Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Soldato
This is my worry...
I keep seeing ads for the SecretLab stuff. But aside from some gushing youtube reviews, seems to be plenty like yours.
And tbh, the whole "racing seat" look doesn't make sense to me. Racing car seats are shaped like that to keep you firmly in place under high-G, not while sitting at a desk..

I keep seeing Herman Miller stuff recommended. But its a lot of money on something un-tested.

How are you returning the SecretLab chair? They provide a return label?

I’ve requested the return but it’s my expense to pay for the return postage (about £20-30).

If you sit at your desk for more than 3 hours, I would not recommend.

The reason why you see so many positive reviews is because Secretlab offers a 5 year warranty IF you post a positive review so most people will be doing it purely for that and that alone.

Associate
I’ve requested the return but it’s my expense to pay for the return postage (about £20-30).

If you sit at your desk for more than 3 hours, I would not recommend.

The reason why you see so many positive reviews is because Secretlab offers a 5 year warranty IF you post a positive review so most people will be doing it purely for that and that alone.
Holy cow... that properly taints the brand for me.

Normally Id only sit at my desk 2-3hrs at a time. But with work from home, its more like 8+. So yea...the markus is holding up well, but as said does not compare to what we have in the office. (Some clever folks took the chair home when our company closed the offices! I was sure wed be back in a few weeks and didnt think to bother...)

Soldato
Sorry, it was 2 years but still a bit dodgy!

I took the chair apart this evening and they make it as hard as they can to prevent you from doing so.

You need a rubber mallet and a wrench just to get the wheel base and pump off. Lucky enough my neighbour had both.

Once my return has been sorted, I will be telling everyone I know to avoid like the plague.

Associate
After 6 months of searching I finally settled on a Giroflex G64. First impressions, its a lot more firm than I expected but then my previous chair was all cushion and no support. Condition is fantastic given that its used (new fabric). So many features. Love the tilt mechanism, such a smooth rocking action - hard to describe without going full Patridge so i’ll leave it there. Very adjustable with the arms, seat and backrest. Pleased so far for ~£150. Will report back if I have any other thoughts or anyone considering one has any questions.

Associate
I've got a Herman Miller Aeron, as a Software Engineer spending so much time sitting down, to me the most important thing is function and a chair that's been designed for prolonged use. It works well and I'd take it over a gaming chair any day, but is it worth it's price tag? Probably not, but I'm not sure I could find anything as good at a lower price.

Caporegime
After 6 months of searching I finally settled on a Giroflex G64. First impressions, its a lot more firm than I expected but then my previous chair was all cushion and no support. Condition is fantastic given that its used (new fabric). So many features. Love the tilt mechanism, such a smooth rocking action - hard to describe without going full Patridge so i’ll leave it there. Very adjustable with the arms, seat and backrest. Pleased so far for ~£150. Will report back if I have any other thoughts or anyone considering one has any questions.
Good choice, I think you will like it after a few weeks of sitting on nit and getting used to it. :)

I have no idea why anyone buys new chairs when you can get such bargains for such a huge discount on the used market.

Associate
After spending lots on office chairs I tryed a kneeling chair.
Amazing despite no back support you can work/play for hours and as a bonus they also improve your posture.

Soldato
So as an update on the Secretlab return, it's ended up costing me £65 to get it returned via Parcelforce.

Checked all the other couriers but it's considered a 'furniture' item and thus on their prohibited list....

Took a few chase emails to get Secretlab to agree to the return and I had to sign a disclaimer with quite a few clauses in order for them to accept it.

Anyone looking at a Secretlab chair should carefully consider this return policy before purchasing.

Associate
Just a general recommendation for anyone really. I bought an Orangebox Do at the beginning of lockdown and it's been the best purchase I made in a while. I got it 2nd hand from a refurbisher for £120 in pretty much new condition. It's simple to operate, looks great (clean and simple design) and is super comfy for long sessions. Coming from a noble to this was like switching from a rock to a cloud.

Associate
Bought a vertagear sl2000 from occur a couple years back, it did fall apart over time and get less comfy but thanks to OCUK I got some spare parts sent out to get it fixed up. But, a friend with an office chair (Herman Miller Aeron) said that their chair of similar lifespan was a lot more robust and had basically 0 issues with durability and degradation over time. They may be more expensive but they are definitely worth it.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Went into the office today for the first time in months, Everything has been refurbed, and they now have a lot of Haworth Zody chairs instead of the usual HM Aeron's and Mirra's. I've been after an Orangebox Do with tilt limiter and 4D arms but they're like rocking horse poo to find.

The Zody is far and away more comfortable compared to the Do. I need one.

Associate
After spending lots on office chairs I tryed a kneeling chair.
Amazing despite no back support you can work/play for hours and as a bonus they also improve your posture.

Any recommendations on where to get a decent kneeling chair? Spent thousands on chairs over the past few years and never found anything that was remotely comfortable, was thinking a posture change might be a better solution than trying to find something with strong enough lumbar support.

Aeron was the most recent disappointment, after two months of having to chase their support for a delivery date. I bought the fat arse model cos I like to sit with my legs open, but even on their largest size, the seat's way too restrictive with these raised hard plastic edges. Lumbar support isn't even adjustable to boot, insane that they charge over £1k. Here's to two more months of trying to chase their support to get it returned.

Associate
So as an update on the Secretlab return, it's ended up costing me £65 to get it returned via Parcelforce.

Checked all the other couriers but it's considered a 'furniture' item and thus on their prohibited list....

Took a few chase emails to get Secretlab to agree to the return and I had to sign a disclaimer with quite a few clauses in order for them to accept it.

Anyone looking at a Secretlab chair should carefully consider this return policy before purchasing.
Yikes thats costly. It was free with Steelcase/Herman Miller chairs but you're also paying MUCH higher for them.

Man of Honour
I was considering many different chairs and in the end went for the Noblechairs Hero Black Edition.

I'm not really interested in searching different sites trying to find a 'refurb' chair that may or may not suit how I sit. I have tried an Aeron before and while it's obviously good, I don't tend to sit 'properly' and it commands an enormous premium, even over the already quite expensive chairs like the Nobles.

After reading things like this thread, my expectations were subdued to say the least. However, it arrived today and the quality seems very good, the materials are nice and there are no obvious poor areas. It has a lot of decent adjustment, including lumbar.

I have previously used an Ikea Markus for quite some time and also found that to be a good chair, I know it's popular but it regularly gets slated by 'chair people'.

Early days of course, but it seems to support well.

Back
Top Bottom