Win 10 latest updates

Permabanned
Got a few desktops which are fine but my hp 15 laptop with the latest updates is just dog slow.

Looked on the hp site and there was drivers for win 7 x64, so I installed win 7 and boy does the laptop now fly quick.

Not even arsed about installing anti virus its only for browsing on.

Anyone else find any issues with the latest win 10 updates?

Man of Honour
Don't get me started.

All I can say is any machine I actually want to rely on where possible is still/back on 7. Security considerations suck but then given the number of security issues constantly coming to light with 10, many of which should not have existed in the first place and some there is evidence of being actively exploited, your situation materially probably isn't much different.

Soldato
I really just don't understand any of this. Having used W10 systems in production since July 2016, I have never, with one exception, had an issue with Windows Update, but that's probably more to do with how WU is configured and managed.

I really just don't understand any of this. Having used W10 systems in production since July 2016, I have never, with one exception, had an issue with Windows Update, but that's probably more to do with how WU is configured and managed.

There are mitigating circumstances, poor HDD/SSD health, user error like people pulling the power mid update, upgrade conflicts... Classic Shell is good example and often causes issues.
Guess what I'm saying is dealing with the public / end user is a little different than a corporate environment where updates are tested and vetted first before being rolled out across the network to the same PC hardware.

Soldato
There are mitigating circumstances, poor HDD/SSD health, user error like people pulling the power mid update, upgrade conflicts... Classic Shell is good example and often causes issues.
Guess what I'm saying is dealing with the public / end user is a little different than a corporate environment where updates are tested and vetted first before being rolled out across the network to the same PC hardware.

Except nope, because all my clients patch aggressively, straight from WU. They used to have rings, but now it's a 7 day deferral. To be fair though, they use the enterprise supportability matrix, ie, only use H2 or xx09 versions of W10 knowing full well they contain all the fixes to bugs seen by consumers in H1 xx03 versions. If you're an organisation using H1/xx03 as a production image, then you deserve everything you get :D

Soldato
Who the hell do MS think they are - adding their "news and interests" bullcrap to MY taskbar without asking MY permission to change MY setup, making think I'd picked up a boot-up virus because THEY didn't notify me before adding it??????

Man of Honour

There are plenty of articles documenting widespread disruption with Windows updates...

One of the problems with Windows update as well is whoever(s) is responsible for implementing/designing it is ****** narrow minded and can't see outside of the idealised models they seem to have for the end user - if your operation fits with their ideal of how a company's IT works or you are the every day kind of desktop user, live your life to a fairly fixed pattern, leave the system running 24x7 (so updates largely get done overnight when the system is unattended) and have a reliable high speed internet connection then mostly it works fairly well. On the other hand though if you don't fit well with their highly idealised view of how people use the OS it can be a hugely obnoxious and disruptive experience and that isn't even taking into account updates that have actual problems.

Soldato
Don't get me started.

All I can say is any machine I actually want to rely on where possible is still/back on 7. Security considerations suck but then given the number of security issues constantly coming to light with 10, many of which should not have existed in the first place and some there is evidence of being actively exploited, your situation materially probably isn't much different.

i still get updates for windows 7. something to do about extended security updates.

Soldato
Anyone else find any issues with the latest win 10 updates?

Yeah, my issue is the internet will stop working and windows is seemingly working fine but trying to restart doesn't do anything, neither shut down, ctrl alt + del doesn't bring up task manager so I have to hard reset

Also had some weird stuttering behaviour for a few days where the cursor would stutter, I thought it might be spikes on GPU or CPU as that is what it looked like but nope they're both fine and untaxed

Really not liking this update at all

Soldato
See my "Get me Gates" thread for my recent experience with Windows Update! the last one fell over and failed to complete and when I eventually went back to it all I got was a blank page under the title. That ended up with a system reset after all other solutions failed, took all afternoon to get my email working and it's lost all my historical mails despite selecting the option to retain personal and app data/ I've also got to reinstall all my Steam games after that got wiped and Steam won't update without completely uninstalling then reinstalling the title (dreading Flight Sim 2020!).

Soldato
Found some more issues, certain VST's are being picked up on my DAW's VST scanner, shows them as able to be loaded but cannot load them and says they're not installed on projects that use them

Just decided to do a restore, never known an update to cause so many issues

Soldato
Who the hell do MS think they are - adding their "news and interests" bullcrap to MY taskbar without asking MY permission to change MY setup, making think I'd picked up a boot-up virus because THEY didn't notify me before adding it??????
its rubbish

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom