*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
have you tried turning off the AP in the UDM for testing?

there must be a reason your devices are not connecting to it that must be configuration based

No, been through all settings and tweaks as suggested on the forums and still not helped.

The company I got it from have agreed i can send it back

Going to try a FlexHD as they get good reviews

Associate
Anyone mounted an AP but not high up on a ceiling/wall?

I'm going to be running some outdoor ethernet cables soon to get coverage around the house and will be terminating into a faceplate but don't want to drag a patch cable up to the ceiling to mount an AP as it looks horrible. So thought i'd just put it on the wall at a similar height to the ethernet faceplate. Thoughts? Or should I get one of those in-wall APs instead?

Upstairs I should be able to drop a cable from the attic straight through a ceiling so should be ok to mount on the ceiling. I've got one AP-Lite struggling to provide signal through the house at the moment.

Soldato
The AP's at one of our offices in Sweden are mounted on the wall at about knee height - a bodge by a lazy (and now replaced) IT chap. They work in the sense that there's coverage everywhere it's needed but it's not ideal.

Man of Honour
Do you actually need APs downstairs if you have them on the upstairs ceiling?

Also consider using flexHDs or in wall APs downstairs.
I have a single nanoHD upstairs and it covers the whole of a 4 bed new build without issue, plus decent enough coverage outside the house as well.

Man of Honour
Same, that’s what I was getting at :)
I do sometimes suffer in the garden which was solved with playing around with the channels. My new house is slightly larger so I may get a dedicated outdoor AP for the garden as that itself is much larger and landscaped, so will be use more often.

Associate
Do you actually need APs downstairs if you have them on the upstairs ceiling?

Also consider using flexHDs or in wall APs downstairs.

I've not been able to get an AP upstairs yet. Need to get a bigger ladder first and run the cables up into the attic, probably into a patch panel, then figure out how to drop them out through the ceilings. I'm pretty terrible at DIY, scared of heights, claustrophobic and quite lazy, so not looking forward to it. In the mean time my one AP sits is in the garage and struggles to cover the whole house, especially upstairs. There's a tonne of blackspots and it's quite annoying. I will eventually run cables to all rooms and install ports on the walls.

I have a single nanoHD upstairs and it covers the whole of a 4 bed new build without issue, plus decent enough coverage outside the house as well.

I am hoping I'll get better coverage upstairs once I can run the cable(s) but that's not going to happen for a while. I can get a cable into my living room relatively easily so that's why I was wondering. I have a network port behind my TV but when I put the AP there it was significantly less performant than when it was in the garage (on the other side of the wall). Not sure whether the TV was causing the issue or not.

Soldato
My IOS app is showing a firmware update for my 3 x LR APs (4.3.28.11361) and US-8-60W POE Switch (5.43.35.12698) last time I did an AP upgrade it broke our iPhone XR wifi connection we have 4 of these in our household

Any reason not to upgrade? Bar the above which I'm loathed to

Associate
I'm starting to give up on the AP's. I may well buy some newer ones and see first though.

1x NanoHD and 1x AC-Lite in the house with another AC-Lite in the shed.

Still have awful coverage in the places that matter, i'll be moving them around again soon but i seem to get better coverage off just a single old very old, ac66u.

Soldato
Finally got round to mounting my G4 Bullet on the front of the house earlier this week. Working well with good quality picture and Smart Detections are also quite cool (only had G3 Flexes thus far).

One issue which I was expecting is, because it's mounted high, the IR is fairly weak at night. Received the IR extender yesterday which I'll try to get fitted this weekend and see what difference it makes.

Back
Top Bottom