• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help me with my wild 5800x, please

Associate
Greetings, I have just inaugurated a new pc with a Ryzen 5800x (stock settings, I haven't changed anything). The Temperatures and the noise that I get from the liquid cooling are making me not happy at all. I have read that this processor is wild and hot, But I was wondering if I could do something either with the cooling or the processor settings, but the thing is that I am a complete ignorant in this, and I don't want to either destroy the processor or ending with one that doesn't give me the performance I paid for. My other components:
/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-plus
cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb
/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-32gb-4x8gb-cl18
/seasonic-focus-gx-750-750w-80-plus-gold-modular
  1. I used cinebench R23.200 and I got 15.193 Multicore and 1.581 SIngle Core. I reached 90º. Regardless of the heat, is that performance ok or did it throttle due to temps?
  2. The rpm of the pump of the cooling is almost stable at 2410rpm. Is this too little? that is the official value that I have found in the cooler master webpage, but Could I get it higher through bios or software without any problems?
  3. I have watched a video of a guy saying that this problem could get fixed altering the PPT down to 120, the TDC to 85, and the EDC to 130 and he also mentioned something about PBO (I Have 0 knowledge about all those weird letters) He said that he only lost max 5% in performance. My rig idles at 50-55 with spikes up to 65º with doing very little. With videogames I can get up to 73º-75º and the fan noise is to shoot myself in the head.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try setting PPT 120 TDC 88 EDC 120 and then set curve optimiser negative offset -5/10/15 etc how ever low you can get it while remaining stable.

All these setting will be in the setting > advanced > AMD overclocking menu > PBO set to advanced.

Setting PBO limits to manual will bring up where you can adjust PPT TDC EDC and you will see curve optimiser a little way down.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Your scores are noraml.

The 5800X does run hot, that's also normal but they can be made to run cooler and quieter, i have mine running <80c in cinebench even with a small performance improvement over stock.

But it does involve playing with the BIOS, its actually very easy once you know how.

Set PBO to advanced.
Look for curve optimiser, set value to Negative all cores, and set 15, if the Youtube video you're citing doen't make it clear how to do that find one that does.

I would also suggest setting a fan curve for your AIO fans, first so the they don't start ramping up until about 65c and not go full speed until about 80c, as for CPU temps, it running at 90c while under heavy load is not a problem for it.

Associate
OP
Try setting PPT 120 TDC 88 EDC 120 and then set curve optimiser negative offset -5/10/15 etc how ever low you can get it while remaining stable.

All these setting will be in the setting > advanced > AMD overclocking menu > PBO set to advanced.

Setting PBO limits to manual will bring up where you can adjust PPT TDC EDC and you will see curve optimiser a little way down.
Your scores are noraml.

The 5800X does run hot, that's also normal but they can be made to run cooler and quieter, i have mine running <80c in cinebench even with a small performance improvement over stock.

But it does involve playing with the BIOS, its actually very easy once you know how.

Set PBO to advanced.
Look for curve optimiser, set value to Negative all cores, and set 15, if the Youtube video you're citing doen't make it clear how to do that find one that does.

I would also suggest setting a fan curve for your AIO fans, first so the they don't start ramping up until about 65c and not go full speed until about 80c, as for CPU temps, it running at 90c while under heavy load is not a problem for it.

Thank you for your comments. Getting advice from Silvio Dante and Peter Clemenza gives me hope, let me tell you. I guess that there will be a button in the bios to restore EVERYTHING to default settings if I mess something up?

I have also read about the "silicon lottery" and that the Negative curve thingy doesn't work with certain unlucky chips. Is that true? Will it crash if I haven't gotten lucky?

What do you think about this fan curve? My mobo only has 4 anchor points or however they are called

80ºC - 100%
70ºC - 75%
65ºC - 50%
0-35ºC - 35%

Caporegime
Thank you for your comments. Getting advice from Silvio Dante and Peter Clemenza gives me hope, let me tell you. I guess that there will be a button in the bios to restore EVERYTHING to default settings if I mess something up?

I have also read about the "silicon lottery" and that the Negative curve thingy doesn't work with certain unlucky chips. Is that true? Will it crash if I haven't gotten lucky?

