• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5000$ 3070-s

Status
Not open for further replies.
OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I’m waiting for a 6800 XT for up to £ 600 until then my money stays in my bank account.
Unless you find someone willing to sell you a second hand MBA card for pretty much what they paid for it, realistically that's not happening until it's a generation or two out of date since our COST price on 6800 XT AIB cards is well over £600 ex VAT.

Associate
Hey, it's your forum, you do you, but as someone who has been here for 13 years, and an OCUK customer longer, it feels like a kick in the nuts.

You haven't engaged with the community though; wow, 13 years of lurking - big deal.

I hate how every time there is one of these deals there's so much salt; it's so cringe.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

there as at least one before the voucher codes were published

the "operator" called us up in a panic to stop it.

needless to say the address is now blacklisted :p

Haha, classic :)

Thanks for doing these deals. I'm holding out for a 6800XT.

Caporegime
Unless you find someone willing to sell you a second hand MBA card for pretty much what they paid for it, realistically that's not happening until it's a generation or two out of date since our COST price on 6800 XT AIB cards is well over £600 ex VAT.
Depends what happens with mining.

Do you think gamers have suddenly decided to pay £500 for a xx60 card and £1000+ for a xx80 card?

Do you think those are prices most gamers will readily accept?

Maybe they are, but I'm not so sure.

We know everything is being bought up instantly, but we don't know if the demand from gamers alone would sustain those prices if the floor dropped out of mining.

In a world where mining ceased to be profitable, I'm not sure gamers would keep paying those prices, tbh.

Associate
Kudos to OCUK for offering these cards like this - got to be one of the only successful efforts market-wide at genuinely getting these cards into gamers' hands at reasonable prices. Bravo!

I'll hang on for the aforementioned, planned sub-forum solution for us ancient lurkers with 1+ years and 50+ posts. I can dream - a much better chance than Founder Edition vapourware, that's for sure!

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff

Do you think gamers have suddenly decided to pay £500 for a xx60 card and £1000+ for a xx80 card?

We know everything is being bought up instantly, but we don't know if the demand from gamers alone would sustain those prices if the floor dropped out of mining.

In a world where mining ceased to be profitable, I'm not sure gamers would keep paying those prices, tbh.
I'm not saying that it's right I'm just trying to temper expectations with a dose of truth.
We'd love to sell AIB 6800XTs for about £600 but the fact is, they were never that cheap and no gamer, at least, is going to sell one for that little.

Associate

XBox and PS5 are hard to buy but not that hard and the mark ups are nowhere near as high, I think that says that graphics cards are predominately not being bought by gamers

Associate
XBox and PS5 are hard to buy but not that hard and the mark ups are nowhere near as high, I think that says that graphics cards are predominately not being bought by gamers
I had noticed that too. The average profit people seem to make with a PS5 is ~£50-75, or 15-20%. On the GPU market it's 100-150%.

Associate
I just called querying the cost of the 3070 and was alerted to the forum code that I cannot see :(

Although disappointed I can't access the code as I have only lurked in these forums as a guest the past couple of months or so, well done to OC for making the cards available to those most likely to use them as intended!

I'll certainly be keeping a look out as card prices drop... hopefully I'm not beaten to the drop by bots.

Associate
Kudos to OCUK for offering these cards like this - got to be one of the only successful efforts market-wide at genuinely getting these cards into gamers' hands at reasonable prices. Bravo!

I'll hang on for the aforementioned, planned sub-forum solution for us ancient lurkers with 1+ years and 50+ posts. I can dream - a much better chance than Founder Edition vapourware, that's for sure!

Aye hopefully it'll be a more definitive type member's club solution, for people like us, who don't really want to post just for the sake of posting to get that counter up. Perhaps my problem is I just worry too much I'll say the wrong thing and get flak for it lol.

Associate
I think that the real problem is that too many people have given in to scalpers encouraging more of the practice. It's not really true that there is a limited supply of cards, there would be a huge lead time and investment cost but more chip fabs could be built to pump out more chips. I guess Nvidia/TSMC etc might know/believe that a lot of stock is in the hands of scalpers and if they had to dump it all then they would get burnt on the investment
I'm lucky (!?) enough to work in an industry with similar high demand coupled with supply chain problems. The fundamental issue preventing increased supply is not knowing how long the demand will stay high for - if you build a new factory or two, it's a massive, complex, and critically long term investment. If the demand is inflated due to lockdown, or by covid changing patterns of behaviour short-term, then if/when "normality" returns the new factory is no longer needed and a lot of money goes down the drain.

Far better for the manufacturer to make only as much as they know they can sell, whilst maxing out current capacity. If that means middle aged men (like me) can't play a few computer games then so be it, it's hardly the end of the world.

Not even going to mention crypto crashing in the future because it's bound to trigger someone :D

Associate
I'm lucky (!?) enough to work in an industry with similar high demand coupled with supply chain problems. The fundamental issue preventing increased supply is not knowing how long the demand will stay high for - if you build a new factory or two, it's a massive, complex, and critically long term investment. If the demand is inflated due to lockdown, or by covid changing patterns of behaviour short-term, then if/when "normality" returns the new factory is no longer needed and a lot of money goes down the drain.

Far better for the manufacturer to make only as much as they know they can sell, whilst maxing out current capacity. If that means middle aged men (like me) can't play a few computer games then so be it, it's hardly the end of the world.

Not even going to mention crypto crashing in the future because it's bound to trigger someone :D

Is the whole process to do with "Just In Time" Manufacturing processing, predicting need in the future, based on supply/demand and when it gets thrown out of whack when it goes down, because they're also trying to eliminate the waste as well in manufacturing, it magnifies the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom