Canon C500 mkII - Video editors

Associate
What's your minimum spec graphics card/CPU/memory to edit C500 mkII RAW?

I'm using an AMD 3700X with 64GB DDR 4 ram and NVMe/SSD drives and my system still can't handle RAW from the C500 mkII. I am using an old school 970 gtx however.

Soldato
You mean raw light i assume. What are you editing with PP? That should be good enough, I can edit 4k raw light footage using a amd 3600, 32gb and a nvidia 3070 just fine, ofc I'm occasionally having to render small parts once I start stacking the timeline but thats expected.

What's it actually doing? Is it just a scrubbing issue or more?

Also what res? Are you shooting full 5.9K because that's a ridiculous bump in power requirements if so and probably worth considering if its actually required for client needs.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I can edit Canon C200 raw light footage fine on my setup, most times Premiere timeline is yellow, a pre render is easy.

The C500 mkII raw is 6k res and it’s pure red on the timeline. Slow to load and really sluggish on playback. I didn’t realise it was on RAW only with 6K.

I shot some tests auto see what it’s like as the 10bit 4K was more than enough generally as I shoot mainly dramas.

Soldato
It was my understanding that a c500 also shoots raw light internally but at 5.9k, only the c700 can shoot in 16bit raw. Assuming this is correct its not the act of shooting in raw light that's the issue its just the resolution bump.

5.9k RL pushes over 2Gbps whereas 4k RL is 1Gpbs so you can see the substantial data requirements between them.

Honestly if there's no real need to be shooting 5.9k apart from that 'you can', id toss it and just go 4K RL...could go XF-AVC i guess to knock 200Mbps off the stream rate..depends if its noticeable aside from obvious bit depth loss (probably not).

For my work we're only shooting in RL for the super high end stuff (like once a year jobs) most of the time were knocking the quality down during shooting to help us edit faster but we 'generally' have fast turn around requirements but I get that it may be different for you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to clarify yes I was referring to RL 5.9K. Didn't have the option to export at the time to an external recorder. I was only testing the RL to see what its like.

To be fair I've not even shot much on 7 bit on the C200 neither.

Be good to see some of your work. Might be in similar area or near to me.

Associate
It'd be interesting to have a little play with, if any of you guys were happy to upload a clip?

Does no one use proxy workflows though? I've basically never not used a proxy workflow - I think there was a moment just before 4k where HD workflows were done natively, but otherwise it's always low res proxies and a conform.

I must admit I'm a little spoiled at work in that someone else will do it for me, but as I understand switching between offline / online media in PP is much easier now

Associate
OP
If I can send a nothing clip I will though the files are huge.

I normally do use proxies and need to check for the C500 clips as I’m sure it was slow on playback even with the proxies. Need to double check this.

Back
Top Bottom