*** GB News *** (stay on topic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Advertisers are simply using their buying power, just like ypu hsve stopped buying certain ciders. Does that nake you a fascist?

It's totally disingenuous to compare individual purchasing decisions, made by customers, with concerted campaigns, by pressure groups, to try to scare companies away from advertising or being associated with a news and opinion channel. Especially when said pressure groups really represent fringe views themselves.

Fascist is an over used term that I would not apply for these actions but it is rather sinister and ultimately a bit stupid to support such attempts at suppression of one's Ideological opponents.

It also smacks of a failed set of ideologies that cannot stand challenge.

Soldato
All these brands pulling their advertising is frankly embarrassing. They can’t even give a reason, one of them noting something along the lines of ‘we will watch the channel and see what it’s like’. In other words they don’t actually have a reason except that a few vocal people on social media have pressured them because they don’t like the idea of a news channel that wants to give a different perspective.

But apparently cancel culture isn’t a real thing.
That's strange, I'm sure some forum users were gaslighting telling everyone ealier in this thread, how this was just a few loons on twitter and nothing was going to happen.

Also it does seem like certain people are very active in this thread even though this news site isn't aimed at them. Interesting.

Soldato
Whos harassed who again?

Activist groups have sought to intimidate companies to make them withdraw advertising.

It doesn't take much for companies to decide to avoid social too much social media drama and withdraw advertising. I don't trust that almost any of these companies (executives) are actually sincere.

Of course companies like alcohol sellers and companies with executives recently convicted of illegally spying on their employees who also do business in China and Saudi and who have a history of using forced labour really are not best placed to take such supposed political stands

Soldato
Activist groups have sought to intimidate companies to make them withdraw advertising.

It doesn't take much for companies to decide to avoid social too much social media drama and withdraw advertising. I don't trust that almost any of these companies (executives) are actually sincere.

Of course companies like alcohol sellers and companies with executives recently convicted of illegally spying on their employees who also do business in China and Saudi and who have a history of using forced labour really are not best placed to take such supposed political stands
Im talking about gb news and sponsors withdrawing adverts etc.

Whos harassed them?

Soldato
So many people going full retard over a news channel :cry:

It's great viewing.
Quoted for truth. We *are* talking about the GB News fans who've spent years forever spitting out their cornflakes about the "leftist BBC", calling people fascist for not wanting to buy certain furniture, and protesting against boycotts by way of a boycott, right?
It's totally disingenuous to compare individual purchasing decisions, made by customers, with concerted campaigns, by pressure groups, to try to scare companies away from advertising or being associated with a news and opinion channel. Especially when said pressure groups really represent fringe views themselves.

Fascist is an over used term that I would not apply for these actions but it is rather sinister and ultimately a bit stupid to support such attempts at suppression of one's Ideological opponents.

It also smacks of a failed set of ideologies that cannot stand challenge.
So the difference lies in how much victimhood and fear of conspiracies the boycotter possesses. I see.

Soldato
Im talking about gb news and sponsors withdrawing adverts etc.

Whos harassed them?

The 'them' I'm talking about is the potential companies seeking to advertise and I have already answered the question in regards to them.

'Activist groups have sought to intimidate companies to make them withdraw advertising.'

Soldato
Thought I'd drop by to see what was happening, I haven't been disappointed :cry: That said I would have to agree with those saying there shouldn't be any attempts to influence the output of news organisations. The market should dictate their content, if it's good and seen as trustworthy then they will succeed, if not they will fail. Trying to control the output will inevitably result in serious issues with the discourse becoming lopsided. The truth is we will never all agree and there is always a similarly rough 50:50 split in left/right wherever you go in the world, it's just how it is.

Don
This is NOT a general politics thread, please try and stay somewhere near the actual topic - I've just deleted a load of bickering and thread banned a couple of people, it would be a shame to have to resort to locking these kind of Threads

Soldato
Quoted for truth. We *are* talking about the GB News fans who've spent years forever spitting out their cornflakes about the "leftist BBC", calling people fascist for not wanting to buy certain furniture, and protesting against boycotts by way of a boycott, right?
So the difference lies in how much victimhood and fear of conspiracies the boycotter possesses. I see.

Sorry it's the liberals that are going mad over a silly news site

With ban this and ban that. Never go full retard.
But it's great viewing for me :)

Soldato
All this fuss over a news channel :D

It's really about politics, some take that very seriously. The last people you want involved in politics are those that take it too seriously;) After all it's just about opinion, who's to say which opinion is right? It's all influenced by personal experience. My opinion and there's may be perfectly valid based on our own experiences. Be very wary of anyone that wants to tell you what your opinion should be, no matter what their politics. It soon becomes a religious dogma and zealotry.

Soldato
So after a couple of days, I'm still not sure why people are going absolutely nuts over this. The pulling of advertising without the complainants presenting evidence of their grievances is frankly embarrassing.

Colin Brazier and Mercy Muroki are quite watchable (actually I think Mercy was an excellent pick) and I don't feel like they are emanating an aura of hate.

I suspect Kirsty Gallagher might be a bit anti-vax but she's said her piece and the counter arguments were made quite firmly.

The only thing I've seen that I'm not keen on is Dan Wooton who does feel a bit like the Daily Mail on TV. "Dewbs" is obviously marmite and a little cranky.

I'll carry on dipping in on the odd occasion out of interest tbh, I don't get what all the fuss is. I don't really like watching TV at all but it's been amusing watching this develop.

Soldato
So after a couple of days, I'm still not sure why people are going absolutely nuts over this. The pulling of advertising without the complainants presenting evidence of their grievances is frankly embarrassing.

Colin Brazier and Mercy Muroki are quite watchable (actually I think Mercy was an excellent pick) and I don't feel like they are emanating an aura of hate.

I suspect Kirsty Gallagher might be a bit anti-vax but she's said her piece and the counter arguments were made quite firmly.

The only thing I've seen that I'm not keen on is Dan Wooton who does feel a bit like the Daily Mail on TV. "Dewbs" is obviously marmite and a little cranky.

I'll carry on dipping in on the odd occasion out of interest tbh, I don't get what all the fuss is.

I suspect it's just goes against the narrative of a certain section of the Twittersphere. Not to be taken too seriously. I just watch a bit of everything, somewhere between all the noise you'll find the truth hopefully! A little more reporting of facts, in the news in general, wouldn't go amiss, and less of the opinions of the new personality.

Soldato
I suspect it's just goes against the narrative of a certain section of the Twittersphere. Not to be taken too seriously. I just watch a bit of everything, somewhere between all the noise you'll find the truth hopefully! A little more reporting of facts, in the news in general, wouldn't go amiss, and less of the opinions of the new personality.
Yeah, that is my problem with Wooton - "the way I feel", "my opinion", "I think".

I suppose it's a personality driven segment but he's pretty divisive IMO so possibly not the best choice.

I just watch a bit of everything, somewhere between all the noise you'll find the truth hopefully!
Amen, buddy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom