2017+ Vauxhall Insignia - reviews?

Soldato
Hi

Mrs needs a new car as the gearbox/diff has gone in her 2006 Audi A4 130bhp 2.0

Basically, she wants something as new as possible.
More power than the A4 had and will fit a family (2 adults/3 kids - which my old golf GTi does).
Under 90k miles and decent-ish looking.
Isn't fussed on extras but I've said there' a few that would be nice.
She does a 5 mile journey 4 times a day, with the old day out with the kids/her mum so we're looking at petrols.

Budget 10k

I've suggested Seats, Audi's, VW's, Skoda's etc but it'll be 2012-2015 models. When you're looking at newer cars under 10k that fit the budget the Insignia just keeps popping up.

I'm not a Vauxhall fan but the styling on the Insignia isn't too bad, wheels are horrid on some of them but 10k will pick up a 2018 model with 70k, full service history etc for the Sri VX Line Nav Grand Sports.

I'm really looking for someone that has driven it and what they thought about it. Any known issues etc.

Man of Honour
Anecdotally I've seen several posts in the past few years commending the new Insignia. General consensus seemed to be "not as crap as you expect it to be",

I've suggested Seats, Audi's, VW's, Skoda's etc but it'll be 2012-2015 models.
You can get 2017+ petrol Octavias with over 130bhp and under 90k on the clock for under £10k.
e.g: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101258337849

To me that's a good family car, plenty of room in the boot, parking sensors sat nav, 0-60 in under 8s bla bla.

Or a cheaper option without the high end trim level and DSG: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102249441793

Associate
No direct experience, but I can't imagine any Vauxhall being that great TBH.
If she wants as new as possible for cheapest, then Ford or Citroen? But If she's willing to go eg Korean, then Kia or Hyundai are now solid shouts.
I inherited a Hyundai a few years back that was absolutely bulletproof. I still hated it, but NM...

Soldato
Have one in the work fleet...

Horrible driving position, terrible light clutch, gearbox feels 'slushy' and just not nice to drive.

One thing going for it is 100k+ miles and considering the amount of people who drive it nothing seems to have gone wrong with it.

Have you considered a Skoda Superb or maybe even a Skoda Octavia? Could maybe get into a nice Octavia vRS.

I'm a big fan of our Superb with nothing but tyres and servicing (although I have a £800-£1000 big service this year for belts, DSG oil, tyres etc) it's been a reasonably cheap car to run.

Man of Honour
I can’t ever remember the Insignia being recommended anywhere that I’d consider credible. Surely there’s a better option?

New you're probably right but everything changes on the used market - the Insignia sits in a class of its own if you are looking at cars 2018ish for £10k. They seems like really very good value. The fact a Passat is better is irrelevant when a Passat of the same age costs thousands of pounds more.

I was pushing a nice Jag XF but it was too old :(

All the nicest XF's are old as the best XF went out of production in 2015.

Soldato
I rented one for a long drive and the ride quality really surprised me. I thought they were sales rep motorway wafters but it was unusually hard and extremely loud on the motorway, the tyre noise was really intrusive. And I'm used to noisy cars! Not at all what I expected it.
Apart from that it was very spacious and it had a heated steering wheel which was nice.

Associate
Had a few as rentals, and even though they were some of the 'better' cars we were offered (usually got Kapturs/Jukes :(), I'll echo the comments above. It is an uncomfortable car overall. The driving position feels too low and tilted back for the type of car (and I have a 2 seater so used to a low driving position). Cabin is just okay, infotainment system is okay. Headlights are poor, road illumination was near to non-existent.

I think I drove both the diesel and petrol. Diesel felt un-refined and noisy, petrol was okay.

Soldato
Agree with the general consensus of this thread. I've had a few as hire cars and while they have more modern technology than my mk4 Mondeo, IMO they fall behind in terms of ride quality, comfort, visibility, and ergonomics.

You can't argue at how much car you get for your money on the used market though.

Man of Honour
I rented one for a long drive and the ride quality really surprised me. I thought they were sales rep motorway wafters but it was unusually hard and extremely loud on the motorway, the tyre noise was really intrusive. And I'm used to noisy cars! Not at all what I expected it.
Apart from that it was very spacious and it had a heated steering wheel which was nice.

This has been my experience whenever I've had to ride in one for whatever reason - found longer trips fatiguing due to road noise and connection with the road and likewise I'm used to noisy cars.

Otherwise seemed OK build quality and features I couldn't fault if very very average material and style wise but really not a place I'd want to be for longer trips.

Soldato
How big are the kids....
that yes - the 71 red insignia @aldi this morning look nice, but they look big/thirsty cars, for school run.

mazda 6 ? can approach the vauxhall £10K price/age-wise, maybe maintenance is more expensive (bar, the mazda 6 alarm failure problem in other thread)

Soldato
maybe insignia feel smaller on the inside, but, versus an a4/golf; 47mpg does look good though;
-cambridge roads didn't get any wider to accomodate the bigger cars people hang out in.

Associate
tbh i have looked at these for a few years but always seem to get put off by the number with engine faults or especially with vauxhall autos the number with box problems, not saying they all do but i have been offered very cheap insignias etc and always been put off :(

Back
Top Bottom