Best Device For Retro - Roms Etc

Soldato
If you want to go legal Steam also has a few retro collections that I own that feature various emulated platforms including Snes, Nes and arcade.

Castlevania Collection
Contra Collection
SNK Arcade Classics

All decent enough emulation IMO from someone who played most of the original games on console or arcade.

Edit, checked my Steam list, there's more legit ways to play retro on Steam than I hadn't remembered including multiple emulated Nes and Snes games, it seems I have quite the legit collection of retro on Steam to add to my others:

Megaman Legacy Collection
Street Fighter Arcade Collection
Konami Arcade Classics
Capcom Beat em Up Collection

Add the Megadrive Collection on Steam and my Snes and Corefx Mini's, I've got plenty of legit ways to play retro games.

If they ever released Snes collections on Steam it'd be getting close to a really quite decent emulation platform in itself.

I have some too on Steam. The main collection that comes to mind however is the Mortal Kombat arcade collection. It was poor as I needed to fix it to even play it (windows games for live problem if i remember correctly) and the online multiplater was non existent. In contract I tried something years ago on the lines of project MUGEN or something like that. Online play and it worked great

Associate
a lot of old games are now open source but then lots are not

personaly have massive amounts of roms kicking around

the kids play them on the TV with a retro pie setup finaly completed final fight and one day I will get around to Bad dudes vs teh dragon ninja

there is one fighting games I cant for the life of think off it was before street fighter and you have large fighters nearly full screen

Soldato
I was toying with the idea of getting a Retroid Pocket 2 handheld, but I barely play games now :p

I got one of these just before Christmas. Absolutely love it, took quite a while to get it setup the way I wanted, however I do enjoy tinkering with this sort of stuff.

Anyway, setup all done, it sits on the arm of the settee now and it's just great being able to have a game of something while watching TV with the wife. Busy working through the GBA castlevania games.

Associate
So it's a toss up between real original hardware, emulation, or MiSTer.

Generally, you can't beat original hardware hooked up to a CRT, however NOT PAL consoles with poor PAL 50Hz ports. My SNES is a US NTSC model - has the bold block look and purple buttons. Some say the PAL SNES or the Super Famicom have better styling, but I disagree. It is a matter of personal taste however. Anyway, I want my games to play at the correct speed and not slowed down by 15 to 20%, so no poor PAL consoles for me. Super Famicom is good at 60Hz NTSC.

Raspberry Pi 4 / 400 is decent with retroarch run-ahead to reduce latency. If you've ever tried playing a real console after coming from emulation without run-ahead, you'll suddenly become a bad player with all the mis-timed jumps etc.

MiSTer is great and better than a Pi4 for the 8 and 16 bit machines however, although most people won't care enough to even know the difference

Associate
Whatever you have is probably the best ie. rarely worth buying specific extra hardware. And yes, I have a Pi4, have owned (and sold) a MISTER, and have a few PCs... and own a few retro machines still. The key here is NOT to keep buying more hardware when you have something that does 98% of the job already. MISTER takes you to 99%, original hardware probably also 99% as you'll find yourself disappointed to not have HDMI video etc!

Back
Top Bottom