Road Cycling

Soldato
Ill ask him when I go see it to be sure, but seems to look like my best bet at that price and people seem to love caad12s reading a bit online.

Im waiting to arrange a view, then ill see what its like. Wish me luck!

Edit:

The Caad12 sold before I got chance to see it... :(

There is a Caad13 quite local to me spec taken from the advert below:

Cannondale CAAD13 2020 rim brake road bike.
8.0 kilo build that is very well maintained and very rarely ridden in bad weather.
58cm/XL frame will suit a rider 6ft1"+.
All frame and wheel bearings run very smooth. Can be supplied with or without pedals, bottle cages, pump, Blendr stem mounts which can fit Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and/or GoPro.

Full spec list below:

CAAD13 Aluminum frame with a full carbon fibre SAVE fork
Hope Tech rs4 pro road wheelset in blue with matching Hope Tech quick release skewers
Shimano 5800 speed shifters
Shimano 5800/r7000 crankset
Shimano r7000 front and rear derailleur with Hope Tech jockey wheels
Shimano r8000 Ultegra 11-28 cassette
Shimano r7000/r8000 front and rear brake
Cannondale carbon fibre SAVE seatpost
Fabric full carbon flat saddle
Bontrager Elite stem and aero handlebar wrapped in knurl bar tape
Topeak micro alloy pump - Elite carbon bottle cages x2

The thing that's concerning to me is the total mix of groupset etc and ideally i wanted matched R7000 or bettter.

He claims its being sold due to back injury and the bikes geometry doesn't work well now with his limited flexibility. his asking price: £1250.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey Roady,

Pretty much hit the nail on the head!

Another good bike came up for him and we went out to see it last night in central London £550: Cannondale caad12 2018 tiagra spec with FSA crankset.
Awesome result, assuming your mate got it!?

CAAD's are well reviewed and well loved frames. A bit traditional in shape and geometry, but then that's no bad thing! One of the best alu frames you can get and on par with good carbon really.

I’d love to say they added 3kmph to my speed, were laterally compliant vertically stiff and people’s necks snapped when they turned to look at me….
Of course they did and you looked AWESOME! :cool::D

I think for me I’ve reached peak rim brake bike and I don’t think I can realistically improve it on a “normal” budget.
Disk brake bike next then. ;)

It has the Ultegra 8000 chainring on it, not the bespoke Cannondale one that comes as standard. I think that's why it had a Pf30 Bottom bracket - I assume this BB allows Shimano Cranks on it for that purpose as the Caad frame isnt threaded it is?
Although you missed the bike just to clear this up, c-bear and wheelsmfg do PF30 BB's which natively fit Shimano hollowtech cranks. I'm using a Wheelsmfg one on my Diverge and it's great.

Caad frames are not threaded, Cannondale have always pushed and manufactured Pressfit so they don't have many options to move away from it. They generally use PF30A and BB30A BB's and their 'Hollowgram' cranks and spiders use a 30mm spindle so to step down to Shimano 24mm you either use adaptors or change the BB.

The Caad12 sold before I got chance to see it... :(

There is a Caad13 quite local to me spec taken from the advert below:
Cannondale CAAD13 2020 rim brake road bike.
8.0 kilo build that is very well maintained and very rarely ridden in bad weather.
58cm/XL frame will suit a rider 6ft1"+.
All frame and wheel bearings run very smooth. Can be supplied with or without pedals, bottle cages, pump, Blendr stem mounts which can fit Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and/or GoPro.

Full spec list below:

CAAD13 Aluminum frame with a full carbon fibre SAVE fork
Hope Tech rs4 pro road wheelset in blue with matching Hope Tech quick release skewers
Shimano 5800 speed shifters
Shimano 5800/r7000 crankset
Shimano r7000 front and rear derailleur with Hope Tech jockey wheels
Shimano r8000 Ultegra 11-28 cassette
Shimano r7000/r8000 front and rear brake
Cannondale carbon fibre SAVE seatpost
Fabric full carbon flat saddle
Bontrager Elite stem and aero handlebar wrapped in knurl bar tape
Topeak micro alloy pump - Elite carbon bottle cages x2

The thing that's concerning to me is the total mix of groupset etc and ideally i wanted matched R7000 or bettter.

He claims its being sold due to back injury and the bikes geometry doesn't work well now with his limited flexibility. his asking price: £1250.

Any thoughts?
Gutted you missed the first one as sounded a better deal!

Second one seems ok, although you're right it's a bit of a mix. Although nothing wrong with it, I find it odd that a 2020 frame has 5800 ('old' 105) shifters. Looking at the rest of the components it likely came with R7000.

So in that respect it's had different wheels, different shifters, a new cassette, a new rear brake, different saddle, different bar & stem. To me that sounds a lot of changes on a bike which can be no more than 3 years old? Not really concerning as the wheels, cassette and brake are probably upgrades but the shifters, bar, stem and tape all being changed for non-cannondale might point towards it having a crash...

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/cannondale-caad13/ - hints it's price might have been around £1600 new.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/cannondale-caad13-review/ - good really in depth review here.

Soldato
Awesome result, assuming your mate got it!?

CAAD's are well reviewed and well loved frames. A bit traditional in shape and geometry, but then that's no bad thing! One of the best alu frames you can get and on par with good carbon really.

Of course they did and you looked AWESOME! :cool::D

Disk brake bike next then. ;)

Although you missed the bike just to clear this up, c-bear and wheelsmfg do PF30 BB's which natively fit Shimano hollowtech cranks. I'm using a Wheelsmfg one on my Diverge and it's great.

Caad frames are not threaded, Cannondale have always pushed and manufactured Pressfit so they don't have many options to move away from it. They generally use PF30A and BB30A BB's and their 'Hollowgram' cranks and spiders use a 30mm spindle so to step down to Shimano 24mm you either use adaptors or change the BB.

Gutted you missed the first one as sounded a better deal!

Second one seems ok, although you're right it's a bit of a mix. Although nothing wrong with it, I find it odd that a 2020 frame has 5800 ('old' 105) shifters. Looking at the rest of the components it likely came with R7000.

So in that respect it's had different wheels, different shifters, a new cassette, a new rear brake, different saddle, different bar & stem. To me that sounds a lot of changes on a bike which can be no more than 3 years old? Not really concerning as the wheels, cassette and brake are probably upgrades but the shifters, bar, stem and tape all being changed for non-cannondale might point towards it having a crash...

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/cannondale-caad13/ - hints it's price might have been around £1600 new.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/05/cannondale-caad13-review/ - good really in depth review here.

Yeah he picked it up the night we saw it, and for the £500 its a great buy, he is VERY happy.

I was really disappointed I missed the Caad12 Ultegra at that price point but I guess that's what happens for mulling things over for too long! And the reality is either bike is an upgrade to what i have, and im a low level leisure rider so its going to be fine for what I need.

I've messaged the guy a lot since posting this morning, and done a bit of digging on him online to make sure its as legit as it can be before I go.

He works in a local Evans shop I think, and he's had a crash on his MTB (its listed online so its legit wasnt road crash) and he is selling this because after his crash its not the right ride for him (he broke his back and said the gemo is too harsh now based on his mobility).

I already pushed him on price based on the caad12 Ultergra spec at 1k (and told him this) and he said he would also take 1k absolute lowest, so I'm going to check it out tonight.

I questioned him on the shifters being the older 5800, as that was my biggest worry about mix of bits also, he said the following:

"Groupsets probably done no more than 500 miles. In the past year. The reason for the parts not all matching is because there were so few parts around when i built the bike - i had to fit what i could get" - this semi checks out becuase of Covid and availability. worst case I can always upgrade them in the future?

He also mentioned:

"The only second hand part on the bike is the drive side chainset as you can see from the foot rub. Every other part was from a shop".

