Custom YBR125 not starting

Associate
Hello all,

I have this custom YBR125 gathering dust in the garage, its been offline for roughly 7 years. Originally it wouldn't make any sounds at all but after a little charging from the car it sounds like its turning over.

However I have 0 idea on mechanics for bikes or cars and have VERY little knowledge on these types of things. If you have any suggestions on what could be done to fix this, I just want to get it sold asap it only has 5k on the clock.

Any and all assistance is appreciated, thanks!

Man of Honour
Is the fuel tap on? To be honest after not being used for 7 years the petrol could have gone off or the carb could be gunked up which means it will need stripping down, cleaning and reset up again. Checking the electrics is easy enough. Remove the spark plug, place the HT lead back on it, hold the plug against the engine block using a pair of pliers and try the starter. If you see a spark the electrics are fine and it's probably fuel related. No spark and you have a electrical fault which could be something as simple as a dead spark plug or it could be a pain in the arse.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply!

I should have mentioned I drained the tank and put fresh fuel in, checked for leaks and build ups (although I could have missed something there), that spark plug idea sounds like a good starting point!

Had a feeling it would be something electrical, praying it isn't something major so I can ride it for a few more k and then sell it on

Soldato
I mean there isnt that much that can wrong with one of those.

If you have a spare car battery or something so you can keep turning it over and over.

Probably, almost certainly, some gummed up fuel in the carbs (im guessing its not fuel injected?) I would try carb cleaner or spray starter fuild into the air intake, and seel if it'll go.

Easy to see if the electics are ok, just pull the spark plug and hit the starter button (easy to see if its dark) if its making a spark that is working.

Transmission breaker
Don
Fuel, Spark and Air. You need those three.

Checking for spark is easy, unplug the spark plug, unscrew it, connect it to the cable again now its out, touch the end to the frame. Now crank the starter. If it does anything other than spark across the base of the electrode to the arm, get a new one. (Try not to zap yourself, its not pleasant)

Fuel (with a carb) is usually a case of undoing the float bowl release and seeing what comes out, if anything. You may have a clogged pre-filter or inline filter. You could remove these (temporarily), or use an easy-start type aerosol starting fluid to get it going as a test.

If its fuel injected, you should be able to hear the fuel pump click/prime when you first turn it on. Listen for a whirring. If nothing, could be a fuse for the pump, or a dead/clogged pump. If it does not stop whirring/clicking, its likely not getting enough/any fuel, so check the fuel tank pre-filter, or inline fuel filter (same process as mentioned above)

Air, check the airfilter does not have a rats nest in it, or is full of dust. You could remove it if you are not sure, as a temporary measure.

If you have all these things working fully, a full charge from the battery, and it still refuses to start, then you have a bigger problem (worn rings, bad timing, dropped/worn out/bent valves, or a badly blown out gasket)

This is over simplified, and there are other things it could be, but assuming it was running when it went away, it should get you some of the way, if not all the way to getting it started following the above.

Apologies if I miss anything stupid, I have been up way too many hours to have written this out any better :D

Edit, or just bring it to me, and I will figure it out for you.... :)

Back
Top Bottom