package contains Defective product, sending in for warranty (RMA) replacement". to help with customs (BREXIT) clearance.
No Taxes applies to the defective devices sent in for warranty replacement.
If possible send the package as DDP (Delivery duties Paid) to avoid the customs issue.
Please do not hesitate to contact if you need any further assistance during RMA process."

Summary from a person:

" As EVGA say, as long as it's marked as 'RMA - Defective - No Commercial Value' and the CN22/23 forms are filled out with the shipment value at £0, you should be fine. Whenever you fill out the customs form, the product description should be 'Faulty [Product Name]' - eg 'Faulty EVGA GTX1070 GPU'.

However, when you do courier something, make sure it's got shipment insurance to the correct value to protect against loss. Don't also declare this as £0 as you'd end up with no compensation if the courier lost it."

Last edited:
Associate
OP
PNY directed me back towards the retailer for a refund, i pressed again explaining I needed a replacement and now they are going through with an RMA. I just double checked I definitely can't get it working, I know faliure rates are low on pc parts generally but I definitely think it's broke. Just strange the circumstances it happened in

Associate
Gpu failure rate is reasonable high due to its design and maximum performance .
It is designed To operate at 99% of its capabilities .

Associate
They should be covered by this I thought :
Outward Processing Relief (“OPR”)
  • Allows for the temporary export of goods for processing or repair, and to re-import the processed products whilst retaining domestic status or with partial relief from import duties.
Edit: From HMRC to a user rmaing to EVGA on another site.

"You need to self-declare for outward processing relief (OPR) and state the CPC Code on the CN22 form you MUST complete when exporting.

List of CPC code can be found here (CPC code refers to whether it applies for OPR):

https://parcelbroker.co.uk/help/cust...ocedure-codes/

My understanding is that when sending goods out for repair code CPC 21 00 006 should be used (see table in link for what this describes)

Look at the section regarding self-declare here (note self-declaring can only be done a maximum of 3 times per year):
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-to...cess-or-repair

If you're in my current position and are looking to reclaim for a fee charged (when a fee isn't due, but was applied due to not following the proceedure above). Then you can try and request a refund (after the charge has been paid), by completing a C285 form here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...ies-c285-chief

You will need supporting evidence - receipts of postgae, details of the RMA process on the website, or any emails regarding the process. Anything to support your claim. This is not guaranteed to be succcessful."

From EVGA:

"you can use following detail to contact if customs need any declarations from us to Prove this is a defective device.
VAT number is: DE814559984
tariff code is correct: 8473.30
Phone: +49 (0) 8918-904911
Contact email : [email protected]
While Sending Defective Unit, Please declare the "Package contains Defective product, sending in for warranty (RMA) replacement". to help with customs (BREXIT) clearance.
No Taxes applies to the defective devices sent in for warranty replacement.
If possible send the package as DDP (Delivery duties Paid) to avoid the customs issue.
Please do not hesitate to contact if you need any further assistance during RMA process."

Summary from a person:

" As EVGA say, as long as it's marked as 'RMA - Defective - No Commercial Value' and the CN22/23 forms are filled out with the shipment value at £0, you should be fine. Whenever you fill out the customs form, the product description should be 'Faulty [Product Name]' - eg 'Faulty EVGA GTX1070 GPU'.

However, when you do courier something, make sure it's got shipment insurance to the correct value to protect against loss. Don't also declare this as £0 as you'd end up with no compensation if the courier lost it."
This is a very useful amount of information.
I hope never to need the info.

I recently had to RMA a Corsair PSU, they provided a shipping label via DHL. It went to the Netherlands.
The replacement came from Honk Kong.

Thankfully it was very painless for me. I had to do nothing but print the labels provided. The replacement arrived as quickly as can be expected from that far around the world. (4-5 days from date marked 'shipped')

So I can only assume Corsair took care of the correct forms. (Or DHL on there behalf?)

Soldato
This is a very useful amount of information.
I hope never to need the info.

I recently had to RMA a Corsair PSU, they provided a shipping label via DHL. It went to the Netherlands.
The replacement came from Honk Kong.

Thankfully it was very painless for me. I had to do nothing but print the labels provided. The replacement arrived as quickly as can be expected from that far around the world. (4-5 days from date marked 'shipped')

So I can only assume Corsair took care of the correct forms. (Or DHL on there behalf?)
Same tbh. Don't think I've had any over seas rma since brexit yet. Most of the problems will go away over time as everyone gets the proper procedures in place hopefully :)

Back
Top Bottom