Any experience on converting ancient Velux into electric Velux?

Associate
I have two OLD Velux windows that I want to make electric for opening and closing (and perhaps even the blinds)

I went on the Velux website and put in the details of my windows and it *appears* like it's quoting me £1738.80 PER window.

cY9bvR5.jpg

This seems a bit mad to me so I wondered whether I was doing it right and also whether there better companies or third party people who might be able to do it cheaper.

The windows I currently have are GGL 606 3000

They have electric blinds but they don't seem to work anymore and the padding on the wood (to prevent draughts?) is rotted away. In case I'm not making myself clear; these things are old.

Nevertheless the wood and window and pivoting are in good shape.

I figured I'd be able to buy a conversion kit and have someone come install it. Perhaps with solar power or connecting to my power. Then I sort out HomeKit for them and feel like a king.

That was the plan anyway until I priced it up on Velux.

Am I doing this wrong?

Associate
be thankful yours are velux:)we have 2 that were installed nearly 30 years ago that need replacing the sealed unit frame on one has rotted and ive had to fix it shut due to worry about being unsafe, the company is german and went out of business 15 years ago apparently, so it looks like either get some units made to fit inside the existing frames (they are fine no problems) or have them ripped out and new fitted which would be a pain as they are plastered inside and it would damage it grrrrrrrrrrr:(

Soldato
I recently had 4 Velux windows replaced, I opted to have the 2 bedroom ones replaced with manual MK08 top hung windows, and the two in the lounge, skylights as MK04 centre hung, one of these MK04 centre hung windows is the solar powered opening/closing windows and those 4 cost me £4,400 + VAT.

The solar powered opening and closing one was £350 more than the manually operated windows.

Associate
be thankful yours are velux:)we have 2 that were installed nearly 30 years ago that need replacing the sealed unit frame on one has rotted and ive had to fix it shut due to worry about being unsafe, the company is german and went out of business 15 years ago apparently, so it looks like either get some units made to fit inside the existing frames (they are fine no problems) or have them ripped out and new fitted which would be a pain as they are plastered inside and it would damage it grrrrrrrrrrr:(

well managed to downsize the hole with timber and fit a velux pk04 centre hung unit, made my own flashing temp, from felt and fitted on sunday......still got the inside to timber out should be tomorrow but seems watertight and looks good.

however.......i dont see myself ever taking the window out again....as it took 4 of us just to lift the panel into the frame and get it into the runners, not for the faint hearted as 2/3rds of the window is outside the roof before it clips in...may be market leaders but simple operation not.
on the oposite the existing panel took me alone 5 mins to unclip and unscrew then lift out of its runners on my own all done from inside the loft.....grrrrrr

Associate
OP
UPDATE.
Got a réponse from Velux

0KRhupo.png

The video they linked to was weird though bc the woman was outside her house and able to configure the velux. I had questions.

j4WpBEq.png

I received an informative reply.

k9PsF68.jpg

That sort of led to more questions tbh.

dxsv2xh.png
d4ENNU3.jpg

LAu7El1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom