Spec me a drill/impact driver combo

Soldato
Looking for suggestions for a decent diy spec impact driver and drill combo for diy use.
Occasionally things like building a shed or fence but I very much don’t need professional grade kit

budget sat £150 or thereabouts maybe more if any extra will yield a much better pair or single tool

Soldato
I saw b&q had a Stanley set for, iirc, £100. I've got the combi and it's a great DIY tool.

Only downside is that other Stanley 18v tools seem to have disappeared, possibly a Brexit or Covid issue on supply. A shame not to have the option to buy other compatible tools. I got a reciprocating saw a year or so ago before they disappeared, and it's decent too.

Soldato
I saw b&q had a Stanley set for, iirc, £100. I've got the combi and it's a great DIY tool.

Only downside is that other Stanley 18v tools seem to have disappeared, possibly a Brexit or Covid issue on supply. A shame not to have the option to buy other compatible tools. I got a reciprocating saw a year or so ago before they disappeared, and it's decent too.

It’s nothing to do with anything except marketing by Stanley Black and Decker. They have 3 main brands in the UK, Stanley, Black & Decker and DeWalt. Stanley isn’t a big name in power tools in the UK and when they discovered they didn’t sell well in the UK they refocused on branding everything DeWalt, hence you can now buy a DeWalt set for £100.

Soldato
I see Toolstation are now stocking Stanley Fat Max 18v tools - Not cheap either. Well compared to what I paid for mine a few years ago.

DeWalt is cheaper.

Soldato
If this is just for bits and bobs DIY work, you probably don't need an impact driver, just a decent 18V drill driver. A few years ago I bought a 10.8V drill/impact pair and for 99% of tasks, the drill driver is enough. If you're planning something big, you might want a second battery, but they charge pretty quickly anyway.

Associate
Dewalt twin pack is excellent, can't rate it highly enough. I got mine for aroun £160 I think a couple of years ago, though I beilieve this was a particularly good offer.

Permabanned
Do you really want an impact driver? They are good, but they are also very noisy. Often with DIY you don't want to make that much noise. Also, don't go for 5Ah batteries, lol. The battery is the main weight of a cordless, so you really want as light as possible. 2Ah are a good option. However, it's always a good plan to get a second battery when you can. A good all round drill is the DeWalt 796 albeit I think a little above your budget. Get a case if you don't have anywhere decent to store the drill.

Soldato
Buy a corded unit, along with an extension cable - Will beat any cordless drill of the same price. I'd be looking at Makita, brushless.

Soldato
Only if you have big strong arms - they are heavy
For makita at least, the 5Ah weighs the same as the 3Ah.

I don't find either difficult to hold for a drill. I'd say just go 5Ah if you're likely to use other tools.

If you're just using a drill/driver, I doubt you'll ever run out of capacity on 3Ah

Soldato
Looking for suggestions for a decent diy spec impact driver and drill combo for diy use.
Occasionally things like building a shed or fence but I very much don’t need professional grade kit

budget sat £150 or thereabouts maybe more if any extra will yield a much better pair or single tool

the bosch 12V set looks pretty decent for a now and again diy type

Back
Top Bottom