It does look quite clean, and the fact that things like they Jockey Wheels are HOPE and not stock etc. makes me think he has cared for this bike and built it up with love.

I will check the frame over well for signs of a crash but couldn't see anything obvious from the posted pictures.

Last edited:
Soldato
New wheels day yesterday for me. Went with the same guy who supplied a set of tubs for CX last year local to me.

Similar in spec to Bergers FFWD, DT Swiss 350 Hubs, 51mm deep, 28mm wide, and they are proper fat! have got pictures but as the internet is broken currently! will have to post something later.

Front hub is mesmerising to watch.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LRyzZP9RTwmNPp1j8

Now that IS mesmerizing!

Soldato
Forgot to post my spot the difference. Changed cassette. You can just about see some of the teeth are narrower than the new cog. 16T seemed to have worn the most. Not super interesting but thought I'd check while I could :D

ic27eIq.png

Soldato
Isn't always obvious on cassettes, usually the burrs on the teeth are the clue rather than overall shape of the teeth.

Finally got 120mm stem on the bike and a prologo zero saddle. Feeling proper banging now, corners like ****.

Also put my saddle up at least 1cm and adjusted cleats to have the mark on the cleat under the ball of my foot. Meant I actually took some turns tonight, 20 mins at 190bpm and 180bpm for the full thing. Hit 200bpm a few too many times .

Got new club kit too but the sizing of the long sleeve top is silly. Both of these are large the elastic on the rear sits below my arse cheeks...

Soldato
I've emailed Bioracer to see what we can do. Spent a grand in kit for the boss and I. He's heavier than me so the race jersey is like a condom on him then the long sleeve is as baggy as mine tbh.

Surely a large person is a large person.

Bike looks like a weapon but it fires blanks a bit :cry:. Much better now and hopefully I'll adjust to the position and be happy going forward. Took a spell with my HR up to 200bpm then one of the strongest guys surges past. Whole lotta deep hanging onto that :o

Soldato
I've emailed Bioracer to see what we can do. Spent a grand in kit for the boss and I. He's heavier than me so the race jersey is like a condom on him then the long sleeve is as baggy as mine tbh.

Surely a large person is a large person.

Bike looks like a weapon but it fires blanks a bit :cry:. Much better now and hopefully I'll adjust to the position and be happy going forward. Took a spell with my HR up to 200bpm then one of the strongest guys surges past. Whole lotta deep hanging onto that :o

Yeah but ive always found cycling kit really hard to size right, seems to be total luck of the draw regardless of your size.

Id consider myself a larger framed guy (6.1 90kg in the account of strong lifting in the gym) and getting any kit that fits me "right" is a gamble either cuts of blood suppy to my biceps/shoulders or its too short in length etc.

My brother for comparison is the same height much slimmer also has the same issues but in reverse its frustrating!

Soldato
Yeah it is a total.gamble. shame as it's so expensive.

The shorts and short sleeve are consistent with my Ale large on the PRR range. It's the long sleeve that's the wtf.

I'm 5' 11 77kg so not that big, fat thighs and a bit shouldery.

Associate
Depends what kind of indoor training you want to do?

I guess first question is smart or non smart enabled?

My current goals are to build up to riding to a century. I have entered a 60 mile ride for a months time and my long rides at the moment are in the 70km range so i need to find another 30km. I recently got a cycle computer and my cadence was pretty slow was in the 60's so i am working on getting my cadence into the 80-90 range. I was thinking of using zwift to have something to look at to distract me and have some social aspect as well so i would assume a smart trainer would be the way to go.

Soldato
My current goals are to build up to riding to a century. I have entered a 60 mile ride for a months time and my long rides at the moment are in the 70km range so i need to find another 30km. I recently got a cycle computer and my cadence was pretty slow was in the 60's so i am working on getting my cadence into the 80-90 range. I was thinking of using zwift to have something to look at to distract me and have some social aspect as well so i would assume a smart trainer would be the way to go.

I think you can make non smart trainers smart with the addition of ANT+ and sensors etc, but they obviously will not control things like resistance automatically.

Do you have a budget in mind then would be best to work off of that?

Also what cycling computer you have?

Soldato
Have the wahoo element bolt v2, was thinking £600-800 range for a trainer.

Ah nice, i want the V2 but cant justify the upgrade from my original one as I only got it last year in July.

Wahoo do some nice reconditions offerings on thier site:

CERTIFIED RECONDITIONED - KICKR CORE SMART TRAINER for around the £600 mark:

https://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices...C8LuBVOxLUQ82T4rR2pQ9wAO7hnjneUMaAg8AEALw_wcB

Spec and information can be found on the site. From what i hear they are great trainers. Id have one if I could, but its a bit too steep for my wallet currently.

Associate
I was looking at the bolt v1, but i was put off that it didn't redirect you should you go off route and at the time i couldn't quite afford the roam so i held off a couple of months. Now i am building up my millage and been on a few group rides going though villages ive never heard off as soon as i saw the v2 had the redirection ability i couldn't resist. The core looks good, going to need to move some things around the man cave to make room for a trainer.

Soldato

So I went to see it last night, bloke was super genuine, although I felt super bad as he suffered a bad MTB crash had to have spinal surgury etc. and he is clearly struggling with his recovery. Said he was selling purely on the basis that he cant ride a road bike at the moment due to his condition.

I asked him a bit about the bike, he claimed to have built it from scratch during early lockdown. Frame from Sigma Sport and the rest all from the local Evans shop he works at hence it being a bit of a miss match but still nice build.

Not sure if true, impossible to tell, but the frame is mint and clearly not been crashed at all.

Rest of the bike looks clean, apart from the only second hand part which was the crank arm which has scuffing.

He also threw in some spare tyres and mudguards: SKS raceblade pro + Continental ultrasports 25c.

We forgot about the carbon bottle cages but he said he will post them out to me, so lets see!

Ive not ridden it properly yet, but i cant wait to. It does have the notorious seat post creak (its a Carbon post) so ill have to give it a good clean and possible use some Carbon grit stuff I assume to try resolve that?

Not the best pic, but got home late last night and its all I could manage:

2X16LpB.jpg

Soldato
"Groupsets probably done no more than 500 miles. In the past year. The reason for the parts not all matching is because there were so few parts around when i built the bike - i had to fit what i could get" - this semi checks out becuase of Covid and availability. worst case I can always upgrade them in the future?

He also mentioned:

"The only second hand part on the bike is the drive side chainset as you can see from the foot rub. Every other part was from a shop".

It does look quite clean, and the fact that things like they Jockey Wheels are HOPE and not stock etc. makes me think he has cared for this bike and built it up with love.

I will check the frame over well for signs of a crash but couldn't see anything obvious from the posted pictures.
Glad to hear your friend is happy & sorted!

It does make sense due to the shortage of parts around and him saying it was built up, a quick scan around does hint the CAAD13 frameset was readily available at just below £1000. So really sounds an ok build for that - nothing stopping you changing parts although if it's working fine with the older shifters I'd say stick with them - it will be at least a year (possibly 2) until groupset prices and components drop (and that's considering that supply issues and low inventory don't continue to push it further).

Although I would question why someone would change jockey wheels on a new RD, bling factor yes but generally you'd ride and wear them a decent amount first on a build before you switched them out for any other reason. They're not really a performance upgrade.

EDIT: I should've refreshed this morning! Ooops! Bike looks great, very smart and clean! Sure you'll be happy with it as will be a worlds apart ride from your older lower range Allez. Enjoy! :cool:

You guys need to get out more... Although actually... *drool*

I do recall a front hub somewhere having kinda white star patterns or was it holograms on it in sequence so when you rode it looked really cool, but can't think where I saw that now!?

Forgot to post my spot the difference. Changed cassette. You can just about see some of the teeth are narrower than the new cog. 16T seemed to have worn the most. Not super interesting but thought I'd check while I could :D

ic27eIq.png
Yup. Can't tell the difference. Barely any! Although reinforces how I can't tell a cassette is worn unless it skips!

Maybe we need to start dating them on the back with a marker or something and then just replace them every 3 years. Think that's the only way as once they've done a UK winter they all look the same regardless of age!

Isn't always obvious on cassettes, usually the burrs on the teeth are the clue rather than overall shape of the teeth.

Finally got 120mm stem on the bike and a prologo zero saddle. Feeling proper banging now, corners like ****.

Also put my saddle up at least 1cm and adjusted cleats to have the mark on the cleat under the ball of my foot. Meant I actually took some turns tonight, 20 mins at 190bpm and 180bpm for the full thing. Hit 200bpm a few too many times .

Got new club kit too but the sizing of the long sleeve top is silly. Both of these are large the elastic on the rear sits below my arse cheeks...

Bike is looking superb mate, although that clearance with the rear tyre to the frame looks TIGHT! Nothing to worry about, or really don't care with the short term you keep bikes? See a bunch of these around now and everyone seems to love them...!

Kit sizing is a joke, do Bioracer have different sizing charts for the SS and LS? A summer sizing and a winter or a race and casual? If they're on the same size chart that is an utter joke!

Yeah but ive always found cycling kit really hard to size right, seems to be total luck of the draw regardless of your size.
Brand to brand and even series to series within that brand can be quite different.

Example: I'm a Medium in Rapha Core shorts, a Small in Brevet and somewhere between the two in their Pro kit. Although I can get away with wearing a Large in Core (just not that comfortable for long days) I prefer a tighter short and can even squeeze into a Small.

Castelli, I find more restrictive, so although I can wear a Medium in their cheaper (more stretchy) I'm generally a Large in their higher end stuff. Same with Sportful, although find the Large in theirs a better fit on me as their pads fit me better (touch wider and thicker), the medium stretches a bit too much and the pad doesn't sit well. Their Fiandre shorts (being thicker fleece backed) I can get away with an XL, but barely squeeze into a Medium. Castelli winter shorts 'Omloop' I can't even fit in a Large.

Cycling sizing is generally called 'Italian' for a race fit and doing some google searches on brands sizings will usually get people on forums saying 'how italian' they are. Less 'european' sizings (like Pearl Izumi, DHB, Altura etc) are generally far more forgiving. I'm a small in DHB and even then there's 'too much' material around the body for me, but also not enough stretch in the legs to go down to an XS.

Jerseys I'm almost exclusively a Medium across all the brands. I prefer a tighter fit, but the more relaxed fitting brands (DHB/Craft) are ones I'd generally wear commuting anyway.

This is for me being a 32/32 in Superdry/Timberland/etc jeans, generally wearing them with a belt as could go less on the waist, but with my quads needing the sizing of a 32 to actually get them on! No chance of me wearing a skinny jean... Unless stretchy and then I 'test' the seams too much and they're really not comfortable! (only ones I've come close with are 'Flex' named, Superdry do some 'PremiumFlex which are nice - boot cut at the bottom but quite fitted and the flex fits my quads)

I’m looking at getting an indoor trainer for the winter months any recommendations?
What's your budget and intended use?

Can't go wrong with DCR's recommended guide but there are a couple of nuisances depending on platform and type of training which might help push you to certain models (like the H2 for interval work).

Depends what kind of indoor training you want to do?

I guess first question is smart or non smart enabled?
There's really no reason now to be looking at non-smart and I'd even argue these days that going non-direct drive isn't ideal. Only reason would be budget or certain fringe use cases (race warmups, no power in area), but when you're strapping a £8000 bike to a £300 trainer to save a few quid from buying a £600 one, it's really not an argument.

We've an Indoor riding thread for all of this really anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom