EK launches RTX 3080 and 3090 active backplates

Soldato
That is cool. Won't get one for my 3080 as cost enough already with a block and backplate! (still, glad I actually have one in these times!)

Soldato
The amount of design work gone into this backplate waterblock is so minimal, you can tell from the lazy design work on the block itself. No attempt to style it in any way, the thing just looks so out of place.

Associate
Ok, i managed to get a Palit Gamerock 3090 yesterday, Alphacool are meant to release a waterblock for that PCD tomorrow but ideally wanted a ek one with an active waterblock

Soldato
OP
The amount of design work gone into this backplate waterblock is so minimal, you can tell from the lazy design work on the block itself. No attempt to style it in any way, the thing just looks so out of place.

It's cause they took their exsting backplates and just stuck a block ontop of it, that's why it looks so random.

I suspect that they suspect the 3090's rear memory could be a one off, so they don't want to spend too much engineering resources making a fancy full cover block that next year will become end of life never to be seen again.

But if Nvidia continues to stick memory modules on the back of the card and they run hot, then I could see EK making a proper looking rear block

Associate
To be fair, I'm using one myself and I'm very happy with it.
The only issue was the short screws, promptly sorted by EK.
Could be better, sure, adding fins where every hotspot is, but three main reason not to, IMO:
1: flow restriction. Think about all those fancy distro with the wimpy DDC 3.1. Won't cut the mustard.
2: cost. Adding complexity to the block, which won't sell near as much as any other waterblock. Basically is only worth for the 3090. 3080, not so much.
3: solve the main issues as it is. Using that block you won't thermal throttle your memory. You won't. So why change?

Associate
My goodness the FE backplate looks so nice

It does look glorious, but 250 EUR, plus the original block which I think was 250... Adds up to VERY premium solution. I think I'll stick with my cheapo Corsair block and Mp5works setup this round.

Back
Top Bottom