Selling on gumtree dos and don'ts.

Soldato
I've put my Titan X pascal card up for sale on gumtree but haven't sold anything that expensive on there before.

I was thinking I would keep my card in so they could see it working (I won't meet anyone), but how should I ask for the money? BT? Is that the safest way?

Soldato
CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY. I normally keep graphic cards in the system. show them GPU-Z and even have a benchmark to run if they want to see it working. i have found that 75% of the people who buy PC stuff are not even bothered about testing. I had someone buy a £500 PC off me which i delivered and just took it out of my boot and gave me the cash before even turning it on!

Soldato
OP
See I was worried about fake bank notes...if they BT me the money and I see it in my account isn't that better, or can they somehow get it back?

@Ayahuasca not sure you're serious about the filming....

Soldato
OP
As long as the BT isn't part of crime/fraud then it's fine, if at some point it turns out not to be legit it could get reversed.

So if the buyer is using someone else's details? Gotcha. So if I asked for say photo ID and the money came from an account with the same name I should be fine?

Soldato
Yes this happened to me. Was absolutely horrendous experience.

I'd absolutely only ever do cash now.
It is pretty unlucky but I guess high value graphics cards would be the target of choice as they're so easily shifted in an untraceable way.

What happened to you?

Caporegime
It is pretty unlucky but I guess high value graphics cards would be the target of choice as they're so easily shifted in an untraceable way.

What happened to you?

I was selling online to someone I didn't know/never met. It was completely online. But via a verified platform.
They paid me by BT

All was fine.

Then a few days later (I don't use my debit card much) my card was declined I a shop.
I didn't think much of it. Paid with my Credit card.
Went onto Internet banking and it was all. Locked Out. Like completely locked.
Phoned Halifax.
"you have to come into branch sir that is all we can tell you"
So pretty scary at that point not living near a branch.

I go to branch and basically it turns out I was paid by a fraudater who had accessed another person's bank and they suspected I might be in on it. Money laundering I guess.

Now this wasn't just my bank account being locked. Nothing went in, or out. Rent, cc payments, DDs, wages. Nothing.
Luckily at the time I also had a minor old santander account and my credit cards. So got by on that.

Also lucky timing my CCs had been paid the week before.

It took a week or 2 and several trips to Bank with proof of conversation, transactions etc. I was guilty until proven innocent.

It could have wrecked my credit file and more, but fortunately it was all resolved within 2 week gap and no payments were missed.

If I hadn't had a second account, if it had have happened on pay day/and of month CC payments etc... No fun.

But yeah kind of brought home how much power banks have over you.

The worst but was... At no point did they contact me. If I hadn't have checked could have been weeks. I rarely checked my current account.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was selling online to someone I didn't know/never met. It was completely online.

In person you can usually get a feel for them. I've taken BT a few times for higher priced items, and I've seen them key my bank details into my their phone app and you can usually tell if they are a genuine person.

Online BT, it's very easy for them to scam someone into paying you or using a hacked account because it's all done behind closed doors.

Caporegime
In person you can usually get a feel for them. I've taken BT a few times for higher priced items, and I've seen them key my bank details into my their phone app and you can usually tell if they are a genuine person.

Online BT, it's very easy for them to scam someone into paying you or using a hacked account because it's all done behind closed doors.

Yes agreed. It's much more likely to be genuine in person. That experience just made me super cautious!

Back
Top Bottom