• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worrying about idle RTX3080 temps.

Associate
Hey all.

I have a:
RTX 3080 MSI Ventus
i7 10700KF
32gb Ram (3200)

I'm quite worried about idle temperatures of my 3080. Just browsing and using pc, my GPU idles at 50C+ (minimum) playing red dead 2 or anything esle, the temps are about 70-76C. Case fans setup correctly. The case isn't really good and fans aren't really good as well, but still the temperatures should be lower. I bought this pc "pre-build" from Overclockers just beacause it had rtx 3080 and I couldn't wait for stocks to arrive. I don't really want to open the GPU and check thermal pads and thermals paste and losing the warranty.

I didn't really pay attention to idle temps before, but 70C+ were always present while gaming which is okay.... but still worrying.

Any help or this is okay ?

The GPU wasn't touched at all and never overclocked.

Photo https://imgur.com/a/fD2m92t

https://imgur.com/a/kidU0oS

Associate
Clean the dust, make sure the PC isn't placed in such a way that blocks airflow. Maybe it's just the Ambient temperature that's high, I know my sure is :D

Soldato
Hey all.

I have a:
RTX 3080 MSI Ventus
i7 10700KF
32gb Ram (3200)

I'm quite worried about idle temperatures of my 3080. Just browsing and using pc, my GPU idles at 50C+ (minimum) playing red dead 2 or anything esle, the temps are about 70-76C. Case fans setup correctly. The case isn't really good and fans aren't really good as well, but still the temperatures should be lower. I bought this pc "pre-build" from Overclockers just beacause it had rtx 3080 and I couldn't wait for stocks to arrive. I don't really want to open the GPU and check thermal pads and thermals paste and losing the warranty.

I didn't really pay attention to idle temps before, but 70C+ were always present while gaming which is okay.... but still worrying.

Any help or this is okay ?

The GPU wasn't touched at all and never overclocked.

Photo https://imgur.com/a/fD2m92t

https://imgur.com/a/kidU0oS

you'll proberly find that the msi card has a cool and quiet feature where the gpu in windows at idle the fans will stop hence why the card seems hot at 50 degrees, but it really isnt tbh, your load temps seem very reasonable too in the mid 70's under load, dont forget the 3080 is a 320w card, which under load dumps a tonne of hot air from it but still the core temp of 70-76 is totally fine.

you could download a program called msi afterburner, which would allow you to set custom fan speeds which will bring down the idle and load temps but at the expense of noise, you'd have to play around and find what your happy with

Associate
you'll proberly find that the msi card has a cool and quiet feature where the gpu in windows at idle the fans will stop hence why the card seems hot at 50 degrees, but it really isnt tbh

Most likely it's something like this, the GPU fans sitting at 0RPM unless the card gets >55 degrees.

If you decrease the ambient temp in your case the GPU might go down. But unlikely to be worrying unless it's 50 degrees and the GPU fans are going full tilt.

Also if you have a few screens plugged in that have different refresh rates this can (at least on older cards) cause the GPU not to down-lock, causing higher temps.

Download GPU-Z and afterburner and have a fiddle.

Associate
you'll proberly find that the msi card has a cool and quiet feature where the gpu in windows at idle the fans will stop hence why the card seems hot at 50 degrees, but it really isnt tbh, your load temps seem very reasonable too in the mid 70's under load, dont forget the 3080 is a 320w card, which under load dumps a tonne of hot air from it but still the core temp of 70-76 is totally fine.

you could download a program called msi afterburner, which would allow you to set custom fan speeds which will bring down the idle and load temps but at the expense of noise, you'd have to play around and find what your happy with

I would do this. And tweak the fan curve you are happy with, in Afterburner.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm quite worried about idle temperatures of my 3080. Just browsing and using pc, my GPU idles at 50C+ (minimum) playing red dead 2 or anything esle, the temps are about 70-76C
It's a feature MSI call Zero Frozr. The fans will stay at zero rpm when the card is idle or lightly loaded. The fans will kick in during heavy loads, eg gaming.

Have a look and see if fans are off when card is idle.

Soldato
Them temps seem fine if you really want to tweak look into undervolting you can match stock or better while using less power and temps in gaming

But needs patience in testing

Soldato
50 degrees+ minimum is too hot for idle, even if the card has fan stop. My 3090FE has fan stop and even then it idles at about 35 degrees, and my case does not have great airflow.

Ergo...

1. What is the idle clock speed and volts of the the card?
2. How many monitors/ displays do you have connected to it?

Associate
not a lot wrong with the temps tbh

looking at my rx6700 its sitting at 54 on idle with a hotspot of 56
but all the fans are turned of

cpu on 32-38 and its currently 20 somthing in the kitchen

Soldato
Will just be as others have said msi zero frozr technology. The card will stop the fans at low loads/temps, which will in the long run prolong fan life while keeping the system quiet.

There really is no need to have the fans running during idle because it can passively cool itself perfectly well enough during low loads. Idle temps realistically mean nothing because it’s at low voltage, 50c on a gpu is nothing.

Those load temps seem perfect during this weather also, nothing to worry about. 70-80c is nothing really. If it was 90-100c then sure but those temps are well within spec for a gpu of that wattage.

You can always mess around with the fan curve but you won’t really gain anything from it, just more noise. You can research into undervolting the card which will probably give you more performance with a cooler card, probably prolong its life also.

Soldato
As said above, it's turning the fans off as passive cooling is enough at idle. MSI cards have done it for years.

No need to manually run the fans, all you'll do is wear them out quicker...

Permabanned
An idle of 50C is high. My 3080 is at 32C (zero fan), ambiant 25C in a HAF XB case. Case fans, 2 x AF-140, are at 800 RPM. At 1440p/60 the most I've seen is 66C with the case fans, which are controlled with a Bitfenix Recon, at 1,200.

Take the side off your case to rule that out to begin with.

Permabanned
An idle of 50C is high. My 3080 is at 32C (zero fan), ambiant 25C in a HAF XB case. Case fans, 2 x AF-140, are at 800 RPM. At 1440p/60 the most I've seen is 66C with the case fans, which are controlled with a Bitfenix Recon, at 1,200.

Take the side off your case to rule that out to begin with.

Theres nothing wrong with those temps, factoring in its summertime and it has zero rpm fan mode. My TUF 3090 sits at 50 idle with 0rpm fan speed and maxes at 70 degrees/70% fan speed under full load. If I turn up my fans to 1200rpm thats about my load temps as well but I like them at 1000rpm.

Soldato
This is what temp my GTX 1080 idles at in hot weather at default. Then I ended up with GPU freezes and crashes. I used Msi Afterburner to keep the fans spinning all the time and the problems seem to have gone away. But maybe it will be fine in your case.

Permabanned
No it's not. It's well within safe limits.

Of course it's in safe limits, but it's high for an idle card.

Theres nothing wrong with those temps, factoring in its summertime and it has zero rpm fan mode. My TUF 3090 sits at 50 idle with 0rpm fan speed and maxes at 70 degrees/70% fan speed under full load. If I turn up my fans to 1200rpm thats about my load temps as well but I like them at 1000rpm.

It's summertime here in Scotland also...

As I said, with ambient 25C, I was idle at 32C. So 50C, 18C higher than 32C, does seem high. BTW. the 3080 TUF OC also uses an idle fan as I mentioned earlier, ZERO FAN.

Back
Top Bottom