LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Well it's been five months, since I started using my 48CX for a TV, and computer monitor.
And I have to say, I am blown away by the size, picture quality, response, gaming, movie's, productivity, and the whole in my wallet, its left. :cry:

As a long time user of OLED screens (Started with Galaxy Note, Note 4, and LG 55B8.) I have to say the 48CX, is blindingly bright in dark rooms, bright enough in sun light rooms at this time of the year, very shiny showing any dirt or dust, and incredible at gaming.

I've my 48CX, paired with an overclocked 6900XT, and together they tear through most games at 4K 80-120FPS with almost every setting at Max.
I personally find my games and system, is more cpu limited, leading to the lower fps, and I'd recommend any one pushing there budget and systems, to acquire the TV, if the can afford too.

As for costs, the TV was £1300, but I believe it can be had for £1100-1200 now. And the 6900XT was £1175, but I belive its £1400-1600 now. :(

Gaming aside, I found the TV very good at productivity. Its truly a large screen so having two or four Chrome windows open, for documents, excel, coding, music really makes good use of the screen.
I notice I get a lot more work done, as I am not closing, moving and switching between tabs.

My only gripe is with gaming. Most often the GPU and Monitor default to 4K 60Hz, and I have to go into settings (within the game) and re-enable 120Hz, too make full use of the system.

Associate
Bought the 55CX 2 months ago, and of bloody course im in love. Best display tech their is right now, and just kills any LCD trash as it should - OLED Superiority

Quick tip to chance res fast, when windows/Tv keeps dicking around - you need the awesome program Hot Key Resolution Changer!

Best program I have ever found. Can even do different res - chroma subsamplings via short cuts. Just love it

Associate
Also got the 55CX a few months ago, I’m lucky it still works. It only went and ripped my tv bracket out the wall that had been quite happy holding my 49inch Sony up for the past couple of years.

As it ripped out the top left fittings it fell in slow motion and I managed to jump up and mostly catch it. I still got some scratches on the bottom right of the edge bezel.

Associate
Also got the 55CX a few months ago, I’m lucky it still works. It only went and ripped my tv bracket out the wall that had been quite happy holding my 49inch Sony up for the past couple of years. As it ripped out the top left fittings it fell in slow motion and I managed to jump up and mostly catch it. I still got some scratches on the bottom right of the edge bezel.

The LG 55CX weight is 18.9kg compare to a 49inch 14.4kg Sony, you should have changed over the wall mount to the weight of the OLED;) Your lucky:)

Last edited:
Associate
kKH78PT

https://ibb.co/kKH78PT

The mount was good, however when we put it in we maybe bodged it a bit, extra plugs etc. It worked out fine at the time and for a couple of years.

When putting the CX55 on it, I may have (so my friends says) lifted the bracket rather than just holding it in place. The result was freeing up our bodge from a few years ago.

I certainly moved faster than normal, what’s not in the picture is a brick chimney that the new TV gently rested against as I caught it and caused the light scratching.

Associate
Has anyone done an in person comparison of the BX and CX differences?

Picture Master Processor - CX A9 Gen3 compare with BX A7 Gen 3. The BX model is an budget of the LG OLED range. The LG CX OLED is slightly better than the LG BX OLED. The CX gets brighter, handles gradients better, and comes with a sturdier, metal stand.:)

CX compare with BX
https://www.t3.com/features/lg-cx-vs-lg-bx-oled-tvs-compared

Side-by-Side Comparison by Rtings
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-cx-oled-vs-lg-bx-oled/10619/13773?usage=11&threshold=0.10

Last edited:
Soldato
My TV seems to have got stuck trying to install an update. It says software version 3.21.18 but a message below says "Software update has been installed. Update will be applied when you restart your TV."

I've restarted quite a few times, but it's still there? :(

Soldato
My TV seems to have got stuck trying to install an update. It says software version 3.21.18 but a message below says "Software update has been installed. Update will be applied when you restart your TV."

I've restarted quite a few times, but it's still there? :(
How long have you left it in standby? Presuming you've not tried a power cycle that is. It might wait a certain amount of time in standby before going to deeper sleep.

Soldato
It's been left overnight. I've also watched it for hours before going to standby.

Would I need to power cycle, and if so how would I do that?
Honestly I would've thought overnight is long enough for it to do its thing. A power cycle just means turn off at the wall and back on :)

I haven't had this issue with updates, but I did get the "pixel refresh was interrupted" message every single time I turned it on for a few weeks. In the end I updated with a USB stick and firmware from the website. Been fine ever since!

Soldato
Had my CX48 for a year. Used daily for work and play, likely around 15 hours a day on average.

0 signs of burn in, 0 issues, just 100% visual pleasure for productivity, games and HDR movies.

I'll be ordering a 42" version whenever it launches, just to have a even better experience in FPS games, though that's only because I have a use for this 48" elsewhere at home :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly I would've thought overnight is long enough for it to do its thing. A power cycle just means turn off at the wall and back on :)

I haven't had this issue with updates, but I did get the "pixel refresh was interrupted" message every single time I turned it on for a few weeks. In the end I updated with a USB stick and firmware from the website. Been fine ever since!

Power cycle did the trick, thanks.

Associate
Had my CX48 for a year. Used daily for work and play, likely around 15 hours a day on average.

0 signs of burn in, 0 issues, just 100% visual pleasure for productivity, games and HDR movies.

I'll be ordering a 42" version whenever it launches, just to have a even better experience in FPS games, though that's only because I have a use for this 48" elsewhere at home :)

How is it with the glossy screen? It's the only thing I'm nervous about. I generally dislike glossy screens for monitors.

Associate
Now that gpu's have gone up in price, I have started recommending oled to my friends as a serious alternative to a new high tier gpu (they are mainly on 10 series and would usually go xx80).
The upgrade in picture quality is just too much to ignore and will last a good few gpu cycles and not much difference in price between a high end gpu and oled TV.
Medium settings on an oled will look much better than ultra on an lcd.
I have 2 oled, the older one is a good 5-6 years old (was used for 3 years with my pc) and still no sign of burn in :)

Back
Top Bottom