Phrases you can't stand...

Associate
" and "I could care less" are the only two that make my teeth itch.

A great Americanism. Which actually makes no sense, because if you could care less it means you do care. So the complete opposite to what they are actually trying to say.

For me it's people starting and sentance with "So".

Soldato
Most of the mainstream supermarkets stopped using that phrase many years ago. I guess you might still hear it in a smaller independent shop or something using older software?
My local Co-op has something along those lines. It's also a very loud machine in a very quiet shop

Capodecina
Soldato
Irresistable.

If I resist it, it's not irresistible, is it?

I have resisted Co-Op's irresistible cookies many a time. False advertising.

Write to them and complain. Say that you keep walking past them because they're not irresistible enough. Know what would be irresistible? An Anna Foxx Fleshlight, then tell them they should make them like that. Cookies which double as edible sex toys.

I don't know how that would work.

D4N

D4N

Associate
“Oh so” winds me up. And calling a limited slip diff a “slippy diff” when it’s actually not very slippy, hence the limited part of the name.

Soldato
“Can you just take a look at X for me, it won’t take long…” Usually uttered by hated managers at 5pm on a Friday afternoon.

X always takes at least an hour or uncovers problem Y which magically becomes a critical task that you have to resolve before leaving.

In my experience, telling said manager to go and commit illegal acts with their mothers and walking out involves a chat with HR first thing Monday morning.

Man of Honour
Using "addictive" as a postive attribute comes to mind. Portraying addiction as a good thing because exploiting addicts is profitable is downright sociopathic.

"the proof is in the pudding". Why say that? It's meaningless. It's meaningless because it's wrong. It's a mangled chunk of the original saying, which does make sense. It's like people saying "I could care less" when they mean the exact opposite.

Almost all "business buzzword bingo" nonsense, starting with "going forward". Why not just use English when you're using English?

EDIT:

"Really unique"

Oh hell yes! "really unique", "more unique", etc. I want to reply "If you don't mean 'unique', why are you saying the word? Why are you talking nonsense that contradicts itself? Why? Why?"

Back
Top Bottom