• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Selling GPU to CEX

Associate
CEX is a safe bet, you go in, they test the card and you get your money / store credit (whatever you choose)

You will get more in store credit, could be handy if you buy from them a lot.

Personally I am staying away from anything with PayPal, was hit with the credit card chargeback scam 4 months after selling an item for £80. As it was the card company that took the money PayPal chased me for it relentlessly (wouldn't even give me 7 days to clear the balance)

Associate
I sold my 5700 XT on FB MP for £440 (which at the time i thought was crazy) and I was terrified I was going to get jumped / robbed, etc (so I stealth took a photo of the guy's license plate just in case).

I'd probably do the same and sell at CeX just because it'll be so stress-free.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

that's why I'm thinking CEX, but this mob look like they're just legalised scalping so wanted to see the boards opinions on them.

They just sell second hand goods at the going market rate - I wouldn't call that scalping. 900 quid is still lower than msrp of the 2080ti.

CEX are fine.

Associate
Do not use Facebook marketplace as if you accept payment through PayPal your not covered by sellers protection. Cash only or CEX may be the best bet or eBay but send as special delivery

Soldato
Thing to watch with CEX is that if they damage your item during testing, tough. Don't know if you can legally fight against this if occurs.

28. Testing of Products
28.1 While CeX will make every effort to look after Products left by you for test, they are left at your own risk.

Associate
Use CEX as they're reliable. The new user will get a two year warranty which is pretty generous.

Just be aware that some branches can't test the card in house and have to send it to another. A poster recently said their card was away for a good week / ten days if I'm remembering correctly before he got paid. He got the agreed amount even though the buy price had gone down in the interim.

Associate
I took my old 760 to cex a few years back.

I never had a problem with it at all but when they tested it they claimed it was crashing and artifacting.

My brother swears by the shop but i tend to stay away after that...

Soldato
DO NOT use the online auction site - It's made for businesses now and joe bloggs selling his gear is expected to accept a percentage of loss.

They will always side with the buyer and many accounts are buying only, so feedback is worthless if they have never sold anything and never intend to.

Associate
Hi

Looking to sell my EVGA 2080 ti Black Edition (luckily managed to get a 3080 ti FE) but don't want to sell through ebay cause scammers etc, was looking at Facebook marketplace but this also looks dodgy right now when it comes to selling a GPU,

I honestly don't want to scalp any one that needs a card so I thought the best way sell with no hassle would be to CEX,

They are offering about £600 for this card but selling it at £900 which seems just as bad as the ebay scammers, does anyone have any experience selling to them, I don't have the original box so not sure what the process is but it's pretty annoying knowing they are marking up 2nd hand GPU's by 300 quid, doesn't sit right with me.

dont worry about what they sell for wipe that from your memory ( what people make on something you used to own is nothing to do with you )

just look at what you can get and take the £600 its a painless process with no hassle and a damn good price still

by the time you sold on ebay for say £800 minus the fees and insured shipping you would be looking about £680 with the hassle

Associate
I sold my 5700 XT on FB MP for £440 (which at the time i thought was crazy) and I was terrified I was going to get jumped / robbed, etc (so I stealth took a photo of the guy's license plate just in case).

I'd probably do the same and sell at CeX just because it'll be so stress-free.
I would just do this. When I sold a PS5 on a site I had my phone recording the conversation in case they tried doing something dodgy or coming back to say it wasn't what I was selling. That way I had the conversation of him seeing the product and confirming it was fine. I had no issues however, I think its best to just be cautious.

Associate
I have used CEX for years, and have only had one problem when a gfx card I knew was working (i.e. in my PC that morning, and then tested again after the event) they said wasn't. If you can get to teh physical shop, I would do it that way, even though you will have to make two trips. That way, you can talk to their (poor, overworked) hardware tester in case of issue.

I also tend to voucher exchange, and the CEX balance is 'free money' in my head for a rainy-day impulse purchase. The balance you accrue doesn't expire for a century, so plenty of time to wait for the right item :)

Associate
Don’t feel bad about getting so much for your 2080ti. I recently sold one I had spare for more than I paid for it at launch 2 years earlier. Demand is simply crazy currently, I had friends begging me to sell it to them!

Associate
I would sell it to the high street shop. Sold my old GPU last weekend, at a very very reasonable price in Facebook market, just because I wanted someone to have it rather than people making any profits or taking advantage of the current situation...

In less than 1 minute I had like 10 messages, it was sold locally in the first two minutes... Now I think the guy is probably gonna resell it, if I'm honest... Just wanted someone who needs it to have the GPU, as I had been trying to upgrade for 6 months myself and I knew how frustrating all this can be...

Man of Honour
I also tend to voucher exchange, and the CEX balance is 'free money' in my head for a rainy-day impulse purchase. The balance you accrue doesn't expire for a century, so plenty of time to wait for the right item :)
The problem is they charge inflated prices so whilst you get a lot more in credit, most things you buy for hundreds/thousands is a rip off. Might be a few niche cases where it works out but I'm not sure it's a good idea for the average punter. Also I'm not sure what would happen if they went into administration or whatever, I'd rather take the cash.

One advantage of CEX is they pay more than MM in some cases, so not only is a safer transaction you also get more money.

Soldato
It's quite easy to do, you don't need the original box for graphics cards. They will take it from you and then run tests on it, and if it all works will give you the cash. Just leave enough time, when I traded in, I had to come back the next day for the cash.

You could always put a buy now price on ebay but that wouldn't stop someone from buying it just to scalp. Not sure if allowed but you could try a deal with someone on the forums?

Cash eh? I had to set up an account and they paid via BACS the next day into my bank account. Nice and straightforward.

Tried selling on the MM beforehand but no-one was willing to collect and I wasn't prepared to risk the vagaries of the post (well one person agreed to buy and didn't follow through, which reminds me still havn't left f/b on that)

Associate
Hi

Looking to sell my EVGA 2080 ti Black Edition (luckily managed to get a 3080 ti FE) but don't want to sell through ebay cause scammers etc, was looking at Facebook marketplace but this also looks dodgy right now when it comes to selling a GPU,

I honestly don't want to scalp any one that needs a card so I thought the best way sell with no hassle would be to CEX,

They are offering about £600 for this card but selling it at £900 which seems just as bad as the ebay scammers, does anyone have any experience selling to them, I don't have the original box so not sure what the process is but it's pretty annoying knowing they are marking up 2nd hand GPU's by 300 quid, doesn't sit right with me.
Tbh that doesn't even sound like it's a scalpers price. Wasn't the 2080 ti 1200 quid at launch?

Back
Top Bottom