Borderlands 3

Soldato
That's a bit disappointing. I've played Borderlands (and all the DLC, which I thought was pretty poor compared with the game) and Borderlands 2. I was hoping that BL3 would be on a par with BL2. Well, I'm waiting for BL3 to go on sale on Steam again anyway.

i must admit, been playing a lot of it recently and it's really growing on me.

a bit like the pre sequel i can understand why people don't like it, indeed there are some bits i don't like much either.

but it's not a bad game, good in it's own way. i think especially for series fans bl2 was just such a hard act to follow.

Wow... i just
deafeated Troy and entered the vault behind him

and i got 1 legendary item, and it was a room decoration. there was also 1 blue gun in the vault and the rest were green.

Not to mention, that fight and the cutscenes were poor.

Suuuuuper disappointing.

this just a specific instance or a whole playthrough?

my first playthrough as amara (storyline touring on easy mode) ended up swimming in legendaries not too long into the game.

figured it was just how the easy mode worked, but playing moze on regular now and it's still the same, been able to steadily keep an inventory full of level-relevant orange since about level 20.

hell i had to clear out my storage as i was running out

Man of Honour
Borderlands 3 something edition is currently on sale for ~£25 on Steam, so I bought it. The pricing is currently a bit odd - Borderlands 3 by itself costs more than Borderlands 3 with all of the season 1 DLC.

122.4GB download. That will take about 28 hours on my line! It's worse than the old days of early dial-up and leaving it downloading overnight.

I bought 8 other games at the same time, as you do. Stuff on sale, falling under the "well, it's probably worth that much" thinking. I had a beer and some fun with "Polandball: Can into Space!", which is a very simple game that cost 50p IIRC and which amused me. Whether it would amuse me without the beer, who knows? I'll need things to play while Borderlands 3 is ever so slowly downloading.

Soldato
Thinking about buying this with a Voucher from Epic Stores. I loved Borderlands 2, probably one of my favourite games ever. However, everything I read about Borderlands 3 suggests that it is worse than BL2. I don't want to buy the game if it's just ok.

So for all you Borderland's fans out there. How are you finding BL3 these days?

Man of Honour
Thinking about buying this with a Voucher from Epic Stores. I loved Borderlands 2, probably one of my favourite games ever. However, everything I read about Borderlands 3 suggests that it is worse than BL2. I don't want to buy the game if it's just ok.

I'll repost my answer to the same question, from the Wonderlands thread...

I wasnt sold on it initially (Borderlands 3) and the main villains are terrible but the more I played of it, the more I've come to like it, to the point now where imo its actually the best Borderlands game in the series. The gunplay is superb, having the dual modes on the weapons is brilliant, the gameworld is huge, the graphics are refined and more detailed plus it has just about every character from Borderlands 1, 2 and presequel in the game at some point or other, which makes it feel like you're getting one last bit of time with your favourite Borderlands characters before its all wrapped up.

I should add that its rated as Very Positive on Steam , which is actually the same rating as Borderlands 2, so imo, ignore the main villains in the game and the people who slate the game purely because of them and enjoy the game for the gameplay itself.

Last edited:
Soldato

tombstone has put it quite well.

initially it does seem kind of offputting, and there are some design/plot/character decisions that are a bit jarring if you've gotten so used to the series so far.

but the DNA is there, and it does grow on you, remember borderlands 2 is a hell of a hard act to follow and just like how the pre-sequel is actually a pretty good game once you get the hang of it so too is bl3.

also just like playing the original without the bl2 ammo pickups you'll soon miss just smashing g to refill your ammo at the vending machines and having your backup being a mech suit that dual weilds nuke launchers.

Having played BL2 to death and thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, i started BL3 and just loved it, i dont understand the hate, yeah the twins can be a bit 'Dude!' but the gameplay is so good i didnt dwell on it. Ive just started playing BL2 again after a long time and im actually not enjoying it as much as i remember, i think BL3 has usurped it as the best BL game.

Associate
Having played BL2 to death and thinking its the best thing since sliced bread, i started BL3 and just loved it, i dont understand the hate, yeah the twins can be a bit 'Dude!' but the gameplay is so good i didnt dwell on it. Ive just started playing BL2 again after a long time and im actually not enjoying it as much as i remember, i think BL3 has usurped it as the best BL game.

Would have been nice to have some better characters to play, thought a lot of the powers were a bit crap. They should add some more as DLC

Man of Honour

Very poor. I'll finish it then I'll uninstall it to save space.

If you can ignore bad writing, casual extreme prejudice from the "good" characters, complete disregard for gameworld lore, instability, unfixed bugs, horrendous loading times (and yes, I do have it on an SSD), repeatedly trying to be online even if you've chosen offline and you're using Steam in offline mode, deliberately annoying level design, being railroaded into following questlines and not exploring and, above all, bad writing (so bad it deserves mentioning twice), then you'll probably enjoy BL3.

What it does well, even better than BL2, is the core gameplay. They're done a great job of improving the graphics while retaining the "hand drawn cartoon on paper" art style that the series is known for. The FPS aspect is also at least as good as BL2. Some aspects of the UI have been improved, e.g. approach an ammo vending machine and in addition to the option to shop you get the option to buy however much ammo of every type is necessary to bring you up to full. One keypress, job done. It's one of those "yes, that's how it should work" changes. A plethora of equipment drops from everywhere with no sane explanation, which is just the job for a looter-shooter. Shoot some small mob and it drops a rocket launcher bigger than it was, a shielding device, 3 grenades, a pistol, 50 rounds of ammunition and some cash. And the pistol fires bullets that are on fire and split into 3 bullets each of which explodes in a fireball because that's how it is in the world of Borderlands and good job too. Loot is hyperabundant with complete and gleeful disregard for realism, as it should be in a Borderlands game. I killed myself twice today after clearing an area of enemies because the gun I'm using shoots exploding ice bombs and I was freezesploded by my own ammunition that remained on the field after the fight. And it was funny and entertaining.

So if you think it's a good thing to shoot men in the dick for being more successful at something than you (and yes, that's taken directly from the game - it's one of the missions given to you by Moxxi) and you generally hate men and you don't give a rat's arse about the already established story of Borderlands and the characters from the previous games in the series and you don't care about having no choices in the games you play and you don't care about important events in a game frequently being cut scenes in which you're paralysed for no reason and can't do anything and you don't care about characterisation in games you play and you don't want to explore the world in games you play and you like deliberately annoying platform games in a first person shooter, you'll probably enjoy BL3 a lot.

And, of course, you should buy all 3 slightly different versions of the same game at full price each and the season pass that gives you all the DLC and then the other season pass that gives you the DLC that was excluded from the first season pass because they lied about what the first season pass contained. Because you're a magic money tree sucker.

So yeah, overall I recommend not buying it despite the minor but nicely done gameplay improvements over BL2.

Soldato
I am guessing you bought this at launch and paid full price? or maybe even pre-ordered? I will only be paying £29.99 for the Ultimate Edition, So I won't be that magic money tree sucker. I rarely buy games at launch anymore.

And, thanks for the reply. Since you are still playing it, It must have something that keeps you coming back? If you really hated the game that much, no matter how much you paid for it, you wouldn't be still playing it now. If it's fun to play, has a bit excitement and humour and offers a reasonable challenge then I should like it. As for the story, well, I wasn't expecting the story to be as good as Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack was just too hard an act to follow and anything they came up with was going to be a disappointed.

Man of Honour
I am guessing you bought this at launch and paid full price? or maybe even pre-ordered? I will only be paying £29.99 for the Ultimate Edition, So I won't be that magic money tree sucker. I rarely buy games at launch anymore.

And, thanks for the reply. Since you are still playing it, It must have something that keeps you coming back? If you really hated the game that much, no matter how much you paid for it, you wouldn't be still playing it now. If it's fun to play, has a bit excitement and humour and offers a reasonable challenge then I should like it. As for the story, well, I wasn't expecting the story to be as good as Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack was just too hard an act to follow and anything they came up with was going to be a disappointed.

I paid £25 for one of the many editions, a little while ago (post 1602 in this thread). The point isn't that I paid and paid and paid again. The point is that's the business model used for the game.

As I said, I'll finish it and then I'll uninstall it. I've already paid for it, so it doesn't matter what I do with it. The gameplay is good. It's everything else that isn't. It's not just that the story isn't as good as Handsome Jack. It isn't, but as you say that was too hard an act to follow. It's everything else I mentioned in my previous post.

Borderlands 3 has the basis of a Borderlands game. One minor example that comes to mind is the loading screen message about the corrosive damage type, which states that it's great against armour and also for removing stains from clothes, but people usually care about the armour thing. Borderlands humour. But it also reminds me that the loading time is over a minute.

Borderlands 3 is sort of like the Fallout 76 of the Borderlands series, but some of its shortcomings are a lot more malicious.

Soldato
Borderlands 3 has the basis of a Borderlands game. One minor example that comes to mind is the loading screen message about the corrosive damage type, which states that it's great against armour and also for removing stains from clothes, but people usually care about the armour thing. Borderlands humour. But it also reminds me that the loading time is over a minute.

there's gotta be something more going on there, i don't recall loading times being long enough to even properly read the messages most of the time?

granted thats on an m.2 drive rather than sata so i suppose i should be expecting low load times.

as for being buggy, again can't think of anything particularly glaring, certainly nothing above and beyond what the rest of the series would have (except the enhanced version of bl1 and it's memory leak)

Man of Honour
Something very odd going on there, I also dont remember loading times being anywhere near that long, I'll reinstall it tomorrow and check the time for loading though perhaps Melmac will already have the game installed and be able to check that himself

But the thing is Angilion does hit the nail on the head when he talks about the good gameplay and thats why I like BL3, for the gameplay, I dont care about the lore or story in BL, I play something like Metro for that, all I want from a BL game is good gunplay, a laugh, some great Co-op fun (and BL3 is brilliant co-op fun) and lashings of loot, all of which BL3 delivered on for me.

Man of Honour
there's gotta be something more going on there, i don't recall loading times being long enough to even properly read the messages most of the time?

granted thats on an m.2 drive rather than sata so i suppose i should be expecting low load times.

I had a quick look online and apparently using DX12 is part of the problem, but there's a lot of complaining about the loading time. In my experience, loading times for entering new areas within the game are fine. I read quickly. The big issue is loading time from launch and loading time from the main menu. Some people are claiming as much as 20 minutes from launch to play. I think they're exaggerating, but maybe it can take that long from a HDD and with the internet connection being poor or blocked. Setting the game to "local only" in the options doesn't actually set the game to local only. I discovered that when my internet connection was flaky, which it sometimes is in the middle of the night. Probably some maintainence work my ISP is doing. Anyway, that resulted in lag spikes of up to 20 seconds in the game. Which I had set to local only in the options. I could replicate that at will by disconnecting from the net or filling my bandwidth with something else. Setting my Steam client to offline mode fixed that problem.

as for being buggy, again can't think of anything particularly glaring, certainly nothing above and beyond what the rest of the series would have (except the enhanced version of bl1 and it's memory leak)

I get CTD quite often, usually with some sort of memory allocation error but sometimes with the graphics driver falling over. Despite the fact that the graphics card driver I'm using is (unsurprisingly) more recent than the game itself. But usually a memory allocation error. Every other game I play is fine, but BL3 will CTD at least every couple of hours.

Man of Honour
I decided to time it to get some numbers:

Time from pressing "PLAY" in the Steam client to getting to the "continue/new game/etc" menu: 1 minute 52 seconds.
Time to load the saved game, from that menu to being able to play: 14 seconds.

Area transitions within the game are about the same time as loading a game. It's the time from Steam client to continue game/new game/etc menu that's the problem.