What do you think about this fan curve? My mobo only has 4 anchor points or however they are called

80ºC - 100%
70ºC - 75%
65ºC - 50%
0-35ºC - 35%

:D

Yes, the will be a restore default button in the BIOS, it will be one of the F Keys or in the save menu.

silicon lottery is a thing, if you're worried about it maybe start with something lower like negative 10 or even 5 and work your way up, it goes to 30 but it would have to be a real good chip to go over 20.

Fan curves look good :)

When i have more time i'm happy to study your motherboard online so i can use that info to direct you exactly where to go and what to do, right now i just don't have that time :) But always glad to help.

Edit: there is nothing you can do that will damage the chip, unless you're actually trying to damage it, so don't worry about playing with it.

Soldato
Where you go to save the bios profiles there should be an option to reset called load optimised defaults.

Just start with a negative -5 in curve optimiser keep increasing till it crashes then back it down to you last stable settings.

Associate
OP
:D

Yes, the will be a restore default button in the BIOS, it will be one of the F Keys or in the save menu.

silicon lottery is a thing, if you're worried about it maybe start with something lower like negative 10 or even 5 and work your way up, it goes to 30 but it would have to be a real good chip to go over 20.

Fan curves look good :)

When i have more time i'm happy to study your motherboard online so i can use that info to direct you exactly where to go and what to do, right now i just don't have that time :) But always glad to help.

Edit: there is nothing you can do that will damage the chip, unless you're actually trying to damage it, so don't worry about playing with it.
Thanks man, I don't know how many forums I have posted in and until now I haven't gotten a conclusive solution

and yes, Mr. Dante, I will mind that advice

Caporegime
MSI X570 creation, it should be the same BIOS as your board.

This URL will start the video from where it matters to you, follow these instructions, only a few seconds long, save it and restart.

Before you do anything set your fan curves and make a note of your temps and score in Cinebench, after setting the Curve Optimiser in Advanced PBO, what he's doing in the video run the test again, see if there is any change, my advice is start with negative 10.

https://youtu.be/dfkrp25dpQ0?t=285

Soldato
Just to add to the good advice here. I would recommend installing Hwinfo, this will give you a good insight into how the chip is performing. Make a note of the information with your current setup. This will give you a good reference, then start tweaking. One of the easiest things to do that will give you a quick result once you have found the best value in curve optimiser is to disable PBO limits. You should see a good reduction in load temps. This basically sets the power limits to the chip default. I have tried manually setting the three individual parameters and for me disabling PBO limits gave me just the right performance. Just have a play but try not to change too many things at once.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Mine was just like yours using a fan cooler, I moved to the liquid freezer II 240 and the temps have been far far better

Associate

80ºC - 100%
70ºC - 75%
65ºC - 50%
0-35ºC - 35%
Yeah, I have something like this as well. Basically any value below 66C should be treated as idle. CPU actual idle is 35-40, but it spikes to 60 often on tiniest loads.
Also make sure the hysteresis is maxed, so that only consistent changes in temp make fan RPM change.

Pump RPM can be left at stock, unless it is really audible.

As far as other suggestions here, curve optimizer etc, it is something to tinker with to get some more performance. Won't help with temps much unless you basically lower power limits.

Associate
OP is using the same AIO as me but my temps are far lower. My system idles in the low 30s and repeated cb runs only hit high 70s.

What software is running on the background, as epic launcher increases idle temps, as does battlenet. Rgb software can also cause this...

Soldato
you temps are too high even for that AIO. check fitting and reapply thermal paste with MX4 or better...do the cross, big blob in the middle or spread thinly evenly across the top.

Caporegime
Ok, download HWInfo64, portable or installer, it doesn't matter, its free. https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Download CPU-Z, also free https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Open HWInfo and scroll down until you have the CPU info at the top, like you see in my screenshot, open CPU-Z, on the bench tab click the button stress CPU, let it run for a minute or two and with HWInfo in view take a screenshot.

Upload the screenshot and post it here, with it we can see what's going on. if you don't already have an image host you can use this. https://imgur.com/

eVRZZfk.png

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your answers, I have posted this issue in a lot of places but I wasn't expecting so much help... you are most kind. I am going to watch a video of a dude installing the same air cooling that I have and then I will take a deep breath and detach the part that goes into contact with the processor And look for anything weird. About the software-bios part of it, I don't know if I will be able to do it today and post screenshots because this thing is making my anxiety and headache spike as if my brain is a 5800x and I am feeling nauseous (I know that this isn't life or death situation but I have major depression and I am under meds)

I already have the Hwininfo installed and it is what I use to monitor the cpu temp near my tray icons when I am not gaming.(although I have different sensor infos regarding the cpu and I don't know if I am paying attention to the most accurate one. I chose to monitor that one that is under the name of the Motherboard section, called " CPU Tctl/Tdie" also see from time to time in other apps the term "package" but I don't know what it means either)

Edit: Regarding the thermal paste, if I detach the Water pump from the cpu to take a look, Do I need to apply more thermal paste before reattaching it? I don't Have any yet

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes best to clean both CPU and cooler base you can get cleaner specially for the job and re apply paste

I recently upgraded to 5900x I did the spread method but didn't feel it was great so re applied doing the cross method temps didn't change at least I know it's fine now just get OCD over this stuff

Associate
OP
Ok, I am currently making screenshots for you guys but in the meantime a have another issue: the fans of the liquid cooling are inside the case, installed on the ceiling of said case, pumping air INSIDE the case. I had my doubts about it and I contacted the shop which built the pc, they say that this is a pull configuration and it is perfectly valid. I have asked in around 8 forums and the consensus from users is that it should be the other way around: the fans in the ceiling should be pushing air from the inside to the outside. What do you think?

It is quite a conundrum, because getting air outside the case through the radiator means feeding it the hotter air that is contained inside the case, while having cool air being pumped inside the case through the radiator, I guess that it in principle is better for the radiator but I don't know if it is worse for air dynamics, since hot air rises by nature and cold air descends, so in this latest case you have hot air that wants to rise but you are hitting it with colder air coming from above.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, I am currently making screenshots for you guys but in the meantime a have another issue: the fans of the liquid cooling are inside the case, installed on the ceiling of said case, pumping air INSIDE the case. I had my doubts about it and I contacted the shop which built the pc, they say that this is a pull configuration and it is perfectly valid. I have asked in around 8 forums and the consensus from users is that it should be the other way around: the fans in the ceiling should be pushing air from the inside to the outside. What do you think?

It is quite a conundrum, because getting air outside the case through the radiator means feeding it the hotter air that is contained inside the case, while having cool air being pumped inside the case through the radiator, I guess that it in principle is better for the radiator but I don't know if it is worse for air dynamics, since hot air rises by nature and cold air descends, so in this latest case you have hot air that wants to rise but you are hitting it with colder air coming from above.

My RAD is in the top pushing air through it and out the top.

You're right there is some logic to pulling air through the rad from outside, its cooler air, BUT, pulling air through a RAD is much less efficient than pushing air through, generally you want to pushing air through the cooling unit rather than pulling, i would flip the fans over so they push through the RAD.

What's in the front of the case? are there any fans in the front of the case and are they pulling from the outside in or pushing inside out?, in the front they should be pulling air from outside in, that then feeds into the RAD and back out again. That's also how you get good airflow in the case

Associate
OP
My RAD in in the top pushing air through it and out the top.

You're right there is some logic to pulling air through the rad from outside, its cooler air, BUT, pulling air through a RAD is much less efficient than pushing air through, generally you want to pushing air through the cooling unit rather than pulling, i would flip the fans over so they push through the RAD.

What's in the front of the case? are there any fans in the front of the case and are they pulling from the outside in or pushing inside out?, in the front they should be pulling air from outside in, that then feeds into the RAD and back out again.

This is my case:
1224-cooler-master-mastercase-h500p-mesh-argb-cristal-templado-usb-32.jpg

It's got two big-ass air fans in the front sucking air in, one somewhat smaller at the back getting air outside the case, and the fans on the ceiling from the liquid cooling pumping air down from the outside. I am arguing over email with the shop, and after sending them a picture of the fans while deactivated they are insisting that the fans where installed to get air out the case through the radiator, but I am starting to suspect that they are gaslighting me. I open the case, run a benchmark and I place my hand under the ceiling fans and I could bet my life 300000 times over that I feel the torrent of air getting it inside the case, not out.

Whats-App-Image-2021-06-10-at-17-33-17.jpg

This is a view from inside the case, looking up. Do they look as if they are absorbing air from the outside, or getting air out the case?

Back
Top Bottom