£450 to upgrade

Associate
I currently have a ryzen 7 1800x, RX 580 8gb, 16gb 3200mghz ram, SSD, b450 msi gaming pro motherboard. This setup will be used to play rust. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Man of Honour
Something like a 3060 Ti would have been decent for games but since GPUs are nearly impossible to buy, then a 5800X if BIOS update available. Would be bottlenecked by the 580, but you can't buy both for £450 in current market.

Have no experience of the game: Rust.

Associate
you're graphics card will be ok for you for some time so i would look into the following.

1. check mobo bios
2. update bios if possible
3. buy a new cpu what you're mobo supports
4. wait wait wait wait for a new gpu

Associate
It is crazy. I bought my son a 580 for his birthday in October for £120. That same card is now going for triple that price.

Was that £120 brand new or second hand?

They're a bit behind the 1660 but not sure how they compare to a 1050 Ti.

I'm not going to be able to find anything soon, but really want a 1050 Ti or 4 Gb 550 for around £100. 580 for £120 would be an instant buy for me right now.

Soldato
I run Battlefield 5 on my RX 580 8GB at 1440p high graphics settings and get between 60 to 80fps. The games looks beautiful and the frame rate is nice too.

Soldato
Was that £120 brand new or second hand?

They're a bit behind the 1660 but not sure how they compare to a 1050 Ti.

I'm not going to be able to find anything soon, but really want a 1050 Ti or 4 Gb 550 for around £100. 580 for £120 would be an instant buy for me right now.
Brand new, this one. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-33r-ms.html

Actually, scrub that. Just checked the order. It was Dec 2019, must have got it him for Xmas. How time flies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Grabbed my 570 8gb for 130 i can't remember when, literally just before all the covid stuff hit the fan, my father also grabbed a 2060 3 odd months before that at 300 and it's absolutely bonkers looking at prices now.

Associate
@Envy78 Check your motherboard manufacture support page. Given your on 1st gen ryzen, I suspect it won't support 5000 series Ryzen parts but it may support 3000 series and you might be able to get a reasonable upgrade if it does. They usually provide downloadable tools for BIOS updates if it's required for a CPU upgrade.

Getting a decently priced GPU upgrade in the current climate as folks say, just isn't a thing so your probably better off holding onto your cash for a year and trying once the dust settles.

if you manage your quality settings, you should get reasonable performance out that machine. It's not a slouch and you'll probably end up happier if you wait a bit and can get more bang for the buck.

Associate
Yeah, if you can get your hands on a gpu you'd preferably wanna get a 3060ti. Try looking through facebook market place where you can probably find some used 20 series near you for a decent price (around 400 ish)

Associate
@Envy78 Check your motherboard manufacture support page. Given your on 1st gen ryzen, I suspect it won't support 5000 series Ryzen parts but it may support 3000 series and you might be able to get a reasonable upgrade if it does. They usually provide downloadable tools for BIOS updates if it's required for a CPU upgrade.

Getting a decently priced GPU upgrade in the current climate as folks say, just isn't a thing so your probably better off holding onto your cash for a year and trying once the dust settles.

if you manage your quality settings, you should get reasonable performance out that machine. It's not a slouch and you'll probably end up happier if you wait a bit and can get more bang for the buck.
Yeah don't think most boards that support 1st gen ryzen will support 5000 series, though you can pick up a 3600 really cheap which may be supported which will be a huge performance bump in terms of IPC.

Soldato

Yeah don't think most boards that support 1st gen ryzen will support 5000 series, though you can pick up a 3600 really cheap which may be supported which will be a huge performance bump in terms of IPC.
B450 boards support all ryzen chips although I believe you lose 1st gen support if you want to run 3000/5000 series CPU after updating the bios unless you have a B450 Max board which supports all generations concurrently.

Man of Honour
Your motherboard does support 5000 series cpu its a b450 just need to update the bios which theres loads of tutorials online.

Back
Top Bottom