Man of Honour
1min 52 secs? I dont remember it being like that, could just be my memory, got me curious now though, I'll reinstall it now and check, only takes 10mins or so to reinstall....will post the time shortly.

I'll do 4 loads from steam to menu so that I've got more than one time and post the 4 results

Man of Honour
1min 52 secs? I dont remember it being like that, could just be my memory, got me curious now though, I'll reinstall it now and check, only takes 10mins or so to reinstall....will post the time shortly.

I'll do 4 loads from steam to menu so that I've got more than one time and post the 4 results

And I'll try DX11, which is apparently vastly faster...

Time from pressing "PLAY" in the Steam client to getting to the "continue/new game/etc" menu: 1 minute 14 seconds.
Time to load the saved game, from that menu to being able to play: 17 seconds.

Faster, but not vastly so.

Man of Honour
And I'll try DX11, which is apparently vastly faster...

Time from pressing "PLAY" in the Steam client to getting to the "continue/new game/etc" menu: 1 minute 14 seconds.
Time to load the saved game, from that menu to being able to play: 17 seconds.

Faster, but not vastly so.

I'll do 4 with dx11 and 4 with dx12, though I play on dx11 as I actually get a better avg fps on dx11.

Man of Honour
Heres the Dx11 times..

#1 - 57.56 secs
#2 - 58.11 secs
#3 - 58.01 secs
#4 - 58.09 secs

Just doing dx12 ones now...

#1 - 1 min 08.56 secs
#2 - 1 min 03.79 secs
#3 - 1 min 05.15 secs
#4 - 1 min 04.79 secs

Should be noted that it crashed twice when I quit the game whilst using DX12 though as I say I use DX11 as its got a better overall FPS so I wouldnt normally encounter those DX12 crashes.

Overall though, certainly not the 20 mins that some are saying and tbh, I'm fine with a game taking 60 secs to start, doesnt strike me as wholly unreasonable, would take me 60 secs to get comfy and grab a drink anyway :D

No idea why yours is taking almost twice the time mine does to reach the menu though, in DX12. Mine is only around 20 secs faster than yours in DX11 by the looks of it

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a quick look online and apparently using DX12 is part of the problem, but there's a lot of complaining about the loading time. In my experience, loading times for entering new areas within the game are fine. I read quickly. The big issue is loading time from launch and loading time from the main menu. Some people are claiming as much as 20 minutes from launch to play. I think they're exaggerating, but maybe it can take that long from a HDD and with the internet connection being poor or blocked. Setting the game to "local only" in the options doesn't actually set the game to local only. I discovered that when my internet connection was flaky, which it sometimes is in the middle of the night. Probably some maintainence work my ISP is doing. Anyway, that resulted in lag spikes of up to 20 seconds in the game. Which I had set to local only in the options. I could replicate that at will by disconnecting from the net or filling my bandwidth with something else. Setting my Steam client to offline mode fixed that problem.

possibly it is an internet thing, i'm getting a good 125 down so if it's internet causing the delay maybe i'm just not seeing it. i did sometimes get disconnected from shift mid-game but no associated lag spike just a popup window.

the launch is a bit longer than previous games, but wouldn't call it anything out of the ordinary for a modern game, for example getting into rdr2 takes a hell of a lot longer, or the mafia 3 "disable multiple screens, set to borderless, launch game, wait to load, set to fullscreen, never tab out ever" loop.....

i'm pretty sure i'm running dx12, i honestly can't remember but i can't think why i wouldn't have been.

I get CTD quite often, usually with some sort of memory allocation error but sometimes with the graphics driver falling over. Despite the fact that the graphics card driver I'm using is (unsurprisingly) more recent than the game itself. But usually a memory allocation error. Every other game I play is fine, but BL3 will CTD at least every couple of hours.

not had that one, but sounds system specific, i'm running a 2070 super with presumably whatever latest driver is out but i can see some cards with some drivers having some sort of issue like that.

ironically i do have issues with bl1, the enhanced version and it's memory leak is fun after an hour or so's play end up with maybe 5fps and before much longer it just straight up crashes.

Back
Top Bottom