• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070 Super to 3070 / 3080?

Associate
I currently have a 2070 Super GPU.

I've been hovering around stores for the past few months waiting for 3070s and 3080s to come into stock, now with the hiked prices in some stores I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. A 3080 I know would be fantastic to upgrade to, but 3070s seems to be a bit more common.

On paper the 3070 seems like it would perform better at increased FPS of about 50 on average in some game play. But sometimes we know on paper is all too good to be true, so wondering if anyone out there has done a similar upgrade in the past year?

Associate
Honestly depends, I managed to sell my 2070s months ago, bought a 3070 and still had spare cash, it was about 30% difference, not sure I would spend any extra money for that bump, 2070s to 3080 is a big bump though and it's extremely noticeable

Associate
What kind of monitor are you trying to drive? Anything less than 1440p 144 Hertz wont make a difference between 2070 Super and 3080. I personally wouldn't bother with 3070 for 2070 Super given how similar the performance is (except RT, but nobody cares about that really).

Associate
OP
What kind of monitor are you trying to drive? Anything less than 1440p 144 Hertz wont make a difference between 2070 Super and 3080. I personally wouldn't bother with 3070 for 2070 Super given how similar the performance is (except RT, but nobody cares about that really).

Driving a 1440p at 100Hz. I find the 2070 is REALLY struggling with it, even though it's a 2070 super. Yeah, I think I'm set on a 3080 at the moment. But finding one at MSRP is tricky! Will not give in to the scalpers XD

Soldato

I wouldnt say performance similar between 2070 super and 3070 when the 3070 performance is similar to 2080ti

I currently have the 5700xt and play at 1440p and want to make the jump to 3080 but never will pay scalper and just hoping to get one on nvidia drop got the alerts ready :cry: I was tempted with the forum member deal for the 3070 today but rather try for 3080fe at £650 and having the 5700xt isnt end of the world :D

Associate
OP
I wouldnt say performance similar between 2070 super and 3070 when the 3070 performance is similar to 2080ti

I currently have the 5700xt and play at 1440p and want to make the jump to 3080 but never will pay scalper and just hoping to get one on nvidia drop got the alerts ready :cry: I was tempted with the forum member deal for the 3070 today but rather try for 3080fe at £650 and having the 5700xt isnt end of the world :D

Haha yeah, not going to lie was mighty jealous of you guys getting the member forum deal. And that's why I was a little curious as to see peoples views who have access to buy the cards at MSRP or have already have one.
Much more of an honest opinion.

But I will have patience. I'm happy I at least have an RTX for streaming too with the NVENC encoding. It could be a lot worse. ALMOST was convinced to go down the AMD route with the FidelityFX announcement

Associate
I'm currently running a 2070Super on dual-monitor ultrawides (3440x1440), though I mostly run games in various different modes (and only on a single monitor, my second monitor is for media or work).

Currently on the hunt for a 3090, as that 24gb of vram is kinda becoming a necessity for work. Don't think it'll ever happen at MSRP though. Overclockers are currently selling it for higher than scalper prices.

Associate
OP
I'm currently running a 2070Super on dual-monitor ultrawides (3440x1440), though I mostly run games in various different modes (and only on a single monitor, my second monitor is for media or work).

Currently on the hunt for a 3090, as that 24gb of vram is kinda becoming a necessity for work. Don't think it'll ever happen at MSRP though. Overclockers are currently selling it for higher than scalper prices.

Yeah I've been debating whether or not to get a 3090 and what the life span of that series will be. With doing video editing and streaming I could validate it. But if I have to upgrade again in a couple of years, could I justify it?

Associate
Yeah I've been debating whether or not to get a 3090 and what the life span of that series will be. With doing video editing and streaming I could validate it. But if I have to upgrade again in a couple of years, could I justify it?

The biggest draw is the 24gb of vram. Which is overkill really, but 8gb isn't really enough. A 3080ti at 12gb is probably fine for at least a couple of years, but right now the prices for the 3080ti and a 3090 are basically identical so you might as well get the 3090.

