Road Cycling

Soldato
Although I would question why someone would change jockey wheels on a new RD, bling factor yes but generally you'd ride and wear them a decent amount first on a build before you switched them out for any other reason. They're not really a performance upgrade.

EDIT: I should've refreshed this morning! Ooops! Bike looks great, very smart and clean! Sure you'll be happy with it as will be a worlds apart ride from your older lower range Allez. Enjoy! :cool:

Yeah its for me! Ill take it out for its Maiden voyage tonight if all goes to plan.

Regarding the Jockey Wheels: Clearly to match the blue hubs and skewers duh!!! :cry:

Everything does seem to shift and work well, but a proper ride will be the real test I guess. I think for the riding I do, its certainly going to be a good bang for buck upgrade from my trust Allez.

Soldato
For the seat post clean it all out, grease the bit of the frame the 'clamp' asembly sits against and fill the hole the post goes into with loads of fiber grip.

Tighten the bolt tight-ish and give the saddle a hit on the nose side to side then properly tighten the bolt to the correct torque. I ended up going over the torque to stop my super six evo from slipping.

Soldato
For the seat post clean it all out, grease the bit of the frame the 'clamp' asembly sits against and fill the hole the post goes into with loads of fiber grip.

Tighten the bolt tight-ish and give the saddle a hit on the nose side to side then properly tighten the bolt to the correct torque. I ended up going over the torque to stop my super six evo from slipping.

Ah ok thanks for the sound advise, I assume you mean grease the "clamp" bit internally? then fiber grip the rest?

Ill have to get some all purpose grease and fiber grip on order then!

Soldato
Nightmare, guy I got mine from at the weekend said he had sets in for about a week and then all gone! And eta for more rims is months away again. Think all those supplies are the same.

Soldato
Aye grease on anything on the frame side and between the faces of the wedge.

Fiber grip anything seat post facing.

The knocking side to side just makes sure the seatpost and clamp line up properly.

Page 14 and 15.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/files/manual-uploads/manuals/137370%20rev%201%20cd%20oms%20my20%20caad13.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjozI2D4IrxAhWI2BQKHdgaD7oQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3A9FL9BfVJ1ytn0rGf36wo

Ah ok, ill give that a go once i get some grease and fiber grip

I've read some things online about a laminated "business card hack" that sits between the frameside and clamp (greased of course) which if the re grease and fiber combo doesn't sort it i might give a go.

Not sure how bad its going to be when riding it for the first time but ill sort it in due course.

Soldato
Nightmare, guy I got mine from at the weekend said he had sets in for about a week and then all gone! And eta for more rims is months away again. Think all those supplies are the same.

Yeah annoying really! They've offered me 5% off and a goodie bag, which I guess is better than nothing, and a nice gesture

Soldato
Ah ok thanks for the sound advise, I assume you mean grease the "clamp" bit internally? then fiber grip the rest?

Ill have to get some all purpose grease and fiber grip on order then!
Just don't get your NGLI-2 and CRB-GEL mixed up!

NGLI-2 is just normal thicker grease if I recall (and backed up by wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

I've no idea how the CRB-GEL they mention (actually FSA stuff - so maybe find it cheaper from them?) compares to other fibre grip pastes/gels. Maybe @Jonny ///M can comment...

Aye grease on anything on the frame side and between the faces of the wedge.

Fiber grip anything seat post facing.

The knocking side to side just makes sure the seatpost and clamp line up properly.

Page 14 and 15.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/files/manual-uploads/manuals/137370%20rev%201%20cd%20oms%20my20%20caad13.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjozI2D4IrxAhWI2BQKHdgaD7oQFnoECCIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3A9FL9BfVJ1ytn0rGf36wo
Great tips, also some good warnings in there on page 16 about only wiping the wedge clean - seems like there's internal lubricant and some adhesive you may damage if you used cleaning solvents/degreaser.

Looks quite a neat wedge design compared to some of the others, although you lose a minor amount of aero with it being inside 'the triangle' I like the practicalities of it being easily accessed and away from ingress from dirt/water/grime/rain from above.

My Scribe wheels have been pushed back 2 weeks :(

Glad I rushed to buy rotors and a cassette at a premium so they'd be here in time for the wheels :mad::mad:
Shame, guess it's supply issues from China which everything seems to be hit by at the moment.

Sounds like it's right across the industry and has been for the smaller wheelbuilders all the way through, just now also impacting those who had stocks and likely buying more volume.

Think it'll continue so we'll see more and more price hikes? What are others thoughts on this?

