• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Straw poll. Are you keeping your FE stock, doing the pad mod or waterblocking?

To these FE gain anything under water?
Currently running stock cooler but underrvolted. Was looking at a WB today as I have a custom loop but have not plucked up the courage to take the 3090 FE apart. Seeing pictures like the cable snapping makes me think I should just leave well alone.

Soldato
Straw poll. Are you keeping your FE stock, doing the pad mod or waterblocking?

To these FE gain anything under water?

Under water, normally sits in the low 40's. Noticed a couple more bins stable being much cooler. Go with the undervolt / overclock root and works very well. Save some power, and by not shoving massive amounts of power into the core + cold temps actually allows me to stabalise higher clocks.

Associate
Thanks for the 3090 repad tips. What's the best way to thermal paste the gpu? Is it a pea sized blob in the middle?

Full thick spread gives the best results (NOT full THIN spread but full thick spread). Avoid runny pastes like MX-4. MX-5 "may" work and is better than MX-4 but it's still runny. Kryonaut Extreme is better than MX-5. The best pastes in order are Thermalright TFX (VERY hard to spread, maybe boil the syringe first or use a hairdryer on the paste after pushing it on the die to soften it) SYY-157 / FuzeIce Plus / Maxtor CTG9 (these all seem to be identical pastes, same performance as TFX and have the same makeup as TFX, much cheaper than TFX, and are a lot easier to spread than TFX but are still thick, thicker than Kryonaut Extreme), MX-5 / Kryonaut Extreme (thick application).

Don't use thin runny pastes on Ampere because the die isn't flat. Avoid high SHORE or hard to compress thermal pads on the gpu core side of the card (backplate side has more leeway).

Soldato
Thanks for the 3090 repad tips. What's the best way to thermal paste the gpu? Is it a pea sized blob in the middle?

Bear in mind you're voiding your warranty if you replace the pads on your 3090. Lets say your 3090 dies, for an unrelated reason, a few months down the line. Send it back for RMA - they'll just send back your dead card, as warranty void.

The three year warranty also adds value to the card... I'll be upgrading to the 4000 series upon launch and want to be honest when selling, confirming the card has a full warranty (that I'll help out with if need be, to get around any warranty transfer issues). I personally wouldn't feel right not being upfront about the card having no warranty if I'd removed the pads, so that'll affect resale value no end.

Just my $2.

A2B

A2B

Associate
couple of things I learned about GPU repasting today (in addition to what was said):

- you want a thick paste to avoid the 'pump-out' effect. this is when the repeated thermal cycles (on/off) gradually push out the thinner pastes from under the die and you end up with less and less paste doing something useful. this phenomenon is caused by the thermal changes, and a thicker paste will resist it far longer. that's why the stock paste seems almost dried up, turns out it's not but it applies like that, so it lasts for years.

- whatever you do, make sure the _entire_ die is covered. CPUs are different as they have heat spreaders - so even if you miss a bit with paste, its heat will spread and get largely picked up by the covered areas. but the GPU is the raw die, so if you miss a spot, that spot can literally burn out the die underneath!

so, either spread paste over the whole die manually, or do something like the cross with 4 dots pattern, to make sure every mm is covered. too much paste is fine (just annoying to clean up if you ever do it again), too little can destroy parts of the die.

didn't know either before I saw the GamersNexus interview with Der8auer, who owns part of Thermal Grizzly. but then I've never repasted a GPU AFAIK:

(4) Der8auer Deep-Dives on Thermal Paste: Misconceptions, Curing, & More | LTX 2019 - YouTube

Last edited:
Associate
Bear in mind you're voiding your warranty if you replace the pads on your 3090. Lets say your 3090 dies, for an unrelated reason, a few months down the line. Send it back for RMA - they'll just send back your dead card, as warranty void.

The three year warranty also adds value to the card... I'll be upgrading to the 4000 series upon launch and want to be honest when selling, confirming the card has a full warranty (that I'll help out with if need be, to get around any warranty transfer issues). I personally wouldn't feel right not being upfront about the card having no warranty if I'd removed the pads, so that'll affect resale value no end.

Just my $2.

I agree and when I come to sell it I would state the pads had been modded.

However, Nvidia clearly states the warranty is only with the original purchaser and non-transferable so even if you don't modify the card and resell it or purchase a card secondhand you don't have a warranty unless the person you bought it off is kind enough to return it for you for repairs.

"Limitations of warranty
This warranty applies only to the original purchasers of the Warranted Products from an NVIDIA-authorized third party or www.nvidia.com ; this warranty will not extend to any person that acquires a Warranted Product on a used basis."

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/support/warranty/

Soldato

However, Nvidia clearly states the warranty is only with the original purchaser and non-transferable so even if you don't modify the card and resell it or purchase a card secondhand you don't have a warranty unless the person you bought it off is kind enough to return it for you for repairs.

"Limitations of warranty
This warranty applies only to the original purchasers of the Warranted Products from an NVIDIA-authorized third party or www.nvidia.com ; this warranty will not extend to any person that acquires a Warranted Product on a used basis."

Depends if you're willing to include the original receipt in the purchase I guess.

The three year warranty also adds value to the card... I'll be upgrading to the 4000 series upon launch and want to be honest when selling, confirming the card has a full warranty.
Doesn't the FE only have a 2 year warranty?

Soldato

"Limitations of warranty

Hence why I wrote " (that I'll help out with if need be, to get around any warranty transfer issues)" in the very same post you just quoted......

Associate

Just my $2.
You peddle this so far and wide.

On the one hand you keep telling people they have no warranty because they changed there pads.
Then state you would help somebody you sold your card to in case of a warranty claim.

Both situations are technically outside of nVidia's warranty terms as they are written.

