Borderlands 3

Soldato
Interesting discussion guys. Some good reading!! :)

Seems from the posts that DX11 works but Dx12 doesn't. Shame they couldn't get it working right.

Just another quick question, if you had a choice would you buy this or CyberPunk? Or if you have both, which do you prefer?

Man of Honour
[..] Just another quick question, if you had a choice would you buy this or CyberPunk? Or if you have both, which do you prefer?

I have both. I much prefer Cyberpunk 2077, despite its many flaws. I did 2 complete playthroughs of CP2077 and I'll be keeping it installed in the hope of DLC. I'll do one mostly complete playthrough of BL3 and uninstall it.

Man of Honour
Interesting discussion guys. Some good reading!! :)

Seems from the posts that DX11 works but Dx12 doesn't. Shame they couldn't get it working right.

Just another quick question, if you had a choice would you buy this or CyberPunk? Or if you have both, which do you prefer?

Unsurprisingly, I'm the opposite of Angilion :)

I preordered Cyberpunk, managed about 6 hours in it, it was the biggest waste of 50 quid in my gaming history and the biggest disappointment. I judge all my games on £ per hour, Cyberpunk managed 6 hours, absolutely nowhere near the 50 hours it would have needed to meet the £ per hour. All compounded by the absolute catalogue of total lies spun by the devs, many of which were simply outright lies about the game.

Borderlands 3 on the other hand, cost me 29.99, so I needed to hit 30 hours played in order to meet my £ per hour, in the end I reached 108 hours played, so more than hit my £ per hour criteria for good value :)

Which I guess just goes to show that different people have different tastes, for me, if asked which game I had the most fun with out of Cyberpunk and Borderlands 3, then I'd have to say that BL3 was the most fun for me, whereas Cyberpunk was just several hours of what might (and should) have been before I uninstalled it in disappointment and left it to gather virtual dust on the shelf. Maybe one day they will turn it around, after all, No Mans Sky was awful at release but the turn around theyve done on it has been nothing short of remarkable (I now have 65 hours on No Mans Sky , so met my £ per hour :) )

I should add that another factor for me is that I do A LOT of co-op gaming with my other half and friends, which of course BL3 delivered on , great fun in co-op.

Last edited:
Soldato
reminds me of the old skyrim versus witcher argument.

tried a few times to get into the witcher, and failed each time.

i don't deny that it's a good game with a lot of content and likely exactly the sort of game i should enjoy.

but i just don't.

personal taste can be weird sometimes.

Unsurprisingly, I'm the opposite of Angilion :)

I preordered Cyberpunk, managed about 6 hours in it, it was the biggest waste of 50 quid in my gaming history and the biggest disappointment. I judge all my games on £ per hour, Cyberpunk managed 6 hours, absolutely nowhere near the 50 hours it would have needed to meet the £ per hour. All compounded by the absolute catalogue of total lies spun by the devs, many of which were simply outright lies about the game.

Borderlands 3 on the other hand, cost me 29.99, so I needed to hit 30 hours played in order to meet my £ per hour, in the end I reached 108 hours played, so more than hit my £ per hour criteria for good value :)

Which I guess just goes to show that different people have different tastes, for me, if asked which game I had the most fun with out of Cyberpunk and Borderlands 3, then I'd have to say that BL3 was the most fun for me, whereas Cyberpunk was just several hours of what might (and should) have been before I uninstalled it in disappointment and left it to gather virtual dust on the shelf. Maybe one day they will turn it around, after all, No Mans Sky was awful at release but the turn around theyve done on it has been nothing short of remarkable (I now have 65 hours on No Mans Sky , so met my £ per hour :) )

I should add that another factor for me is that I do A LOT of co-op gaming with my other half and friends, which of course BL3 delivered on , great fun in co-op.

Funnily enough i love both games, i have a soft sport for BL but i sunk silly amount of hours in to both, we really are all different :D

reminds me of the old skyrim versus witcher argument.

tried a few times to get into the witcher, and failed each time.

i don't deny that it's a good game with a lot of content and likely exactly the sort of game i should enjoy.

but i just don't.

personal taste can be weird sometimes.

And to attest to the above 'we're all different' i hated Skyrim with a passion but adore Witcher3, i find it funny that games that should appeal to the same people on paper often dont.

Soldato
Damn it guys, you have left me with no choice, I will have to buy both and see for myself :p:D

Seriously though, your thoughts and opinions, both good and bad, have been a big help. The discussion has made me realise that, while I really like the story on Borderlands 2, I liked the gameplay even more. I played through the game countless times, but, I only cared about the story once. Borderlands 3 seems to have improved on the gameplay. So I think I will like it.

I will get Borderland 3 this week(before the Epic sale ends) As for CyberPunk, I will buy it, but, I am going to wait until I get a much better video card. I want to experience it in as good as Quality as possible with all the Ray Tracing bells and whistles enabled. With the current GPU situation, it might be some time before that happens. :)

Soldato
Damn it guys, you have left me with no choice, I will have to buy both and see for myself :p:D

Seriously though, your thoughts and opinions, both good and bad, have been a big help. The discussion has made me realise that, while I really like the story on Borderlands 2, I liked the gameplay even more. I played through the game countless times, but, I only cared about the story once. Borderlands 3 seems to have improved on the gameplay. So I think I will like it.

I will get Borderland 3 this week(before the Epic sale ends) As for CyberPunk, I will buy it, but, I am going to wait until I get a much better video card. I want to experience it in as good as Quality as possible with all the Ray Tracing bells and whistles enabled. With the current GPU situation, it might be some time before that happens. :)

BL3 is basically more BL2 with nicer graphics and some refinements. Yes, the main antagonists in the storyline are annoying, but I think they are supposed to be. They don't top Handsome Jack, as they are just too dumb. However, if what you want is more time in the BL universe, with more places to visit and stuff to collect, BL3 is just as enjoyable, especially with the DLC. It just more BL, and that's not a bad thing.

Man of Honour
[..] As for CyberPunk, I will buy it, but, I am going to wait until I get a much better video card. I want to experience it in as good as Quality as possible with all the Ray Tracing bells and whistles enabled. With the current GPU situation, it might be some time before that happens. :)

Maybe some time in 2077 :)

I played it at 2560x1440 on a 1070 Ti without ray tracing as that card doesn't support it. It still looked very good. There are many flaws with CP2077, but the graphics aren't one of them (unless you try playing it on a PS4 or Xbone). Nor is the music. On a fair few occasions, I ignored fast travel and spent a while riding the long way while listening to the ingame radio.

On the topic of travelling ingame, I'd recommend a motorbike. The car handling has supposedly been much improved in one of the later patches, but even a vast improvement would only make it very bad. On release, it was amazingly bad. Staring at the screen in disbelief levels of bad. But even if it was completely fixed (which it isn't), there's still the issue of driving a car on narrow roads in a city crowded with traffic and absolutely no traffic AI, not even a vague pretence at faking traffic AI. Since there are no traffic laws in the game, you can move through traffic a lot more easily on a bike. I used a bike customised by Jackie for almost all of the game - you can get it for free quite early on and I found it had the best handling and performance for my tastes. Bikes are also easier for offroading when you go outside the city.

Soldato
Best of luck Melmac, hope you find plenty of enjoyment in your choice :)

Maybe some time in 2077 :)

I played it at 2560x1440 on a 1070 Ti without ray tracing as that card doesn't support it. It still looked very good. There are many flaws with CP2077, but the graphics aren't one of them (unless you try playing it on a PS4 or Xbone). Nor is the music. On a fair few occasions, I ignored fast travel and spent a while riding the long way while listening to the ingame radio.

On the topic of travelling ingame, I'd recommend a motorbike. The car handling has supposedly been much improved in one of the later patches, but even a vast improvement would only make it very bad. On release, it was amazingly bad. Staring at the screen in disbelief levels of bad. But even if it was completely fixed (which it isn't), there's still the issue of driving a car on narrow roads in a city crowded with traffic and absolutely no traffic AI, not even a vague pretence at faking traffic AI. Since there are no traffic laws in the game, you can move through traffic a lot more easily on a bike. I used a bike customised by Jackie for almost all of the game - you can get it for free quite early on and I found it had the best handling and performance for my tastes. Bikes are also easier for offroading when you go outside the city.

Haha, 2077, Maybe they might have all the bugs sorted out by then :p

I wonder will I remember your advice when I actually buy the game in 56 years :D Must remember to bookmark this post!!

Hopefully it will only be a couple of months though. Have made plans to buy a complete new system, so will get a new GPU that way and offset the cost by selling my old computer.

Soldato
I was a pre-purchaser of BL3. Despite being a great fan of BL2, BL3 never really clicked for me. Is it now worth another look?

imo it's worth putting the time into at least 1 decent playthrough.

funny enough i also pre-purchased (something i do very rarely) then steam library syndrome hit hard and never got round to playing for a long time.

jcr

jcr

Associate
i loved BL 1 and 2. 2 being one of my favorite games. i quite liked the prequel too. but BL3 just didnt gel with me. i found some of the characters quite irritating and i never bothered to complete the gamne.

Soldato
Ok, Just a short update. Have the Game a Week now and so far it's been pretty "meh" At the moment. like the two previous posters, the game isn't really clicking for me. It's definitely lost something in the change over from Bl2 to BL3. Everything seems forced. The graphics are much nicer but the enemies seem blander, I don't even know if that's the right word. I can't explain it. Also, all the mobs, seem a lot smaller for some reason. The improvement in graphics seems to have detracted rather than added to the game.

Then there are all the weapons and other drops. 90% of the drops are the exact same with only tiny differences. I don't get the same buzz out of opening a chest in BL3. There is an item score, which I thought was a great idea when I first started playing, but, I have since found out that it's totally useless. There is just too much loot. And instead of enjoying the excitement of getting new gear it's become a chore.

I am not that far into the game yet so I can't make any comment on the story line or the character skill trees. But, I am sure the skill trees are like most other games with skill trees. Sure, you can build your character whatever way you want, but, there will only be a couple of viable builds and they are the ones that everyone is using.

TLDR: Just got the game and so far I am of the same opinion as Angilion. But, I am determined to do a complete playthrough though. So I am hoping that it turns out like Tombstone and Adolf_Hamster says it will. That the game does grow on you after a while.

Man of Honour
Ok, Just a short update. Have the Game a Week now and so far it's been pretty "meh" At the moment. like the two previous posters, the game isn't really clicking for me. It's definitely lost something in the change over from Bl2 to BL3. Everything seems forced. The graphics are much nicer but the enemies seem blander, I don't even know if that's the right word. I can't explain it. Also, all the mobs, seem a lot smaller for some reason. The improvement in graphics seems to have detracted rather than added to the game.

Then there are all the weapons and other drops. 90% of the drops are the exact same with only tiny differences. I don't get the same buzz out of opening a chest in BL3. There is an item score, which I thought was a great idea when I first started playing, but, I have since found out that it's totally useless. There is just too much loot. And instead of enjoying the excitement of getting new gear it's become a chore.

I am not that far into the game yet so I can't make any comment on the story line or the character skill trees. But, I am sure the skill trees are like most other games with skill trees. Sure, you can build your character whatever way you want, but, there will only be a couple of viable builds and they are the ones that everyone is using.

TLDR: Just got the game and so far I am of the same opinion as Angilion. But, I am determined to do a complete playthrough though. So I am hoping that it turns out like Tombstone and Adolf_Hamster says it will. That the game does grow on you after a while.

Hopefully it will click with you in time but even if it doesnt I for one really appreciate the update. All too often folks ask about a game , get feedback on that game and then you never hear from them again as to what they went on to experience, so its great to see someone continuing to give their thoughts after their purchase.

Soldato

think the smaller enemies thing is a combo of the tink's being smaller than the old school midgets and the maps being larger, making everything look smaller by comparison.

Then there are all the weapons and other drops. 90% of the drops are the exact same with only tiny differences. I don't get the same buzz out of opening a chest in BL3.

i do agree, on paper there's all sorts of differences going on but it does feel like they don't do that much and the core "groups" don't really vary much.

have you hit the orange swarm yet? i've been finding through my playthroughs that legendaries seem to be much more common than previous games and i'm finding myself able to drape my character in orange for a big chunk of a playthrough.

There is an item score, which I thought was a great idea when I first started playing, but, I have since found out that it's totally useless.

i always just used the same quick maths that i've developed over the previous series for deciding at a glance wether or not something is worth picking up. as a general rule i'll only pick up legendary to store in the bank (in case it's useful for another character), anything else that's not better than my current gear just gets left on the ground.

it's funny i recently introduced a colleague to the bl franchise and we've been doing a bl1 playthrough. he's still at the stage of hoover up everything to sell regardless, even though i've told him there's bugger all you can do with your money in bl1 :p

Caporegime
think the smaller enemies thing is a combo of the tink's being smaller than the old school midgets and the maps being larger, making everything look smaller by comparison.

i do agree, on paper there's all sorts of differences going on but it does feel like they don't do that much and the core "groups" don't really vary much.

have you hit the orange swarm yet? i've been finding through my playthroughs that legendaries seem to be much more common than previous games and i'm finding myself able to drape my character in orange for a big chunk of a playthrough.

i always just used the same quick maths that i've developed over the previous series for deciding at a glance wether or not something is worth picking up. as a general rule i'll only pick up legendary to store in the bank (in case it's useful for another character), anything else that's not better than my current gear just gets left on the ground.

it's funny i recently introduced a colleague to the bl franchise and we've been doing a bl1 playthrough. he's still at the stage of hoover up everything to sell regardless, even though i've told him there's bugger all you can do with your money in bl1 :p

Big disadvantage playing co-op - 20 minute gun management. Oh I might need this, this has good stats - who cares you'll dump it in two levels :D Just grab some fun guns and run about shooting Or do it in your own time!

Back
Top Bottom