• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

People who got GPUs, how did you do it?

Permabanned
I got my 3090 FE in Jan around 00:00-2:00, just check the Nvidia Store at various times per day but obv listen/look out for stock drops dates, I did not know there was drop just got lucky, added to the 3090 tended to stay up longer but the 3080's were gone in minutes (down to price no doubt).

Man of Honour
I posted in the pre sales part of the forum and asked about a 3080 with block. Someone got back to me and gave me a reference number to use and called up and ordered.

Associate
Managed to get a 3090 FE in November before all the crypto madness. Back then i really wanted a 3080ti to upgrade from my 1080ti - glad I went with the 3090 now.

Permabanned
The madness was going on then and before that is why the cards sold out at launch within secs/mins, I was never going to buy a 3080 due to VRam etc so glad I got the 3090 FE in Jan.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe I am not looking properly. Are they listing in the normal place now or still in the 3d print section? I'm looking for a 3070 although won't stretch too far past msrp so I will be waiting a while.

fe is your only option at msrp tbh

Associate
Unfortunately when I get the notification and click on the link the item is out of stock already. Useless. :(

It's not as bad with AMD cards, the 6x00 series tended to stay in stock for a little while after alerts come through, hence I was able to snag mine from her in February. Every time I tried to get a 3x00 I wasn't even able to successfully add to cart, even if I was at my PC at the time.

Soldato
Same as everyone else with a ping via discord last year no chance in hell of getting a 3080 so had to settle for 3090 instead. I've since been told you can't even get those now. I'd have settled for a 6800XT or even 6900 but those had even even less availability. I could have flogged it and made a £600 profit at one point lately but with nothing available to replace it with it was a moot point.

Associate
Same as everyone else with a ping via discord last year no chance in hell of getting a 3080 so had to settle for 3090 instead. I've since been told you can't even get those now. I'd have settled for a 6800XT or even 6900 but those had even even less availability. I could have flogged it and made a £600 profit at one point lately but with nothing available to replace it with it was a moot point.
I love the idea that you 'settled' for a 3090. That's not the way that's supposed to work at all. :cry:

Associate
Got really lucky with a 3070 last year despite being annoyed about it costing a bit more than MSRP. Then got lucky again this year when the 6700xt released, prices were kind-of ok and bagged one for my son (when stock was readily available). Both from competitors, but had a routine of checking stock on the big UK sellers during my coffee breaks. Had 4 separate 3080 orders cancelled at various sellers around Nov and Dec time before the pricing madness and a pre order I stupidly cancelled with OCUK.

Soldato
Got a 3080 FE way back in September. I just happened to be awake when they appeared on the website in the middle of the night. I have always gone for the Ti variant in the past though and so planned to upgrade when they were released…

Then the World went mad and the Ti ended up being overpriced. So whilst folks were distracted by the 3080 Ti on release day, I picked up a 3090 FE.

So FEs are certainly possible. You just need a little bit of preparation and a some luck.

Soldato
I picked up a 3080FE on the first "drop" which occured around 05:30 a week after release in September. I just happened to be at the end of another nightshift and checking the Nvidia website when stock appeared - this prompted the creation of the 30xx series thread as I was wondering if the order would be fulfilled and wanted to check if anyone else had lucked out :p. Cost £649

I had a longer wait to get a 3070 for my second system (family machine) but recently picked up a Gigabyte 3070 Vision via the forum code, again I just happened to be looking through that section of the forum and had no prior knowledge that a drop was imminent. £600 but pretty reasonable when market conditions are taken into consideration.

Patience and pure luck TBF.

Associate
I followed some good advice that I saw on here. Set up the Telegram link, log in to the officiial FE supplier, wait, react quickly when the link drops, be prepared to get what's available. I got a 3080Ti FE, not what I wanted ideally (want a 3080 AIB really) but I got what I could get. Telegram was much faster than Discord or Twitter for me.

Back
Top Bottom