And both can be dealt with by not telling the full-truth when it comes to the RMA request.
You tell them what they need to know. (Card failed... requesting replacement).
In the case of the changed pads, you dont mention that. In the case of the card being sold on, you either pretend to have moved house, or purchased as a gift or whatever.

In both cases nVidia COULD spend time to work out they have been lied to. Nvidia could open the card up and see the changed pads.
They could see the invoice you provided has a totally different name/address on and void on that.

Sure you could make the warranty claim on the persons behalf... but thats a lot of trust the buyer is putting in you. As the replacement is going to go to you as well.

So please, stop making these claims in every thread where somebody mentions changing thermal pads.
WE understand that there is a risk. As with anything.
You could fluff up installing the card in the PCIe slot and break the connector... not covered by warranty either... yet we take the very small risk.

IT is my belief, and I have yet to see anybody state to the contrary that if you simply RMA'ed a card with replaced pads, without making mention of that nVidia would be unlikely to disassemble your card to check.
Maybe I am wrong. Maybe nVidia routinely takes apart all cards returned to them before approving a replacement. But it would make little sense to me from a business perspective. (How many failed cards will have had pads changed? Will you be able to prove it?)

And again, even if they did take the card apart and discovered changed pads, just because they say so on there website does not mean there obligations to you as a customer ends.
Otherwise they could simply state "if you played CoD on the card your warranty is void" or any other unreasonable restriction.

I have seen various posts about nVida RMA experience, and they seem pretty reasonable, and pretty quick turn arounds. One poster on this very forum detailed his experience having even opened up his card and admitting this to Nvidia. They still replaced his card.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
He does come across as having a dog with a bone about pad changes. The thing is the forums are originally based on 'overclocking' which is skirting around the risky items of pushing your hardware, cooling, modding etc.

We then approach the topic of 'right to repair' and if you want to maintain a component such as take it apart to clean the fan assembly or apply thermal paste, this is a very similar activity and should not be vilified. People looking after their card should not be punished as long as they take the time and care necessary.

It is quite obvious that the pad/goo applied from factory was garbage and with heavy enough use would probably not last the full three years from my observation..

Associate
He does come across as having a dog with a bone about pad changes. The thing is the forums are originally based on 'overclocking' which is skirting around the risky items of pushing your hardware, cooling, modding etc.

We then approach the topic of 'right to repair' and if you want to maintain a component such as take it apart to clean the fan assembly or apply thermal paste, this is a very similar activity and should not be vilified. People looking after their card should not be punished as long as they take the time and care necessary.

It is quite obvious that the pad/goo applied from factory was garbage and with heavy enough use would probably not last the full three years from my observation..
yes exactly! The dam forum is called "overclockers", and Id bet a good number of the members here do exactly that.... which technically voids the warranty too.
You just dont mention that in an RMA...

And yea... people wouldnt accept this in other goods they buy. Imagine being told by car manufacture that your warranty is void because you changed the oil yourself.

And to be clear... if you break something changing the pads, thats a different matter.

Associate
IT is my belief, and I have yet to see anybody state to the contrary that if you simply RMA'ed a card with replaced pads, without making mention of that nVidia would be unlikely to disassemble your card to check.
Maybe I am wrong. Maybe nVidia routinely takes apart all cards returned to them before approving a replacement. But it would make little sense to me from a business perspective. (How many failed cards will have had pads changed? Will you be able to prove it?)

And again, even if they did take the card apart and discovered changed pads, just because they say so on there website does not mean there obligations to you as a customer ends.
Otherwise they could simply state "if you played CoD on the card your warranty is void" or any other unreasonable restriction.

I have seen various posts about nVida RMA experience, and they seem pretty reasonable, and pretty quick turn arounds. One poster on this very forum detailed his experience having even opened up his card and admitting this to Nvidia. They still replaced his card.

I agree it does seem they are pretty reasonable regarding RMAs. I do feel after plugging in a completely dead card to run diagnostics, they may remove the cooler and backplate to examine the PCB for any obvious points of failure though.

I'm sure I saw that a poster kept the original pads in ziplock bags. I certainly think that's a good idea.

Something else to bear in mind is that the FE cards have always been popular for watercooling and RMAs have been successfully completed for failed cards. The buyer has put the original cooler back on before sending it for RMA.

So ultimately does it really matter if the the pads have been carefully replaced? I don't think so.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
And yea... people wouldnt accept this in other goods they buy. Imagine being told by car manufacture that your warranty is void because you changed the oil yourself.

And to be clear... if you break something changing the pads, thats a different matter.

Yes - imagine you went to the MOT and the car fails on a couple of things and you try to challenge them with "well I didnt open up the bonnet and touch anything because it would maybe void my warranty". Part of this is the companies like nvidia have to be changing their stance somewhat because the fearmongering that seems to be present is you cant touch it.

They tried this on covering screws with void stickers (manufacturers) but this is not the way. I think if this right to repair ever gets cemented properly across the globe it can split up the grey areas into categories that do not void the warranty. Brands that allow you to take off the cooler or replace pads will take preference as some people then would buy them as its clear what you can/cant do and you get the warranty support you need.

Associate
The three year warranty also adds value to the card... I'll be upgrading to the 4000 series upon launch and want to be honest when selling, confirming the card has a full warranty (that I'll help out with if need be, to get around any warranty transfer issues)
As would be buyer, I don't feel it adds any value to the card as the "warranty" is totally reliant on the goodwill of the seller, unless I personally know the seller.

Life can change in the interim between buying and requiring RMA. If the transaction was done here the seller could leave forum, or be banned, or change email address, or change mobile number, or move house, or move abroad, or pass away or simply refuse to RMA it.

Back
Top Bottom