• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Just need to upgrade the CPU to ryzen now so you're not bottlenecked. :p

The games I mostly play favour Intel - so I'd actually lose performance in my use case. Having 3 cores of my 11900k running at 5.4Ghz on air is pretty much impossible for a Ryzen CPU to match in those titles that favour Intel.

In almost all other newer games, I'm GPU bottlenecked at 4K, so CPU vendor doesn't matter. I chose stability :)

Associate
Are Moddiy 12-Pin cables any good ? They ship from outside the UK right ?

I got an EZ-DIY one off a popular website a few months back and really happy with it.

Had my 3060ti fe a while now and it's excellent, not even tempted to sell it to be honest as i'd rather have the GPU than the money

Associate
Are Moddiy 12-Pin cables any good ? They ship from outside the UK right ?

I got an EZ-DIY one off a popular website a few months back and really happy with it.

Had my 3060ti fe a while now and it's excellent, not even tempted to sell it to be honest as i'd rather have the GPU than the money
If your happy with the EZ-DIY one, what makes you consider the Moddiy?

I got the Corsair one, and have been happy with that. While not keen on the 12-pin really... it is nice and neat with just 1 cable. Esp compared to the "spaghetti monster" effect with custom cables on a 3x 8pin card.

Associate
If I wanted a new colour in future I can't get another EZDIY one as they're out of stock now.
I do have the Corsair one too but the braided cable looks better in my opinion
fair enough. :)
I like the under-stated look of the Corsair one right now.

If I ever change to a 3x 8-pin GPU I will for sure be getting some braided cables though. The daisy-chain PCIe connectors that most PSUs come with just look crap.

A2B

A2B

Associate
So I did the Thermal Odyssey 1.5mm repad, First attempt was the back, it mostly stopped the memory from throttling during eth mining, but only dropped a few degrees:

1.png

Then I did the front - and like a total idiot managed to snap the lower fan's ribbon cable clean in two when I separated the pcb!

2.png

I'm used to doing this kinda work and watched the teardown videos, but for some reason I got into my head that only two headers needed to be disconnected, and completely forgot the third! I was so damn sure I didn't check (otherwise I would have). It snapped so easily I didn't even notice until much later.

3.png

of course (it seems) you can't buy the FE fans anywhere yet, so I had to fix the cable.

I managed it after a bit of research. I never thought FCC cables can be fixed - they can, but it's a bitch. You can reveal the traces and tin them, but they would not 'bridge' ie. connect across the gap. I ended up soldering hair-thin copper wires across the gaps:

4.png

super-tricky and took a few attempts, but I got it in the end, and now it's humming away mining (phew):

5.png

So, before I was hitting around 106degC mem mining Eth (after the rear panel pads only). For the front I only replaced the VRAM pads with 1.5mm Thermalright Odyssey and left the rest stock. Now mining @ 94degC - a worthwhile 12degC drop (~16C overall).

Of course I only had basic thermal paste so now the die is 3C hotter, I'll probably fix that soon.

so yeah, _3_ headers on the 3080 kids :). Oh and that damn light-guide, that you have to insert _before_ fitting the PCB to the heatsink (it lives under the PCB).

Interestingly, the single SMD LED for the V-shape is an RGBW (ie. with a separate white chip - didn't take a pic).

Last edited:
Soldato
The games I mostly play favour Intel - so I'd actually lose performance in my use case. Having 3 cores of my 11900k running at 5.4Ghz on air is pretty much impossible for a Ryzen CPU to match in those titles that favour Intel.

In almost all other newer games, I'm GPU bottlenecked at 4K, so CPU vendor doesn't matter. I chose stability :)

What games exactly ?

Soldato

I bought the 5900x it's dropped in price and enough stock now it stays around 4900-5000 while gaming

Note this is the 5800x
https://youtu.be/yLUXBP9Lxv4

Last edited:
Associate
Straw poll. Are you keeping your FE stock, doing the pad mod or waterblocking?

To these FE gain anything under water?

Undervolting is good for FE cards IMO. Currently running my 3080 ti at 800mv @1800mhz and a 1/1 fan curve and it's cool 'n' quiet. I can run it with a +215mhz OC, +100% voltage and +114% power, however it hits 400w and gets a bit on the hot and loud side.

Soldato
Undervolting is good for FE cards IMO. Currently running my 3080 ti at 800mv @1800mhz and a 1/1 fan curve and it's cool 'n' quiet. I can run it with a +215mhz OC, +100% voltage and +114% power, however it hits 400w and gets a bit on the hot and loud side.

do you notice the difference in performance?

Back
Top Bottom