This is my thought process anyway. I'd prefer to get an AMD card, as their prices are much better for the available vram, but they don't have optix which basically makes them unusable in the rendering market.

Soldato
Haha yeah, not going to lie was mighty jealous of you guys getting the member forum deal. And that's why I was a little curious as to see peoples views who have access to buy the cards at MSRP or have already have one.
Much more of an honest opinion.

But I will have patience. I'm happy I at least have an RTX for streaming too with the NVENC encoding. It could be a lot worse. ALMOST was convinced to go down the AMD route with the FidelityFX announcement

Surprised it's still available

Associate
Ive been pondering betwee whether try and go for a 3080, 3080ti, 6800xt, or a 6900xtu. There have been a fair few red devil 6900xtu knocking abour recently and ive been really tempted but havent had the nerve to bite the bullet

Associate
I wouldn't upgrade anything for less than a 50% performance bump. And then only if I wasn't fussed about the cost of the component. Double the performance makes more sense.

Associate
I wouldn't upgrade anything for less than a 50% performance bump. And then only if I wasn't fussed about the cost of the component. Double the performance makes more sense.
I have just donena new build with a ryzen 9 5900x, I put my 1070 out of my old rig in there for now, it works still and the new cpu has given it a new lease of life, i wouls just like a new gpu to finish off my new build properly. I really like the look of the msi suprim x, it just seems a bit off that there isnt an AMD version of them

Associate
I have just donena new build with a ryzen 9 5900x, I put my 1070 out of my old rig in there for now, it works still and the new cpu has given it a new lease of life, i wouls just like a new gpu to finish off my new build properly. I really like the look of the msi suprim x, it just seems a bit off that there isnt an AMD version of them

1070 to 3070 would be be worth doing. There are AMD cards available on either side. Depends on what games you want to play, what resolution you want to play at and whether you think DLSS and raytracing are important.

Associate
1070 to 3070 would be be worth doing. There are AMD cards available on either side. Depends on what games you want to play, what resolution you want to play at and whether you think DLSS and raytracing are important.
I have a 27inch acer predator 1440p 144hz monitor, thinking of upgrading to a predator x34gs when they are available. Ive managed so far without ray tracing and dlss, i get what they add to games, but its not a deciding factor, basically looking for something that can max most if not all AAA titles at 1440p and maybe 4k while giving me enough frames to be silky smooth

Associate
I have a 27inch acer predator 1440p 144hz monitor, thinking of upgrading to a predator x34gs when they are available. Ive managed so far without ray tracing and dlss, i get what they add to games, but its not a deciding factor, basically looking for something that can max most if not all AAA titles at 1440p and maybe 4k while giving me enough frames to be silky smooth

I've done 2080ti at 1440/75 and 3090 at 4K/60 with good results with the settings turned up and rt/DLSS where available. If you can stretch to it I think you'd really like a 6900xt. A 3080FE or better would be a good fit if you can get one for mrsp and you have decent case airflow and don't mind slumming it with the nvidia folk.

Associate
Yeah i think a 6900xt would be a realy nice fit to be fair. Along with half the world, i have an o11 dynamic, so airflow isnt a concern. Ive honestly come across loads of 6900xt's that have been available to buy, mostly the red devil ultimate, and the sapphire toxic. I haven't once seen a 3080 that i has had a buy option on it

Associate
Yeah i think a 6900xt would be a realy nice fit to be fair. Along with half the world, i have an o11 dynamic, so airflow isnt a concern. Ive honestly come across loads of 6900xt's that have been available to buy, mostly the red devil ultimate, and the sapphire toxic. I haven't once seen a 3080 that i has had a buy option on it

I needed optix support for rendering so I'm putting up with the poor ram cooling on the 3090FE. If that wasn't a factor and if I could have got one for a similar price I'd have been fine with a 6900xt.

Back
Top Bottom