Alarm system?

Associate
I used to install a lot of Pyronix Enforcers and still do for tenanted properties as they are happy without an Internet connection, in fact I am installing one this evening. Installation wise, the Ajax is a bit quicker as its just a case of scanning the QR code on the sensor, pushing the adopt button then configuring it in the app. Functionality wise, I think that the Ajax is more intuitive, smarter and easier to configure. Also be aware that Pyronix is likely to EOL the Enforcer in the next few years as they have totally maxed out the CPUs capabilities, so its unlikely that any more development will happen with the Enforcer range, hence the Pyronix AX Pro series which looks remarkably like the Ajax. Also in Europe Ajax is pronounced AyAxe which sounds very much like AX, you can draw your own conclusions.

Ajax are marketed and sold as an installer only product, hence them spending a lot of time on PD6662 and BS EN 50131 Compliance and are Grade 2 Certified
They have some really novel detectors that Pyronix dont offer, such as curtain beams, outdoor dual curtain, outdoor PIR with Cameras.

Overall I have more confidence in Ajax than I do Pyronix, as Ajax are more stable in the loss of internet connection (they dont need the manual reset that many of the Enforcers do) , they offer Lan, Wifi and upto 2 independent SIM cards for connection / failover and their products are always in development. Other than stability of internet connection, they are both great alarm systems but really serve different markets. Enforcer is much cheaper to install than an Ajax system. But the Enforcer is a 25 year old panel and its starting to show its age.

Last edited:
Associate
The Ajax equipment seems quite pricy compared to Ring when you start adding PIRs and door/window detectors
I guess but one is a PD6662 compliant Grade 2 alarm system and the Ring Alarm meets no UK or EN Certifications for security and costs £8 per month to have notifications to your phone. I guess it depends what you want for / from your home security. Many people are very happy with a Ring alarm and that is their choice. Similarly many people are happy to pay Simplisafe or ADT £20 - £50 per month to monitor their alarm, I'd rather monitor my own. Lots of choices for lots of budgets, there is no right answer.

My neighbour has Ring stick up cameras and they didnt capture the s***tes that screwed his van over on the drive at 3am, my Hik Cameras did. But he is happy with Ring cameras. Its horses for courses

Last edited:
Associate
I guess but one is a PD6662 compliant Grade 2 alarm system and the Ring Alarm meets no UK or EN Certifications for security and costs £8 per month to have notifications to your phone. I guess it depends what you want for / from your home security. Many people are very happy with a Ring alarm and that is their choice. Similarly many people are happy to pay Simplisafe or ADT £20 - £50 per month to monitor their alarm, I'd rather monitor my own. Lots of choices for lots of budgets, there is no right answer.

My neighbour has Ring stick up cameras and they didnt capture the s***tes that screwed his van over on the drive at 3am, my Hik Cameras did. But he is happy with Ring cameras. Its horses for courses

Yes, agree they are not of the same standard but as you say, depends on budget vs quality

Permabanned
costs £8 per month to have notifications to your phone.
Not accurate. You don’t have to pay to get notifications to your phone, that’s free. You pay for 30 day video cloud backup, extended warranty for all devices, cellular backup etc.

Even the cloud backup is only £2.50 per camera if that’s all you need.

Associate
Not accurate. You don’t have to pay to get notifications to your phone, that’s free. You pay for 30 day video cloud backup, extended warranty for all devices, cellular backup etc.

Even the cloud backup is only £2.50 per camera if that’s all you need.
We are talking about the alarm not the cameras. But thank you

Permabanned
We are talking about the alarm not the cameras. But thank you
The alarm system sends notifications with or without the the Ring protect subscription. The ring protect subscription provides added benefits such as which I provided above, not specific to the cameras.

With an optional Ring Protect Plus plan, opt into Assisted Monitoring via the Ring app and Ring Alarm will automatically call three emergency contacts during an Alarm event. So someone you trust can respond, even if you're on a plane without phone coverage.

You’ll also receive Cellular Backup in case your wifi goes offline, plus extended warranty as long as you have Ring Protect Plus , a 10% discount on Ring.com, and unlimited video storage for 30 days of recording for all of your Ring devices.

https://en-uk.ring.com/pages/security-system

Last edited:
Associate
Their website says you need the basic plan after 30 days, which is £2.50 a month. Then for their sic ‘premium features’ you have to pay £8. My Ajax may cost more, but I only pay once for all features from day one. No drip drip drip to pay for Jeffs space trips.

Permabanned
Their website says you need the basic plan after 30 days, which is £2.50 a month. Then for their sic ‘premium features’ you have to pay £8. My Ajax may cost more, but I only pay once for all features from day one. No drip drip drip to pay for Jeffs space trips.
Where does it say that? As far as I’m aware you only need it for the cloud backup etc. Notifications for the alarm system are free.

Soldato
The ring website looks pretty clear to me - notifications over WiFi are free. Two-way chat is free, real-time video is free as is theft protection and no hassle cancellation.

But even if it’s free - it’s still crap. Ajax is where it’s at at the moment. It’s a better system although I think it’s somewhat disingenuous to suggest it has no recurring fee because you do have to put a SIM card in the slot and those aren’t free to the best of my knowledge. The £8 for ring is in the ballpark when you consider it buys you cellular communications ie. they activate the e-sim.

I would always suggest Ajax first over almost anything else.

Permabanned
Ajax looks like proper good kit I’m not sure how much it would be to buy a similar kit to what I have with Ring. 4 door/window contacts, 3 motion sensors, 1 x indoor cam pointing out the back window covering my whole garden and a Ring doorbell pointing across the front of my house covering the front door and window. Cost me £250 I doubt I’ll get anywhere close to that with Ajax.

Soldato
Ajax looks like proper good kit I’m not sure how much it would be to buy a similar kit to what I have with Ring. 4 door/window contacts, 3 motion sensors, 1 x indoor cam pointing out the back window covering my whole garden and a Ring doorbell pointing across the front of my house covering the front door and window. Cost me £250 I doubt I’ll get anywhere close to that with Ajax.

For everything except the doorbell, it would be in the same ballpark. The main difference is that Ajax don’t do a doorbell. We specify a Dahua villa station in most cases and that’s £130+VAT for the doorbell and video display panel to answer it on. You can use your phone if you’re out, or anything that runs the DMSS app but Dahua and Hikvision supply a 7” Android tablet to view the doorbell on if you are at home. And that would make it significantly more expensive. On the other hand, the Ajax system will fully integrate with a proper home surveillance system and the actual function and build quality of Ajax is significantly better than anything from Ring.

Associate
For everything except the doorbell, it would be in the same ballpark. The main difference is that Ajax don’t do a doorbell. We specify a Dahua villa station in most cases and that’s £130+VAT for the doorbell and video display panel to answer it on. You can use your phone if you’re out, or anything that runs the DMSS app but Dahua and Hikvision supply a 7” Android tablet to view the doorbell on if you are at home. And that would make it significantly more expensive. On the other hand, the Ajax system will fully integrate with a proper home surveillance system and the actual function and build quality of Ajax is significantly better than anything from Ring.

You have me intrigued, what sort of cost would an Ajax system be with main unit, 4 IR sensors and 6 contact sensors

Back
Top Bottom