Tories lost the 2019 election among working age adults

Soldato
No you can say it is equal in duration to a third of the time you were working. It is NOT a third of your working life. You have already worked the three thirds so it is a quarter of your life between 18 and 81.

Sorry for being a pedant. :D

Caporegime
No you can say it is equal in duration to a third of the time you were working. It is NOT a third of your working life. You have already worked the three thirds so it is a quarter of your life between 18 and 81.

Sorry for being a pedant. :D

You are assuming your working life is right up until you die. That doesnt happen.

I based working life as being up to retirement.

Your 25% is on their adult life, not their working life.

Sorry for being a pedant :p

Permabanned
463 post of the same thing being said lol
Why can't cheesy accept the reasonable answer that if more young people got up and used their vote they would more than likely get their way?
I have the feeling it's only a very vocal minority of young people that actually care about political issues and the rest are happy just making the best of a bad world?
I've never voted for anything myself, due to just being apathetic about the whole thing.

Soldato
You are assuming your working life is right up until you die. That doesnt happen.

I based working life as being up to retirement.

Your 25% is on their adult life, not their working life.

Sorry for being a pedant :p
Ah but there is no automatic retirement age now. You have to apply (letter of resignation to your boss or HR dept.). There is no way they can prevent you going of course and if you are going a bit gaga they could probably ease you out. You could work until you die if everything still works and you want to.
So the actual retirement age is up to the individual. I left it about a year eventually before making a claim but i was ready to go.

Soldato
463 post of the same thing being said lol
Why can't cheesy accept the reasonable answer that if more young people got up and used their vote they would more than likely get their way?
I have the feeling it's only a very vocal minority of young people that actually care about political issues and the rest are happy just making the best of a bad world?
I've never voted for anything myself, due to just being apathetic about the whole thing.

It's hard to know whether the majority young people today are generally less engaged and whether it is a minority that are most engaged.

I can only say from my experience when I was younger and first able to vote in 2005, that many young people who didn't vote were working and not at college or university. My evidence is only anecdotal, but it seemed that most of the young people engaged at the time, were those who voted for the lib dems and wanted more liberal policies, and the older age ranges of 30-55 were voting Labour when Blair was PM. A completely different political climate though.

Today when I vote I don't see any young people at all, and all I see are mostly pensioners voting along with the odd few in their 40s, but again anecdotal.

If I recall, the last time I saw young people really make the effort was probably in 2010 when they were voting for Nick Clegg who promised to cancel uni tuition fees.

I don't know what other people's experience has been though.

Associate
Young people are grossly outnumbered by old people.

Even if every young person voted, they would still be at a disadvantage political as their demographic does not have an equal weight compared to older generations simply based on numbers.

Personally I feel that there should be a legal requirement to vote, but that a "none of the above" option is acceptable.

I also feel that a pensioners vote should be worth less than a working persons vote. Their time has passed and the baton should be more swiftly passed onto younger generations.

I don't feel that pensioners would get shafted by this change either. No one wants to see their parents or grandparents disadvantaged.

Soldato
You're like a dog with a bone on this non-voter stuff.

The facts on the ground are that working age people, represented by working age people who voted, were overridden by retirees who voted.

And the question is whether a country steered on the mandate of retirees, over that of working age people, is a country likely to be making good decisions for the future.

Your question (or the insinuation from your OP's media click bait) is flawed and disingenuously presented.

e.g. to play devils advocate, If it's about those that work and contribute the most having the most say.. In 2019, the age at which you where more likely to vote conservative than labour was 39.. If you then look at the amount of 'tax' paid on average , 40-60 years olds contribute 4 times more than 20-24 year olds, 40-60 year old males contribute 5-6 times the tax compared to 20-24 year old males.. So really people under 40 shouldn't vote either??

The 'facts' are that you can present the data any which way you want to favour your preferred outcome, I mean being retired is no less worthy than having almost no life experience although I would say those saying people have no right to complain when they can't be bothered to turn up are actually correct..

The simple truth is, as stats show, it's about being 'fair'.. if younger people got off their asses and voted they'd have plenty of say, and retirees have every right to also vote, this makes government look after both ends of the Spectrum, a Spectrum that is funded by those in the middle..

Soldato
If I recall, the last time I saw young people really make the effort was probably in 2010 when they were voting for Nick Clegg who promised to cancel uni tuition fees.
So like the old, the young are going to vote based upon their own interests ;) :D

Given the amount of rhetoric about wanting old people dead for voting Brexit these days, I'm not sure the young would care about stiffing the pensioners so much. :D

Soldato
So like the old, the young are going to vote based upon their own interests ;) :D

Given the amount of rhetoric about wanting old people dead for voting Brexit these days, I'm not sure the young would care about stiffing the pensioners so much. :D

Yes, of course. Each age group will vote for their own interests, but only one still bothers to.

Soldato
Your question (or the insinuation from your OP's media click bait) is flawed and disingenuously presented.

e.g. to play devils advocate, If it's about those that work and contribute the most having the most say.. In 2019, the age at which you where more likely to vote conservative than labour was 39.. If you then look at the amount of 'tax' paid on average , 40-60 years olds contribute 4 times more than 20-24 year olds, 40-60 year old males contribute 5-6 times the tax compared to 20-24 year old males.. So really people under 40 shouldn't vote either??

The 'facts' are that you can present the data any which way you want to favour your preferred outcome, I mean being retired is no less worthy than having almost no life experience although I would say those saying people have no right to complain when they can't be bothered to turn up are actually correct..

The simple truth is, as stats show, it's about being 'fair'.. if younger people got off their asses and voted they'd have plenty of say, and retirees have every right to also vote, this makes government look after both ends of the Spectrum, a Spectrum that is funded by those in the middle..
This is a great shout. Given cheesy has decided to remove retired people due to economic activity (i.e. they're retired) then this should also be looked upon favourable as an idea.

Soldato

Can't help but speculate how much the Conservatives would change to capture the younger vote if the younger people started voting in greater numbers.

Soldato
This is a great shout. Given cheesy has decided to remove retired people due to economic activity (i.e. they're retired) then this should also be looked upon favourable as an idea.
Still paying taxes though, be it on pension income, council tax, VAT... No taxation without representation. :)

Back
Top Bottom