Until now wheels have largely been unaffected (price wise) unlike groupset, frames and bike builds. But I'm guessing it was always likely to happen. Just wondering if I budget and consider a set of wheels now rather than leaving to the autumn for any 'deals' (which is unlikely with low supply issues - more likely they'll climb). Probably going the Zipp 303 S route unless something else pops along at around £600 as the Zipps still coming in below a grand still with Brexit and everything else they're pretty unbeatable for wide/fast/features/aero off the shelf wheels.

EDIT: Unrelated. Planned club ride out to Gospel Pass this saturday, trying to figure out if I can make it and still get home in time for taking the little dude swimming. No beer & cake for me afterwards like the others!

https://www.strava.com/segments/1230172

Figure I can get home in 1hr 15mins solo, so what it takes to climb (~40 mins), have a breather and descend (10-15 mins), so I'm at 2hr 10 mins count back already. It's tricky as although planned meet is 30 mins earlier than usual, I don't know the planned route to actually get there! Surely it won't take over 2 hours...! :rolleyes: :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Just don't get your NGLI-2 and CRB-GEL mixed up!

NGLI-2 is just normal thicker grease if I recall (and backed up by wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

I've no idea how the CRB-GEL they mention (actually FSA stuff - so maybe find it cheaper from them?) compares to other fibre grip pastes/gels. Maybe @Jonny ///M can comment...

Great tips, also some good warnings in there on page 16 about only wiping the wedge clean - seems like there's internal lubricant and some adhesive you may damage if you used cleaning solvents/degreaser.

Looks quite a neat wedge design compared to some of the others, although you lose a minor amount of aero with it being inside 'the triangle' I like the practicalities of it being easily accessed and away from ingress from dirt/water/grime/rain from above.

Yeah ive got some Fibergrip (muc off stuff) on order and some TF2 standard grease just incase I need to sort it myself in future, but I have actually just took it to the LBS to have the front mech sorted and asked them to check the seat post too (as the guy said he is aware of the issue on the phone and has spoken to cannondale about it before).

LONG story short; but last nights "maiden voyage" was a bit of a disaster, hence the trip to the LBS. We had issues on my friends Caad12 and then with my Caad13 when we got home. Both front shifting related. Couldnt fix his well enough on the ride on account of lack of long engouh screwdriver across all our multitools so he limped home with big ring only.

Sorted it out once we got back as best as I could, but the shifting on the front end still seems a little sticky. Due to the time we had to call it a night. We didnt even get chance to look at mine.

I want to ride this weekend and don't have the time to replace the inner cable (which I suspect is the suspect, which looks like it was cut short with bad cutters and is now frayed at the mech end) It also needs some index/setup which i would usually attempt myself but as my bike stand is at my brothers who is currently away, i'm not doing it without one its a pain I can live without this week!

Luckily through some stroke of luck LBS had 1 slot for tomorrow so thats where it went for my own sanity.

Additionally though whilst im still here, if anyone has a R7000 front D top cap (the plastic thing) spare, do let me know!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to bump into the back of a car tonight… riding home easy doing maybe 30kmh. Slightly downhill approaching a mini roundabout I’ve done a hundred times before.

This time a car pulls left out of a driveway to my right. The driveway opens up onto the roundabout, so the car should turn left drive up the road towards me and then turn where safe to do so. What actually happens is they go left then go immediately right as if to make a U turn, so they over the roundabout hatching and solid white lines. Then stop semi sideways at the give way, I can see the roundabout is clear with a car coming the opposite direction. I’m just free wheeling coming downhill expecting them to go.

They start to straighten up a bit, and I start braking, they hesitate and then stop. I’m now full anchors on trying to scrub as much speed as possible, and run out of road at about 2-3mph and just bump them with one foot unclipped. No room to go down the side, and given they were positioned odd that would risk being sideswiped.

Driver has a massive phone on the A pillar in use looking like it was on a video call…. I said wtf you doing, they said oh I was giving way to car coming opposite way.. I said your on the phone wtf you playing at. Guy in the car asked if I was OK. I didn’t check my bike just rode off ****** off! HR gone from 130 to 180! Cork pads on cold carbon rims and TT brakes, having a laugh if you can pull that up in time. I was full anchors as hard as possible and they are only average. On alloy rims or my R5 I’d have stopped. Got home and everything seems fine just front brake needed recentering but the rim isn’t buckled and doesn’t need truing.

Soldato
Managed to bump into the back of a car tonight… riding home easy doing maybe 30kmh. Slightly downhill approaching a mini roundabout I’ve done a hundred times before.

This time a car pulls left out of a driveway to my right. The driveway opens up onto the roundabout, so the car should turn left drive up the road towards me and then turn where safe to do so. What actually happens is they go left then go immediately right as if to make a U turn, so they over the roundabout hatching and solid white lines. Then stop semi sideways at the give way, I can see the roundabout is clear with a car coming the opposite direction. I’m just free wheeling coming downhill expecting them to go.

They start to straighten up a bit, and I start braking, they hesitate and then stop. I’m now full anchors on trying to scrub as much speed as possible, and run out of road at about 2-3mph and just bump them with one foot unclipped. No room to go down the side, and given they were positioned odd that would risk being sideswiped.

Driver has a massive phone on the A pillar in use looking like it was on a video call…. I said wtf you doing, they said oh I was giving way to car coming opposite way.. I said your on the phone wtf you playing at. Guy in the car asked if I was OK. I didn’t check my bike just rode off ****** off! HR gone from 130 to 180! Cork pads on cold carbon rims and TT brakes, having a laugh if you can pull that up in time. I was full anchors as hard as possible and they are only average. On alloy rims or my R5 I’d have stopped. Got home and everything seems fine just front brake needed recentering but the rim isn’t buckled and doesn’t need truing.

Jesus. What a **** I would have probably lost my cool and threw him to the floor . Important thing is you for away unscathed, which is all that matters.

Bikes can be replaced or fixed a lot easier than people.

Soldato
I was fairly relaxed, maybe because it could have been a lot worse… the argument will always be stop in the distance you can see, and account for people doing illegal moves, on the phone and hesitating….

Soldato
Ouch. Feel like roads are getting worse recently. So many silly close passes.

Woman in a Mini earlier pulls out from side road. It was tight but she would have been fine if she actually sped up. Of course she didn't so I had to shout. She told me I should slow down... 23mph. Lol.

Soldato
Was nearly fighting on a main road the other week.... **** in a battered old Clio close passed me twice in the space of 10mins. Squeezing by me on a 60MPH B road with traffic coming the other way.
Second time he done it we were no more than 5 car lengths away from a roundabout so he had absolutely no reason.... I got up to his drivers window, he opens it and a un-tethered labrador puppy tried to jump out the window. If he didn't grab hold it would have been full on out the window.

He had a very small child in a baby seat in the back and a child no more than 4 years old sat in the front. No booster seat, no seat belt on.
Car was covered in rust and had a space saver wheel on the back left.

I instantly went from 10 angry down to a 5 because children were there and I was just in disbelief that he would do what he done to a cyclist but put his kids in that shed and think it is acceptable.

His excuse was "I was only passing you FFS"..... I told him if I called the police and they showed he would be car seized and banned for all the counts of wrong he is doing. I asked him if he even had tax, insurance or an MOT and he told me to **** off and sped away like an idiot.

I find it inexcusable that we need to share the roads with people like this who do not give a single **** for anyone but their own entitled self. I was full on ready for embedding a chain ring in his face at what he done to me but that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Soldato
Had a taxi driver take offence because my rear light (Four4th Scorpion) flashes white* in between red pulses and was apparently giving him vision issues. Poor bloke must have an absolute mare at night with all those white lights coming at him... I just said I was glad he'd seen me and wished him an enjoyable rest of the day. He called me a ******* ******. C'est la vie.

*Yes, technically illegal but given how many close passes I've had of late, I'll take the £30 fine if it comes.

Soldato
Had a taxi driver take offence because my rear light (Four4th Scorpion) flashes white* in between red pulses and was apparently giving him vision issues. Poor bloke must have an absolute mare at night with all those white lights coming at him... I just said I was glad he'd seen me and wished him an enjoyable rest of the day. He called me a ******* ******. C'est la vie.

*Yes, technically illegal but given how many close passes I've had of late, I'll take the £30 fine if it comes.

Remember few years back riding back from one of our offices early October. It was about 6pm so still quite light I had my sunglasses on but it wasn't warm and I was in a black gabba and bib shorts. Some guy comes up by me and winds down his window and shouts I can barely see you mate. I looked back at my exposure tracer to check it was still going which it was. And then moved my glasses down my face and just replied but you can see my really bright flashing light yeah? At which point he drove off.

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting a longer stem to achieve a slightly more aero position. I've currently got a 110mm one and undecided whether to go for a 120mm or 130mm.

I feel like only going up 10mm won't be make much difference so am tempted to jump to 130mm, but on the other hand I like the snappiness/responsiveness feel and don't want it to to feel like riding a barge!

Anyone got any advice?

Back
Top Bottom