Paddle board

Soldato
Morning all. :)

Missis wants a paddle board for pootling about on the Thames.

Can anyone recommend a decent beginners board? Had a look about and am getting confused.
Decathlon?

Soldato
The Decathlon boards are meant to be alright, just watch out as i think the boards don't come with pump/bag etc so need to be purchased separately. Otherwise there's a brand called Aztron at the cheaper end which look reasonable. There's a lot of negativity towards cheap boards, but i think in the last year or so even the cheap boards are fairly reasonable. Especially if it's just for pottering around on.

What kind of budget are you looking for?

If it's for your missis, then a lot of places steer women towards the smaller all round boards, but if you're going distance on the Thames i'd go for something around 11'6 x 30 to be a little better in a straight line.

There's a paddling based thread in the Sports Arena and @Skidder paddles on the Thames so may have advice.

Caporegime
Cheers Marv, I'll go and hunt out the thread!

Have a look on Facebook. Some good groups on there who will give you ideas.
I'm a kayaker so can't offer any actual advice, but I'm a member of a few 'paddle sports' groups. (not the sexual kind, I know what this forum is like! :D )

Associate
Any tips for cruising down the river at the moment and angry swans being over protective of their cygnets?
Standing on the river bank yesterday we had a a swan from the other side of the river rear up and start flying at us!
I want to take my paddle board up the river but no doubt these gits will try and murder me!

Soldato
Any tips for cruising down the river at the moment and angry swans being over protective of their cygnets?
Standing on the river bank yesterday we had a a swan from the other side of the river rear up and start flying at us!
I want to take my paddle board up the river but no doubt these gits will try and murder me!

Weird, i've never had any issues with swans providing i give them a wide berth and go slow, whether they're solo or nesting.

Soldato
I fancy one for here (a bit misty yesterday, obviously this is low tide ) would have to be inflatable at the moment, but if the stars align as planned (stockmarket thread post first) will be able to launch from garden (yeah right, dream on ) think a nice wide stable one just to chill on would be good , you know swim around a little, sunbathe,

Screenshot-20210610-101353-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Man of Honour
Morning all. :)

Missis wants a paddle board for pootling about on the Thames.

Can anyone recommend a decent beginners board? Had a look about and am getting confused.
Decathlon?

I hope that you’re a fair way upriver, the Thames is 75 metres from my front door in Rotherhithe, and I wouldn’t stand on the “beach” at low tide, let alone go in it.

Caporegime
Ive been looking to get one too. Almost bought one for a good price the other day, but realised that it was very thin/narrow.

From some basic research, it would seem that one that can hold a high PSI and is 6 inches thick should be pretty good. Apparently, unless you are small/light or a child, the thin ones can bend quite easily, and if they are narrow they can be tricky to stand on.

Soldato
Ive been looking to get one too. Almost bought one for a good price the other day, but realised that it was very thin/narrow.

From some basic research, it would seem that one that can hold a high PSI and is 6 inches thick should be pretty good. Apparently, unless you are small/light or a child, the thin ones can bend quite easily, and if they are narrow they can be tricky to stand on.

We have a thread in Sports Arena that might be worth a good read through :)

Soldato
OP
I hope that you’re a fair way upriver, the Thames is 75 metres from my front door in Rotherhithe, and I wouldn’t stand on the “beach” at low tide, let alone go in it.

We're up on the Oxfordshire / Berkshire border. Loads of paddle boarders round here.

So we did buy on from Decathalon and I love it.

Associate

I bought one from the Range that was 5" thick, returned it as agreed it was not up to the job.
I now have a Aquaplanet PACE, an it's great (check out YT) 6" thick - just need an air rifle to deal with the Swans haha (kidding)

Back
Top Bottom