Purchasing Land (Farmer)

Man of Honour
There was a strip of land for sale near where I work IIRC it was about the same length and half the width and they wanted 5K - I'd imagine the farmer is thinking more like 10-15K.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Well, i had the phone call and "The Conversation"

£2,000 and i cover all legal fees :)

land surveyor is here Friday. Time to contact solicitor today and see costs :( i am hoping its less than £500.

If i could buy 65sqm at £50/sqm I'd bite his hand off! Obviously depends on area etc but as I've seen a few other posts on your house presumably you'll enjoy it/don't intend to sell soon.

I bit his hand off.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Good job! Now as @Psycho Sonny suggested, drill the stump and fill it with tree killer. /s

I was told, by farmer i will never get planning permission to do anything. Its woodland, but there are lots of grey areas so i dont think i can officially plant grass etc. but i want to maintain the woodland (so just clear the rubbish, level it off) by adding some sleepers, gravel then just keeping it rustic.

Soldato
I was told, by farmer i will never get planning permission to do anything. Its woodland, but there are lots of grey areas so i dont think i can officially plant grass etc. but i want to maintain the woodland (so just clear the rubbish, level it off) by adding some sleepers, gravel then just keeping it rustic.
Yeah lots of houses by my home town did a similar thing. Their gardens are "polished" and lead down to rugged woodland, but within that woodland are inkeeping features like a bench, rope swing etc.. will be great if you have kids.

Man of Honour
Amazed at that price - guess it must have been more of a liability to the farmer than I thought. Around here you'd be lucky to have change from 20K if they could get away with it.

Soldato
Amazed at that price - guess it must have been more of a liability to the farmer than I thought. Around here you'd be lucky to have change from 20K if they could get away with it.

I reckon the farmer doesn't realise that although the land is useless to him others will pay a premium for it. His loss.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
It will come as a separate deed to the house.

So far we are looking at:

Land £2,000
Surveyor and Boundary / land registry compliant drawings £350+VAT
Solicitor £750 - £1,000 (covering farmers fees as well)

We want it as woodland area. We are going to fence the entire garden but have an entrance to this area as a bit of secret garden. Mini-digger to churn the soil and get rid of all the brambles etc :) It will be a perfect area as we have a child on the way. It's very own little woodland :)

This however is going to be a BIG project, as soon as the land completes we plan on getting the double extension added as we had the floating raft installed when doing the single extension 2 years ago. The view from the back bedrooms, will now be amazing.

U4cWDFQ.jpg

Caporegime
Excellent price!

Houses opposite us have both gardens and extensive slices of grazing land with menage / stables. All houses who have tried to convert the grazing land to gardens have failed, those who have tried to mess with the land by even planting trees have been told to remove them.

Make sure you know what you are allowed to do with this new land before investing any money "renovating it".

Associate
There was a strip of land for sale near where I work IIRC it was about the same length and half the width and they wanted 5K - I'd imagine the farmer is thinking more like 10-15K.

Why would you think that? It is protected woodland that the OP is buying. He cannot even trim the trees tagged with Tree Preservation Orders and it must remain woodland, so forget about making a domestic garden there. 2017 prices for UK woodland where as follows:

'...England achieved the highest average price at £5,500/acre, with Wales at £3,800/acre and Scotland £1,600/acre. Not surprisingly, one of the main determinants of prices is location, with proximity to London or other major centres being crucial, reflecting the amenity component in these prices. The highest prices in the year, in excess of £9,000/acre were achieved in the Home Counties, with Wales and Scotland having far more affordable properties...' Source

One acre equals 4,047 square metres so about £1.20 per square metre is its current rough value, maybe £2.40 per square metre if it's in a desirable area. Therefore, £2,000 for 65 square metres of protected woodland (£30 per square metre) is very generous. The farmer must be pleased as punch because he is no longer responsible for maintaining a useless piece of land which could carry a legal liability if any of the trees are blown down on to adjacent properties.

A few years ago I knew a bloke who bought an acre of woodland in North Yorkshire for £2,500. He had the bright idea of living there on the cheap. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for him as he got reported to the Council for putting up a tent there after just a couple of weeks and threatened with a big fine. Designated woodland cannot be used for anything other than woodland, hence why it's dirt cheap.

Man of Honour
Why would you think that? It is protected woodland that the OP is buying. He cannot even trim the trees tagged with Tree Preservation Orders and it must remain woodland, so forget about making a domestic garden there.

Doesn't mean the farmer will be willing to let it go at a low/normal price - that there is demand there alone (in this case the OP) potentially gives it a value above the impacted value due to considerations like tree preservation orders, etc.

Back
Top Bottom