Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Associate
Muscavado sugar is killer in porridge. Be sure to leave some of the clumps whole so you get nice bits of caramel flavour in there.
My go to is honey with flaked almonds and a little drizzle of double cream on top - ultimate luxury.

Associate
Muscavado sugar is killer in porridge. Be sure to leave some of the clumps whole so you get nice bits of caramel flavour in there.
My go to is honey with flaked almonds and a little drizzle of double cream on top - ultimate luxury.

I'm gonna have to try this one!

Its a great versatile breakfast! I usually either add fruit or use a protein powder (either strawberry or chocolate) if I exercised the day previously. This also helps you feel fuller for longer.

How do people cook theirs? I just shove mine in the microwave for two minutes and jobs a good'un. But having visited my parents recently they still cook it the traditional way - something I don't have time for!

Soldato
I'm gonna have to try this one!

Its a great versatile breakfast! I usually either add fruit or use a protein powder (either strawberry or chocolate) if I exercised the day previously. This also helps you feel fuller for longer.

How do people cook theirs? I just shove mine in the microwave for two minutes and jobs a good'un. But having visited my parents recently they still cook it the traditional way - something I don't have time for!

Heating porridge up in a microwave is not only sacrilege, it's also not as tasty.

I know this as I had to microwave my porridge a couple of years ago when I had to replace my failed gas oven.

Just wasn't as creamy or as nice to eat.

Should always be done on a hob for maximum taste IMO, and only takes a few minutes more.

Caporegime
OP
Heating porridge up in a microwave is not only sacrilege, it's also not as tasty.

I know this as I had to microwave my porridge a couple of years ago when I had to replace my failed gas oven.

Just wasn't as creamy or as nice to eat.

Should always be done on a hob for maximum taste IMO, and only takes a few minutes more.
Or get yourself an instant pot... Duo Evo Plus 10-in-1 Multi Pressure Cooker – Instant Pot UK

Clearly not just for porridge, they do tons of stuff and are a big time saver. They also do a mini 3L version Duo 7-in-1 Multi Pressure Cooker – Instant Pot UK

Associate
yeah definitley on the hob. I have used the microwave in the past but I actually find it easier to get it right every time on the hob.

Also cinammon is a good shout, that or nutmeg!

Associate
I didn't realise I was in the minority on this! I didn't notice a difference in taste when it was cooked on the hob.

Or get yourself an instant pot... Duo Evo Plus 10-in-1 Multi Pressure Cooker – Instant Pot UK

Clearly not just for porridge, they do tons of stuff and are a big time saver. They also do a mini 3L version Duo 7-in-1 Multi Pressure Cooker – Instant Pot UK

This bit of kit also massively beats the simple rice cooker I have... I might have to invest into one!

Soldato
This hob vs microwave thing is a bit of a misdirection. Like a risotto, porridge needs stirring to help the oats release their starch, which gives the creaminess. This can also be done in the microwave, if you take it out every twenty seconds and give it a really good, firm stir with a wooden spoon, being sure to press the oats against the side or bottom of your bowl. If you just bang it in and wait for the ping, it won't be as creamy.

Associate
This hob vs microwave thing is a bit of a misdirection. Like a risotto, porridge needs stirring to help the oats release their starch, which gives the creaminess. This can also be done in the microwave, if you take it out every twenty seconds and give it a really good, firm stir with a wooden spoon, being sure to press the oats against the side or bottom of your bowl. If you just bang it in and wait for the ping, it won't be as creamy.

I'm going to try this and report back tomorrow! It's a good insight and wouldn't have thought that would make a difference.

Associate
This is completely true from my experience too. It's the main reason why I normally do it on the job as it saves me taking it out of the m/wave so often.

Caporegime
Interesting. I didn't know this. I mean, I do hob cook and stir, but will maybe stir even more now :) Thanks.
surprised no one made a microwave that self stirs.
you could do it really easy with a small removable tube or whatever that attaches to the ceiling and into your bowl.
all microwaves rotate your food anyway

Associate
Well guys, in the end I eventually migrated away from porridge... to just oats, milk and honey. Not sure what the exact reason is but I think porridge became inconvenient to make and eat vs oats due to the time cooking it and then the time it needed to cool down etc. When I am waking up in the morning after workouts then my starved brain took the easy option and then it became routine. *shrugs* :o

Maybe one day I will return to porridge. :D
I'm confused. Is this not porridge? Or are you talking overnight oats?

I feel the only real debate here should be milk or water. I'm not strongly in any camp as I will flip flop between the two.

Associate
surprised no one made a microwave that self stirs.
you could do it really easy with a small removable tube or whatever that attaches to the ceiling and into your bowl.
all microwaves rotate your food anyway

Better patent that idea!

I found stirring them at 45 second intervals made them a little creamier, so will continue doing so.

Back
Top Bottom