The correct way to eat a custard slice?

Associate
Once dropped one in a cup of tea and then had to leave for a meeting. The amount of oil floating at the top of that tea put me off eating them since!

Man of Honour
Slightly out of date 'news' but I thought this would be an appropriate place to post. Not sur I fancy the combination of bacon and custard. Given the Somerset link potentially washed down with some cider?

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountr...ying-bacon-roll-and-custard-slice-in-somerset

When you said "combination of bacon and custard", I was expecting a combination of bacon and custard. Some weird concoction sold somewhere. I was disappointed when I read the story linked to and found that it was about someone buying a bacon roll and a custard slice as two seperate items with no indication at all that they were combined.

So...what is the correct way to combine a bacon roll and a custard slice? Should you put the custard slice inside the bacon roll or the bacon roll inside the custard slice? Or some more daring combination?

This important question was brought to you by beer, a more effective prompter of important questions than an apple on the head. Which didn't happen, but never mind. Well, it sort of happened a bit. The apple fell, but not on his head.

Permabanned
On other foods that are sometimes a pain to eat...
How do you all eat a bacon and Egg sandwich/butty?
How many times have to bit into it an the yolk just goes everywhere or just drips down your hand?

Man of Honour
What on earth is a custard slice? Is it some northern thing like black pudding?

Not being a Northerner you probably have a stupid name for it

custardslice.jpg

Man of Honour
On other foods that are sometimes a pain to eat...
How do you all eat a bacon and Egg sandwich/butty?
How many times have to bit into it an the yolk just goes everywhere or just drips down your hand?

I’ll have to take a pass on that, I love a bacon sandwich, but I’ll take it with just the bacon and brown sauce thanks, perhaps some black pepper.
I don’t think that I’ve had a fried egg for maybe forty five years.
Scrambled, poached, eggs Benedict, or boiled for me, in a sandwich it would be sliced hard boiled egg.

I lick all the custard out leaving the two layers and then finish them off.
I then suck my fingers.

SGF, proving that he’s one of our more intelligent posters.

I have one every morning, I spread the egg around the bread first and then put my bacon & sausage on top.

Oops, there again, perhaps not as erudite as I thought!

What on earth is a custard slice? Is it some northern thing like black pudding?

Promise me that you’re kidding Davy.

Associate
Correct and cleanly?

Heat a knife sharp, high quality knife to about 100 oC (not too hot or you will risk igniting the slice) and quickly push though it, ensure the surface the slice is on is protected. Cut it into 1 inch squares, or whichever best fit the size of the particular slice. To consume, push the squares onto a fork with the side of a butter knife (not the hot knife from earlier). Pop into you mouth confidently, making sure to clear you lips, last and most importantly, enjoy!

Otherwise you could just pick it up and slay the thing like a savage, IDK i'm not your keeper.

Back
Top Bottom