Going back to VR (Rift)

Associate
I'm going back to VR shortly after a 2yr+ break with a system upgrade but the original Rift headset and Touch, I see there's new hardware available. How much do the latest headsets change the experience ? Is it worth forking out for ?

Soldato
5600x, gtx970 (upgrading to 3060 ti eveentually or 3070).

The 970 won't handle any of the newer headsets that I can think of. 3060ti and 3070 would work for most of the new headsets.

If you are into games made for VR specifically, the Quest 2 is a nice upgrade for titles that can run on the headset itself.

Associate
I have a gtx 970 so purposly picked up the rift s, lower res thsn say the quest 2. Will still be better than what you used before.

I tried ACC - known to be poorly optimized for vr. Couldnt really run that

Pavlov funs fine

Havent tried anything else

Soldato
You can use the newer headsets on lower end hardware, you just have to run them at Rift resolution.
You may ask what the point is then? But you get the advantage of much reduced, even non-existent screen door effect, plus with the Quest 2 the ability to go completely wireless.

If you don't mind using a Facebook account, the Quest 2 is a massive upgrade from the Rift, with very similar controllers and is 100% compatible with your existing Rift and Steam VR software. Plus you get Robo Recall native Quest version for free, if you got Robo Recall free with your Rift. Add to that a library of completely stand alone games that you don't need a PC for anyway.

Associate
You can use the newer headsets on lower end hardware, you just have to run them at Rift resolution.
You may ask what the point is then? But you get the advantage of much reduced, even non-existent screen door effect, plus with the Quest 2 the ability to go completely wireless.

If you don't mind using a Facebook account, the Quest 2 is a massive upgrade from the Rift, with very similar controllers and is 100% compatible with your existing Rift and Steam VR software. Plus you get Robo Recall native Quest version for free, if you got Robo Recall free with your Rift. Add to that a library of completely stand alone games that you don't need a PC for anyway.

Good point.

I tempted to suggest the OP waits it out for Quest 3. Hopefully no comfort challenges and they perfect the wireless pc use by then

Soldato
FOV is the main thing (apart from the Facebook login) that I don't like about the Quest 2. After using the Index it feels quite restrictive. Other than that I love it.

Associate
I think the main difference you will probably see is the lack of screen door effect if you go for a quest 2. The higher resolution also makes things like text a lot easier to read. However, as mentioned above a gtx 970 won't really handle that. If you can only afford one upgrade definitely upgrade your gpu first as your rift will still work fine for all modern games. But you will probably find that will leave you wanting to upgrade your headset to make the most of your new gpu!

Associate
OP
Cheers for the info guys, I'm definitely upgrading my GPU first and have funds kept aside for a snap purchase. Probably be after christmas for the headset, I like the idea of extra FOV and wireless aside from res increase, hopefully then there'll be a release date for Quest 3 so I decide whether it's worth the wait.

Soldato
I have just upgraded to the quest 2 from the DK2 and even though its the cheapest headset on the market, its like night and day compared to the DK2.. My only negative point about the quest 2 is, the image quality isn't very sharp.

Associate
I have just upgraded to the quest 2 from the DK2 and even though its the cheapest headset on the market, its like night and day compared to the DK2.. My only negative point about the quest 2 is, the image quality isn't very sharp.

I thought the same for a bit, but can't you enhance it through settings though?

Associate
might be that your ipd is between one of the settings, try moving the lenses to a "1/2" setting between the notches, it helps me

wish they had just put a full ipd adjustment range on it like the quest one had

Soldato
might be that your ipd is between one of the settings, try moving the lenses to a "1/2" setting between the notches, it helps me

Ive tried all the ipd settings, they just makes things blurry... It wants more contrast to sharpen things up, but you can only change the brightness. I think my DK2 had a sharper image,, but that was down to being able to see the pixels i think.

Last edited:
Soldato

The slider adjustment is very accurate if you are within the ranges of 57 to 69. The trouble is that you have to print out or buy a spacer that exactly matches your IPD.

Associate
Ive tried all the ipd settings, they just makes things blurry... It wants more contrast to sharpen things up, but you can only change the brightness. I think my DK2 had a sharper image,, but that was down to being able to see the pixels i think.

I found the sweet spot on the Quest 2 is quite small. Bought a Halo strap and replacement facial interface and it's made the image much sharper. I think it also depends on the game you're playing. ACC for me isn't so sharp but that's a trade off between the game and what my gfx card can handle.

Back
Top Bottom