Going tubeless - Getting there

Soldato
From lunchtime today rear had gone from 40to 20 and front from 40 to 30.

Added another 80ml of sealant to both, reinflated to 60psi and shock them around again.

Let's see where we are tomorrow. Might get a bowl of water and try to see where the air is coming from if they still leak.

that was going to be my suggestion, possible a bad valve/cracked valve maybe?

Soldato
OP
Had a look at them this morning - both down to about 25psi (from 60psi) at 10pm.

They are not going down fast enough to cause an issue riding on them, but something is still not right.

I'd be surprised if *both* valves (muc-off) had a failure, I installed the valve rings about as tight as I could do by fingers. Maybe a little more.

When I installed the rim tape, I ran a layer of electrical tape around the base channel of the rim over the spoke holes (starting just before the valve and finishing just after - so the valve area had two layers and everywhere else had one. Then did the same with the actual rim tape. As a result the valve is sitting on two layers of rim tape over two layers of elec tape.

I think I might simply pump them up this evening, go for a ride and hope splashing the sealant (Caffelatex Effetto Mariposa) around will help.

Soldato
Well, all the bits arrived today.

I had cleaned both rims yesterday so they were ready for the tape today.

Went with one layer of electrical tape first and then the rim tape over that. All went well nice smooth tape application. Valves fitted no problem.

Put the first tire on and went round the rims with some soapy water. Hooked up to my cylinder and got a semi satisfying crack. Quickly fitted the valve body and then pumped up to 60psi (max rating for the tire).

Repeated for the other tire. Only issue was a stubborn slow leak from the tire bead where the rim join was.

Left both for a little time and then let the air out and put the sealant in through the valve.

Pumped both back up with the track pump to 60psi and did the sealant dance. That seemed to stop the slow leak as well.

O1LWcri.jpg

Can't hear any air escaping, will check pressures tomorrow....

Fingers crossed.
Any reason for the double tape? I only have a single layer of gorilla tape that overlaps about 1 inch at the valve.

Did you remember to pull it really tight, and it's the right width tape for the rim.
Also it's a good idea to do the tape then put a tube in overnight at as high a pressure as you dare. Stops leaks under the tape, but too late for that now after putting sealant in.

It is very satisfying when it all works out.

Soldato
OP
@robj20 Followed some gmbn video suggesting elec tape under rim tape, seemed to make sense. The rim tape I used went on clean and I checked for air bubbles etc, I then went round each rim a few times with a clean cloth making sure it was firmly seated. I was pleased with that element.

I'm optimistic that a decent ride will sort it out. There are a fair few forum threads that suggest riding on them will usually sort out slow leaks. If it doesn't I'll get a big bowl of water!

If that doesn't work, I'll use it as justification with my wife for a new bike :)

Soldato
OP
Well, done about 40 miles now. Can't really say I can feel much difference.

Hoping that the puncture resistance will be worth it. Although to be fair, sealant filled inner tubes worked pretty well over the last year. Last tube I changed had 3 or 4 self sealed thorns etc.

Soldato
Well, done about 40 miles now. Can't really say I can feel much difference.

Hoping that the puncture resistance will be worth it. Although to be fair, sealant filled inner tubes worked pretty well over the last year. Last tube I changed had 3 or 4 self sealed thorns etc.
What pressures do you run?

Soldato
OP
Normally mid 30s. Most of the stuff I cycle on is bridleways, farm tracks and stuff. There's a lot of flint around here so I've tended to favour slightly higher pressures to add a bit of extra puncture protection.

Soldato
Normally mid 30s. Most of the stuff I cycle on is bridleways, farm tracks and stuff. There's a lot of flint around here so I've tended to favour slightly higher pressures to add a bit of extra puncture protection.
Slightly. Must be solid at those pressures, I run 22psi front 26psi rear for normal riding.

Back
Top Bottom