Bees at overflow pipe

Soldato
There's a couple of bees constantly hovering around my toilet overflow pipe. If I watch them for a while I can see some disappearing into the pipe. I'm a bit concerned that they're creating a nest/hive in there.

Has anyone dealt with something similar using a powder etc.? They're not there at night so I assume I could get an opportunity to put something there safely.

Help!

Soldato
There's a couple of bees constantly hovering around my toilet overflow pipe. If I watch them for a while I can see some disappearing into the pipe. I'm a bit concerned that they're creating a nest/hive in there.

They probably are building a nest. I once came home from work to find hundreds of bees in my bedroom and crawling over my bed. They had got through a gap in the brick masonry. The council provided a service for getting rid of bees nests, so they were called. It's unfortunate having to destroy them, so you could see if there are any local bee keepers that would be able to help you, as they are sometimes interested in taking the bees for a hive and they have ways to get them out.

Soldato
Speak with a local bee keeper before you try and stop or destroy them, there may already be a nest in there, and you really should avoid killing bee's if you can, lots of keepers will rescue and rehome bees at no cost to you.

Soldato

Has anyone dealt with something similar using a powder etc.? They're not there at night so I assume I could get an opportunity to put something there safely.

Help!
First off. You know they will be sound asleep and in their nest at night.

Have you had a look inside your cistern to make sure they arent in there? I cant really see why they would build one in there as the space would be minimal but you never know. There could be a nest in there already.

How often does water come out of your overflow? If often, readjust your float. If never put something over the end of the pipe that allows water to come out if needed but not enough to allow a bee in. A bit of a stocking if you dont have anything else.

Actually if its a metal pipe can you not squeeze the end a bit?

Last edited:
Associate
Would you be able to identify what type of bee? They have different types and size of nest so may help with what you could do with them? Might be able to just leave it and let them do their thing.
We had some going through a brick air vent in the wall under the ground floor but it was only ever a few bees here and there so we just monitored it and left them to it without any problems.
Are you sure it's an in-use pipe, not an old hole where one used to be? If it's an old hole that goes through to a cavity, there could be space for a large nest in the cavity wall or under floorboards etc.

Soldato
Its unlikely to be honey bees it'll be a type of simple colony bee they're basically harmless unless its right where you want to sit or something (can't imagine why you'd have seating next to the toilet pipe) I'd leave them be they won't harm anything and won't sting as a rule. Wasps are a different matter.

A couple years back here the beds were absolutely buzzing with what were identified as ivy bees they had their little holes zillions of them all down the beds there was so many they were positively buzzing you could hear it from several feet away. They lasted a couple of seasons then disappeared havn't seen them since and they weren't any trouble, wasps on the other hand would be have been dead from the moment I spotted them.

Associate
Identifying what they are is key. We've had two different swarms, both honey bees. First lot stopped and rested in our defunct flue, we contacted a pest remover. Basically told us there was nothing they could do as firstly they were in a restricted access location so getting to them would have been impossible. Secondly they wouldn't touch honey bees and directed me towards the The British Beekeepers Association. The only advice they gave was to make it as dark as possible as bees dislike the dark. We covered up the fireplace (they didn't like that!), but by morning they had gone. I've disconnect the flue and got a tiler to remove the flue vent from the roof ridge, really don't want bees nesting in there!

Second swarm landed on our willow tree at the front of the house. BBKA's website has contact details of all swarm collectors throughout the UK, there were three in my town alone. Called one of them who came out and removed them (took an hour). One thing the beekeeper told me was that once they settle somewhere they mark the location as "safe". He told me that we'd likely get more swarms or nesting bees (next door neighbour actually got them in his eaves last year).

Good luck with it.

Soldato
OP
@roge8014 thanks for the link. I don't think they are honey bees going by the photos. I'm unsure whether to just leave them for now but I have a 6 year old running around this garden and don't want her getting hurt by them.

There's actually 2 areas where they are forming now; the drain pipe and strangely a little ornamental statue that sits on the wall around 6ft from our patio furniture.

Back
Top Bottom