When you first bought some excercise equipment...

Permabanned
Just thinking back to when I bought my weights and bench years ago, I kept it up for the best part of a year, then things happened (should I tell what?) and I ended up just not bothering anymore.
After that the bench ended up getting used by the GF when she was hanging up the laundry lol.
A while after that the older neighbour asked for a loan of them and he kept them till he died 3 months ago now. I was cheeky and msged his son on FB to get them back. they are just lay there in the hall gathering dust though.

What are your keep fit/get fit stories?
Did you get the urge to get fit or lose weight and then just gave up after a while?

Last edited:
Associate
before I had a weight bench in when I was much younger I put some phone books into my school bag and would run up and down the stairs.. no idea what I was hoping would happen. Year later, bought a weight bench when I moved into my first flat, used for a month or so then was promptly given away. I've now come to the realisation I get my fitness from the sports I play which I enjoy so much more.

Permabanned
OP
Maybe on Friday when I create another one of my special threads?
I was msged by Fire Wizard on Friday night and we had a little chat. ack I need a big chat but this isn't the place lol.

Soldato
We had a weights bench and weights at home when I was about 14-18, I used it a few times but I've been meaning to get ripped for the last 30 years. Funnily enough I'm just in the process of making a weights bench out of timber. Whether I'll use it that much is another story.

I bought one of those bike turbo trainer things also about 4 years ago and have maybe used it twice.

Associate
Went all out and bought a multi gym once.never assembled it ha. But I'm considering buying a bench and some weights. I've put on a few pounds where as I used to be skinny. So I have more motivation. Need to get some tinder dates.

Associate
Did you get the urge to get fit or lose weight and then just gave up after a while?

I have some 8kg weights, thinking of getting an adjustable set. I've been doing a little bit of exercise on and off, although I don't do it to lose weight. I tend to do only 10 or so sessions a month, but even doing a little bit, I feel that I'm at least keeping my strength, where as historically it would fade a little if I stopped exercising. Admittedly I spend an hour walking most days, so it's not like I need to do a huge amount once I get home.

If you're too fat just eat less, it's always worked for me.

Caporegime
I've got some plates/bars no bench or anything.

every few years I'll work hard for a few months then summer comes and it's 26c in my place even if it's only 17c outside..

occasionally I do grab a dumbell though to make sure I can still life it okay, if it's a struggle then a few times each day I'll do some reps whilst waiting for the kettle or whatever.
trying to maintain some kind of strength instead of becoming a weakling who can't do one pushup lol.

Soldato
I've had belly fat for years. Although it's more like a thing "6" shape my belly is weird. I just got fed up of being the way I was. I used to go to the gym 4 times a week and knocked out a 100KG chest prest, which was the most I ever managed considering I'm skinny.

Since falling ill around 4-5 years ago I can't do much due to dizziness any more.

Fed up of being small at 31. I have 20KG dumbells, so I knock out 10KG bicep/hammer curls at 20 reps per day. First set in the morning, last at night.

Also do squats, sit ups, crunches etc.

Man of Honour
I bought an exercise bike in 2006 which I used for a bit but found it too uncomfortable for regular use. The idea was I would just sit and ride whilst watching TV. Also some freeweights which tend to sit in a cupboard for years and then come out every now and then. Most recently when my son wanted to lift some weights with me :)

Soldato
I bought a lot of weight and a bar, not very good stuff, loaded up the bar and the bar bent. Joined a decent weight lifting gym and haven't stopped.

Associate
First exercise equipment I bought was some running shoes, then some gel heel inserts to go in them as running has always messed my joints up (probably from being overweight/obese). The inserts helped a lot and worked my way up (down!) from a 17 to a 10 minute mile (yes I'm very slow!)

Bought a basic (45KG) barbell/dumbell set the same year and used them for a couple of months, but didn't have a bench so could only progress up to what I could safely maneuver in to position on my own.
When I bought my flat (2 years ago) I bought a full power rack with cable system (and a wider barbell to fit it), scrounged a few extra 5KG plates from my mum and bought 4x10KG more, so now have around 110KG total I think.

Have managed a few bursts of consistency since then usually lasting around 2 months before I start to slack off, not sure if it's build up of fatigue or just losing interest but I gained a little bit of muscle between them.
Currently I've been recovering from surgery since September so don't feel able to do much but I'm looking forward to getting back in to it when I'm better, as well as getting out more on the mountain bike I bought last summer.
I've also continued to lose weight fairly steadily over the last year (since I last got single, so no pressure to over-indulge!), going from around 120KG to currently 94, another 10 will put me at the top of the healthy BMI range.

Capodecina
Soldato
I bought a load of weights and bars around ten years ago. I've used them on and off but nothing came of them. I ended up injuring myself through bad form last year and ended up selling them.

Associate
I have one of these coming in about a week's time.

kefy4vc.jpg

I've trained in the past, but then due to ill health, I stopped.

As I'm older and my health isn't the best I'm going to be taking my time with training.

And I'm not going to make it a big part of my life as I want time to do other things. I'm thinking if I spend too much time on training alone. I'll just get feed up with it and then just stop. So spending say 2 or 3 times a week on it only, will be for the best.

And I'm not evening thinking about gaining mass. Just trimming up and losing some of the fat, I've gained over the years.

It will be in our 12 by 12 foot shed. And I'll be adding a treadmill or bike at some point.

Back
Top Bottom