PC Crashing - Full audio and some visuals yet no control

Associate
I've been getting a strange crash on my PC for the past few months now, I've been able to ignore it but got to the point where I'd better try sort it, yet haven't a clue where to start, so symptoms:

- Audio will continue.
- Browser and other apps will min and max, but any video visual will be frozen.
- Opening task manager everything has stopped, e.g. CPU usage, memory etc.
- Can't click restart or shut down, it wont do anything, have to hard reset.
- Mouse and keyboard will functional.
- Unable to open any new applications.
- Windows doesn't come up with any "not responding" messages.

System spec:
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core
- HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (4x 8GB) 3600MHz DDR4
- MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GB GDDR6
- ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING Motherboard
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe
- Windows 10 Pro

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, I've has a crash watching youtube, gaming and even just idling.

Any suggestion or help would be great.

Soldato
whe you built your system have you just plugged and played everything, i know with ryzen its fairly important to keep drivers upto date including bios's too, a quick and easy step is to update all your drivers, chipset, sata, m.2 etc to see if the freezing problem goes away.

is docp enabled? setting much like intel's xmp that sets up the ram to work at its rated freqency, in your case 3600mhz

have you installed windows recently or did you use a old drive with it on to avoid installing it again, tbh this step shouldn't matter too much as windows 10 is very resilient and can normally set its self staright, unless you've been on intel and moved to amd, if this is the case you may have intel drivers causing misheif on the new build.

lastly it's good to keep up with bios's, as they contain better updated micro code which can help stabalise performance in windows and even make things quicker, a good tip is to update but not to the very latest version as beta bios's are full of bugs, just look for the latest bios thats not beta and update, this is usally a last step as if the first 2 steps work then a bios update isnt really needed, if you do it wrong you can brick your board so its a last resort really.

check your drivers first and fore most, if updating them sorts you out happy days :)

btw what psu are you running and age too?, always good to know just in case.

Back
Top Bottom