Sweet Tooth (Netflix)

Ree

Ree

Associate
Not got round to watching it yet but my cousin from New Zealand was in this can't remember who she was doubling though. I imagine she would've been in full costume like she was in Hobbit as Bombur.

Associate
A mate suggested this to me, i've only done episode 1 and i always binge my way through a series with half hour/an hour per night.

Hoping it delivers as the idea is cool, but it is a bit cringey. Hope i take to it.

Caporegime
I am ploughing my way though this (halfway through Episode 3) and it is an original and interesting spin on the virus apocalypse thing, but god damn the writing is pretty bad. I think that:

• They have shoehorned so much overly sentimental and heavily contrived guff into almost every scene that I find myself getting frequently annoyed.
  • People say and do stupid things (especially Gus, constantly) that seem very out of sync with the supposed grimness of the world since the last 11 years and I am facepalming often.
  • The grandpa narrator is also completely unnecessary and out of place, every time he comes on I feel like I am suddenly watching a different show.
  • Despite some violent scenes and dark themes, it's clearly aimed at kids but in a way that is too overt for my tastes.
However, I will keep going as I want to see more hybrids and how they are portrayed vs the main character. I'm not yet at all sure why it is being so critically acclaimed.

Associate
Seen 3 eps so far. Will reserve judgement until the end.
So far, it's alright, though. Interesting enough to make me sit through each episode.
Most characters a kinda generic. The curious kid, the gentle giant with big power, the hunter hell-bent on getting his target.

Soldato
One to go, bit more interesting near the end, more answers etc....
Not sure what's in hold for the last episode, complete end or left open for another series.....time will tell!

Caporegime
I made it to end... man it was a struggle. Easily one of the most contrived shows I have seen in a long time, with so many gaping plot holes and character actions that make no freaking logical sense whatsoever.

• I would happily have dissected the kid myself by the end of this show after seeing him get everyone in trouble by doing the exact opposite of everything they tell him to.
  • Are we expected to believe that a family has been living in an idyllic cabin, complete with a working gondola, for years without anyone coming there or wanting to take it? FFS.
  • They get to the town and big man decides to go and randomly risk EVERYTHING, the kid, his life and freedom by suddenly leaving the train queue and raiding a supply train? Dear lord.
  • WTF was with adding an "alvin and the chipmuunk" CGI character who seemed to be a perfect hybrid of boy and animal and unlike ANY other seen in the show? It was so ridiculous I could not believe it when he waltzed on to the screen.
  • The fact the Indian couple went to the trouble of hiding the body of the annoying neighbour woman despite her being kicked and killed by the horse. It would have been so easy to call the militia and get help and claim it was a tragic accident. All the evidence they needed to get away with it, a body with a hoof shaped hole, was right in front of them. But no, they hid the body in a place where people would find it. Morons.
  • We are expected to believe his mums friend has been living in a house without being raped or pillaged for all those years? Give me strength.
  • His "mum" is now in Antarctica performing a scientific experiment with all of the transport, resources and equipment she needs? Give me strength.
  • They completely wasted the opportunity to add any realism into the show by seeing other hybrids that had been enslaved or captured in the towns. They could have put way more effort into the hybrids and revealing the different types in general.

Those are just a few of a gazillion forehead-slamming moment I saw. Waste of a good concept.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm really late to the show on this but Richdog
Sums it up perfectly.

I was curious in the 1st episode but by the end I just wanted most of the main characters to die.
I get it's meant to be childlike and whimsical but at the same time the characters are moronic in their actions and I don't know. How they would do their shoelaces up every morning.

Associate
I get it's meant to be childlike and whimsical but

This is why i dropped the show after episode 3 i think it was. I can deal with stupid characters/ poor decision making, if the characters aren't annoying. The kid, just annoying, i found nothing enjoyable about watching him coast his way through a post apocalyptic world.

Caporegime
I just did some more reading up on this and I know why it was so bad, and it is because it heavily diverted from the source material. Sweet Tooth: Why The Show Is So Different From The Comics (screenrant.com)

The original comic was dark and depressing, more in the tone of The Walking Dead, with adult language and graphic violence and sexual themes, and the main characters going through real suffering and hardship. Netflix decided to take a big departure from those dark themes (probably assuming that the real-life pandemic was depressing enough) and make it light and cutesy to appeal to a younger audience. The scenes with the atrocious doctor and his wife were also apparently completely invented.

All in all, it now makes more sense to me why the writing is so bad. I think I will download and read the comics instead. :)

Caporegime
Well guys, I put my proverbial money where my mouth is and went and read the graphic novels, and I now understand why the Netflix show is do diabolically and awfully bad; they are completely and utterly different. The plot and characterization of the TV series is almost nothing like that of the plot of the graphic novel and they have changed pretty everything of significance in order to make it more "palatable" to a family audience during an ongoing pandemic. I think that as is common when people decide to deviate so significantly from source material, they did a poor job and changed and invented things that make little logical sense.

Examples:

• In the books, Gus is not some nannoying brat that runs off into danger every 5 seconds. He is naive but not a fool and he uses his head to stay out of trouble.
  • In the books the stupid preserve does not even exist.
  • In the books Singh is not some bumbling and awkward idiot committing atrocities simply to save his wife and the ridiculous community with the nosy neighbours, who apparently love burning people alive, does not exist.
  • In the books the animal cult of teenie boppers does not exist and is instead a group of well-equipped psychotic adults that use hybrids as weapons.
  • In the books the scientific background and plot of the hybrids is completely different, his dad was a religious nutjob, his mother does not exist in any tangible sense and the research facility was very different.
  • etc etc.

I highly recommend you go check out the graphic novels, they are a gazillion times better written and the ending really is so satisfying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm sick of post apocalyptic stories as much as I'm getting sick of super hero movies every month.

I know it's got a season 2. It said so at the end.

Hopefully they will all die.

Back
Top Bottom