Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Associate
Salewa Micra II on rainforest for £100, seems a good tent to start with as my first one?
Not used the Salewa myself but I can recommend the Vango Nova 300. Priced similarly to that in Go Outdoors and it's a great tent. Quick and easy to put up, seems great quality and has all the features you might need in my opinion. It's branded as a 3 person tent but it's more a comfy 2 person tent.

Soldato
Bought some Saloman trainers in the end. Don't think they look as good but seem very sturdy so far. Boots wise I've got Brasher ones to wear out for a bit longer - not the best in the wet though for the pair I have.

It's all I will use now. They fit my narrow feet well, don't fall apart . are as comfy as hell and if you look around can be had for peanuts. I just bought some Salomon XUltra 3 Prime GTX Mens Walking Shoes for a touch over £50

Soldato
Are there any people on here either from the Highlands or take there dogs there? If so what do you recommend as a tick repellent. I'm doing 7 days up there just me and my two small dogs, driving and a bit of easy walking. Last time I was there one of them picked up quite a few ticks so I would like to try and prevent them.

Soldato
I am but I don't really bother with any repellant. I use smidge to keep midges off sometimes which I think stops ticks too. The best way to stop them is to tuck your trousers into your socks so they can't get in.
Check yourself over at the end of each day you've been out. They like the backs of knees, between your legs and your armpits. Sometimes not easy to spot by eye but you'll usually feel them if you run your hand over it.
Get a tick card to remove them but take tweezers too because the smaller ones are too small for the card. There's a knack to removing them with tweezers - you need to be gentle because you don't want to crush it but also quite firm because their grip is strong.

Soldato
Are there any people on here either from the Highlands or take there dogs there? If so what do you recommend as a tick repellent. I'm doing 7 days up there just me and my two small dogs, driving and a bit of easy walking. Last time I was there one of them picked up quite a few ticks so I would like to try and prevent them.

For myself I use permethrin for all gear and deet for any exposed skin (hands and head) and so far no ticks, but it's not an easy one to answer with regard to dogs as there's various potential health issues with many of the products that are available.

You probably need to do a bit of research and see what you think yourself. I'd rather not use chemicals on my dog so I recently bought a bottle of this to try ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F71JN2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 after having it recommended. I have also heard that lemon juice is quite effective, too.

Some people just spray permethrin straight onto their dog's coat but I don't think I'll be doing that. I'm sure it'll work as permethrin is very effective against ticks.

The O'tom tick twisters seem to be the best for removing ticks https://www.amazon.co.uk/OTom-02-3785-Otom-Tick-Twister/dp/B0089BOK12/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=o'tom&qid=1623875587&sr=8-1

There's flea and tick collars with varying reports of effectiveness but again it's usually some sort of chemical. If you're going to try a chemical just go easy with it at first to see if your dog has any reaction to it.

Ticks are becoming a real problem, tick borne diseases can be very nasty.

Soldato
For myself I use permethrin for all gear and deet for any exposed skin (hands and head) and so far no ticks, but it's not an easy one to answer with regard to dogs as there's various potential health issues with many of the products that are available.

You probably need to do a bit of research and see what you think yourself. I'd rather not use chemicals on my dog so I recently bought a bottle of this to try ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F71JN2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 after having it recommended. I have also heard that lemon juice is quite effective, too.

Some people just spray permethrin straight onto their dog's coat but I don't think I'll be doing that. I'm sure it'll work as permethrin is very effective against ticks.

The O'tom tick twisters seem to be the best for removing ticks https://www.amazon.co.uk/OTom-02-3785-Otom-Tick-Twister/dp/B0089BOK12/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=o'tom&qid=1623875587&sr=8-1

There's flea and tick collars with varying reports of effectiveness but again it's usually some sort of chemical. If you're going to try a chemical just go easy with it at first to see if your dog has any reaction to it.

Ticks are becoming a real problem, tick borne diseases can be very nasty.

Thank you. I always cover myself so|I'm not fussed, it's the dogs. I think I'll give that Chambers a try, it seems similar to the fly repellent we use on the horses. I think checking them is the key and getting rid of any they pick up.

Soldato
what does everyone use for their cook kit?
I've picked up one of those mini stoves and a MSR Trail Mini Solo to take bikepacking so hope that's enough to cook up some rice or pasta or something and make a coffee in the morning.

Soldato
Avon Skin So Soft is the best bug repellent I've used, locals in Scotland recommended it to me during midge season.

Doesn’t work in my neck of the woods. Midge central, especially on Rannoch Moor it’s deadly for midges. Only thing that really works is a midge jacket. Tried every repellent and they will eat you alive.

Soldato
Doesn’t work in my neck of the woods. Midge central, especially on Rannoch Moor it’s deadly for midges. Only thing that really works is a midge jacket. Tried every repellent and they will eat you alive.

Have you ever tried vitamin B1 (Thiamine)? I've had it recommended a few times over the years but never got round to trying it myself.

Soldato

It doesn't seem to work for me either. I always get torn to pieces and react really badly to them as well so they itch for days. I was out climbing last weekend and stood belaying in a cloud of midges. The next day it looked like I had the plague as my face and legs were covered in bites!

Caporegime
Avon Skin So Soft is the best bug repellent I've used, locals in Scotland recommended it to me during midge season.

We had both that and smidge during the west highland way, smidge worked better. Not that it actually worked, I'm full of bite marks but it was more pleasant with it on than it was off.

Back
Top Bottom