• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 XT only viable option south of £800???

Associate
Hi all,

So I currently have a Legion 5 with Ryzen 4800 and 2060, but it's pretty much docked 99% of the time as I find it a faff to unplug everything, get the adaptor, drag into Lounge then get death stares from other half about the fan noise...

I've got a nice 1080P Ultrawide LG that I use with it, but just getting a 3440x1440P ultra wide today as want a little better desktop experience. Also Wanting to get back into some decent games so really the 2060 won't cut it much (also backed the OneXplayer for my mobile gaming requirements).

So looking at building a rig, probably a Ryzen 3600x in my Mini-ITX Core V1 case I still have (285mm max GFX length) and really struggling to think of what GFX card would be best.

It seems, if you want new, the only option is the 6700 XT, I tried in vain yesterday with the 3070 Ti, but that was such a p*** take.

Figured maybe I just settle for an old beefcake card for a while like a Vega 56/64 or Titan X, or even a 2080 Ti, but prices for those are still super crazy, so the 6700 XT still seems to be the only real option right now?

Am I missing any other card type that might work nice? I mean the 6700 XT at ultra wide 1440P looks great and still seems to give north of 80FPS at Ultra in things like Days Gone or RE Village. Would be a no brainer if they were going at £550 or so, but no such luck there for a while...

Cheers for any thoughts!

Associate
I've seen it pop up quite frequently for £700 but yeah, it's either that or a £600 3060.

What a time to be alive eh?

So looking at building a rig, probably a Ryzen 3600x in my Mini-ITX Core V1 case I still have (285mm max GFX length) and really struggling to think of what GFX card would be best.

It seems, if you want new, the only option is the 6700 XT, I tried in vain yesterday with the 3070 Ti, but that was such a p*** take.

You're really restricting yourself by going Mini-ITX if you don't even have a GPU; 285mm is pretty small!. At least consider the NR200P ITX case, then you don't have to worry so much about getting a GPU that fits; the case even takes ATX now (with brackets).

Soldato
Its difficult.

If i had no graphics card I would buy a 6700xt today.

Expensive yes, its also not a bad little card, 12GB of RAM dare I say it will outlast a 3070? - although on paper its on average 11% slower.

It really depends on how things pan out unless you have a crystal ball no one knows.

If things get worse over the next 6 months/yea/who knows - you might be kicking yourself you didnt go for it.

That being said 6700xt available has been around for many weeks now, constant stock, so I wouldnt say there is any rush if you need time to decide.

In my personal situation, my 1070 is still going, and £750-£800 is too much money to justify an upgarde at this time.

Again, if I had no GPU for example mine broker, I would bite the bullet and buy one today.

Soldato
Hi all,

So I currently have a Legion 5 with Ryzen 4800 and 2060, but it's pretty much docked 99% of the time as I find it a faff to unplug everything, get the adaptor, drag into Lounge then get death stares from other half about the fan noise...

I've got a nice 1080P Ultrawide LG that I use with it, but just getting a 3440x1440P ultra wide today as want a little better desktop experience. Also Wanting to get back into some decent games so really the 2060 won't cut it much (also backed the OneXplayer for my mobile gaming requirements).

Figured maybe I just settle for an old beefcake card for a while like a Vega 56/64 or Titan X, or even a 2080 Ti, but prices for those are still super crazy, so the 6700 XT still seems to be the only real option right now?

Am I missing any other card type that might work nice? I mean the 6700 XT at ultra wide 1440P looks great and still seems to give north of 80FPS at Ultra in things like Days Gone or RE Village. Would be a no brainer if they were going at £550 or so, but no such luck there for a while...

Cheers for any thoughts!

I would buy a prebuilt system or another laptop. You can get systems with RTX3060,RTX3070 and RX6700XT GPUs for less than building it yourself. There are laptops with an RTX3060 for £900.

Associate
I was waiting for a 3060ti but I gave up in the end as I don't think they really exist! I got an Asrock 6700xt Phantom gaming from here and it's working great. It was almost worth the expense just to stop my 24-7 obsession with searching for a card and I think it should be good enough for my purposes for quite some time.

Associate
If you really want a new card right now and can afford it, then buy the 6700XT.

Buying a 3000 series these days is all down to luck.

Z1L6SNK.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't wait, get mugged.
Its the 'waiting' for a 6080 at rrp, I'm laughing at.

To put it into perspective, there was over 7000 viewers waiting for just 1 model of aib ti yesterday at rrp!

Been trying for a 80 FE since launch.

More chance of the real Clint Eastwood posting on the forum telling everyone how easy it is to purchase via stock alerts than actually managing to get a hold of one at rrp.

Associate
OP
Just been doing some looking at various pre-built systems, including here and such, seems only place that has something of similar price / performance for pre-built is over at the E's site, where when all things considered it works out to about 770 quid for a 3070... Bit better than they are going on auction right now. No where else has pre-builts with 3070's in them it seems

For the 6700 XT, my own build would still work out a little cheaper than buying it pre built, but the 3070 at essentially £770 means that the 6700 XT at same prices looks a lot less desirable... Got to consider a few months worth of Mining performance as well in the off-game time and the 3070 excels there (yes I know, being part of the problem and all, but it's not it's primary purpose and I have solar panels!!!)

If I was to sell the laptop, this weekend is the time to do it (80% off listing weekend..) so need to figure out plan over next couple of days... Thanks for input guys, it all helps

Associate
Just been doing some looking at various pre-built systems, including here and such, seems only place that has something of similar price / performance for pre-built is over at the E's site, where when all things considered it works out to about 770 quid for a 3070... Bit better than they are going on auction right now. No where else has pre-builts with 3070's in them it seems

For the 6700 XT, my own build would still work out a little cheaper than buying it pre built, but the 3070 at essentially £770 means that the 6700 XT at same prices looks a lot less desirable... Got to consider a few months worth of Mining performance as well in the off-game time and the 3070 excels there (yes I know, being part of the problem and all, but it's not it's primary purpose and I have solar panels!!!)

If I was to sell the laptop, this weekend is the time to do it (80% off listing weekend..) so need to figure out plan over next couple of days... Thanks for input guys, it all helps

The hash rate on all of the new Nvidia cards has been halved, I believe.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
lol - be waiting a while then

:cry::cry:

True. You just have to wait for the market to peter out. Loads of cards have been in stock for 6700s as they are overpriced. The AMD direct cards are ~£410 so this is the starting point and the cards should not really creep into the 5's at all. I would expect a 6800 to command more as this is the tier strategy.

A 3070FE is also an alternative or a 3060Ti.

Soldato
I would rather pay £1600 for a top end 6900XT and then £150 for a new PSU to power it than pay £700+ for a low end card. The 6700xt should be £300-350 max or £400-500 in crazy times. Its starting to look like consoles are the only way to go:(

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Not far wrong on that @FredFlint - if your parting with £750 for a mid range (6700xt) you may as well grab a 6800XT for a grand (like the AIO cooled ones). They should sit around £450 and £700 respectively for bottom entry AIB cards but that wont be seen anytime soon. Still scalped prices nobody should be participating in that game, the prices will only come down when that appetite disappears.

Back
Top Bottom