Split Air con

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^ Very encouraging that you found this so easy. Thanks for the update about how your DIY system install went.

Don
Depends on the model they are offering - if it’s the Etherea then the 2.5kw is £828 on Saturn Sales so they are will be charging £800 to install and I assume this will include pipe work and brackets.

ah ok, £800 for work still seems a lot though but its a bit closer

Soldato
^ Very encouraging that you found this so easy. Thanks for the update about how your DIY system install went.

It's a case of hang the bracket, core a hole for the pipes, unbend the pipes carefully and wrap them in tape, feed through the wall, attach them to the condenser and use an allen key to open a valve 5 times to purge the pipes.

It did worry me when I got it all out the box and looked at it for the first time, but after getting a £300 quote and staring at it for a day I decided it wasn't worth it and to just get on with it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It's a case of hang the bracket, core a hole for the pipes, unbend the pipes carefully and wrap them in tape, feed through the wall, attach them to the condenser and use an allen key to open a valve 5 times to purge the pipes.

It did worry me when I got it all out the box and looked at it for the first time, but after getting a £300 quote and staring at it for a day I decided it wasn't worth it and to just get on with it.
Encouraging - i keep staring at these cheap systems at aircondirect/ebay wondering if i can be bothered/be able to install them. It does sound as easy as it looks with the exception of course of any complicated and/or long unusual pipe runs.

Soldato

Am I correct in saying that power is supplied from inside via a 3 pin plug?

Soldato
Am I correct in saying that power is supplied from inside via a 3 pin plug?
Yeah the indoor unit comes with a 3 pin plug attached. Going out the wall are the gas flow and return, drain pipe and electrical wires to connect to the condenser.

I had the electrician round for some other work anyway so got him to wire it direct to the board for me as its right next to it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Failing having other electrical work, it would be very easy to cut off the plug (i get why this is supplied like this) and wire it into a fused spur or similar. Modifications to a ring of this nature are not notifiable so it would be the neatest solution if not near the CU.

Soldato
Going to look at getting something installed later this year, not sure mine would be easy to do DIY basically all the drains are going to be tricky. Everything else id be happy to do really.

Unit in the bedroom basically pipes need to go up through the ceiling into the loft along then through the wall and down to the unit.

Unit in livingroom could go through wall then boxed in into the garage, drain could go in with the washing machine then the other pipes up through garage roof to the unit.

Anyone in Manchester recommend anyone? Rather have quality equipment rather than cheap.

Caporegime
Encouraging - i keep staring at these cheap systems at aircondirect/ebay wondering if i can be bothered/be able to install them. It does sound as easy as it looks with the exception of course of any complicated and/or long unusual pipe runs.

Don't bother with something second-rate, buy a proper system from someone like Saturnsales.

Soldato
Going to look at getting something installed later this year, not sure mine would be easy to do DIY basically all the drains are going to be tricky. Everything else id be happy to do really.

Unit in the bedroom basically pipes need to go up through the ceiling into the loft along then through the wall and down to the unit.

Unit in livingroom could go through wall then boxed in into the garage, drain could go in with the washing machine then the other pipes up through garage roof to the unit.

Anyone in Manchester recommend anyone? Rather have quality equipment rather than cheap.

Might be worth considering having a grilled system to cool all upstairs. I have a loft system and although it takes longer to cool each room its very neat and benefits from cooling 3 rooms as to 1

Associate
What's the overall running costs with running these indoor Aircons? I've got a new build house, And my god the house hits 30degrees + in the summer, it makes it very uncomfortable to sleep and my kids suffer!

Soldato
What's the overall running costs with running these indoor Aircons? I've got a new build house, And my god the house hits 30degrees + in the summer, it makes it very uncomfortable to sleep and my kids suffer!
Are you making sure to shut the windows in the day and open them at night.

Perks of a highly insulated house.

Soldato

Running costs are comparatively small when you consider how many "hot" days the UK gets.

Take this twin split system from Mitsubishi - https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Electric-Outdoor-Unit-MXZ-2F33VF-2-Wall-Mounted-Units.html

Max running current is 12 amps, so that's approx 2700 watts, at a kwh rate of 18p x 2.7 = 48.6p/hour.

That's assuming you are cooling both rooms to the lowest temperature nonstop, which won't be the case though as once it reaches the target temp the load of the compressor will drop off significantly. So you could probably half that figure, and half again if only running one of the evaporators.

It's a worthy investment purely to make your home more comfortable. Nobody would entertain living in a house with no heating, so why suffer with no cooling?

Soldato
They are fairly efficient and you can also use the heating function as a backup to your boiler should you ever lose boiler functionality.

As above they will cost a fair bit if you want arctic conditions indoors, but if you just want a comfortable temperature then they will spin down when they've reached the desired temp.

Back
Top Bottom