Car racing games ? (quest 2 or PCVR)

Soldato
Assetto corsa with mods

it is. Once you get the modding bug with it its like a rabbit hole. If u buy it u need to download an application called "content manager" which is an alternate way of starting the game, gives u much more power in how u configure the game, and controls many of the mods. Racedepartment website has loadsa ac mods. I will try acc sometime soon, it sounds good, but im a tinkerer at heart and ac being moddable means literally 1000s of cars being available from exotica to road going vauxhall astras. Tracks include Nurburgring Nordschleife to the scottish highlands. Theres just so many mods i sometimes wish i'd never discovered the game as i have project cars 2 which is excellent but i never touch it.

Ha, I don't even play Racing car Sims and you are making me want to buy it!! :)

Associate
I've not kept up to date with ACC but I thought it had the smallest car choice going? Plain AC has sheds loads of cars as there is a very active modding community but ACC is locked down isn't it?

My mistake - I mixed up the competition version with the AC. Yes!

So imho - if you want to race other people iRacing if you want to use lots of cars and tracks - something else! But iracing in VR is great.

Being as i enjoyed the demo of Project cars 2 , do i buy 2 or 3?

PC3 is far too arcadey for my liking. I only have 22 hours. PC2 was too much like PC1. ACC is probably the best racing sim you can play right now but I also quite like Automobilista 2 for graphics.

Associate
Apologies - I saw the title and skipped straight to replying without reading the thread because I feel SO strongly about this one...
PCVR 100% all day, every day.
Q2 is brilliant for many things, but race games are not one of them. (Video compression, plus frame rate etc)
Honestly, I returned my Q2 because my Rift CV1 performed better/as well with my 1060 (I know...) in race sims. It was not a £300 upgrade.

Associate
OK, caught up with the thread.
PC2 looks* glorious in VR, but better feeling games are the original Assetto Corsa (with graphics mods), RaceRoom and RFactor 2.
BUT - if you're playing w a controller, then you really won't feel the benefit at all. I know not everyone has the budget/space for a wheel & pedals set-up, but unless Forza is your idea of a great driving game, it's SO worth the investment.
Having come from consoles - including GT Sport in PSVR - PC VR race sims have literally ruined all console and/or flatscreen race games for me.
HTH

Associate
It doesn't go into VR until you enter an event. You have to set the display mode first in AC's settings.

yeah its a horrible VR menu implimentation... real pain when you have a simrig, PCars2 is miles ahead on the menu in vr.. AC is still an awesome VR experience though

Use content manager then you can use virtual desktop so you can change all the settings without having to take the headset off.

Thanks for the tips, I did try it again last night and managed to get into a car which is further than I've got before. Took the headset off to look for the start button and ended up outside the car and pointing the wrong way when I put it back on. I'll look further into content manager at the weekend. Game looked nice and sharp compared to some I've tried.

Associate
My mistake - I mixed up the competition version with the AC. Yes!

So imho - if you want to race other people iRacing if you want to use lots of cars and tracks - something else! But iracing in VR is great.

Vote from me for iRacing in VR. By far the most immersive of them all. ACC could be good, but whatever you do it's really fuzzy in the distance. iRacing somehow just looks more realistic and natural. Unfortunately you get used to it pretty quickly and the novelty wears off!

Soldato
PC2 is amazing. I recently bought PC3 in a sale, but haven't had much time to play yet. Personally I'm not a fanatical sim racer, so an easier arcade experience does appeal. I'll try to give it a go this weekend.

Associate
I never got Raceroom working well in VR. Always felt like it was stuttering. I have the bundle that unlocks everything except the new stuff released recently - but for the most part people only race the free cars and tracks, so that was a waste. :)

ACC runs like a dog in VR. I only play that on a monitor. In fact recently I’ve been playing it with a pad on the TV with my XSX. Not as good as upstairs on PC with wheel but fun.

AC with mods and Content Manager is great in VR. I’ve put more time into this than ACC and it was very very cheap.

RF2 - I play this on and off, mostly on the screen. It’s great handling, mixed bag graphically depending on track, but the interface is clunky.

AMS2 - I play this most. Built on an enhanced PC2 engine with better handling and physics, improved graphics, and a completely different selection of cars and tracks. Works better in VR than any of the other sims. It’s just awesome. RF2 edges it on handling, ACC might offer a more authentic GT experience, but AMS2 just does everything better in VR. My favourite VR sim experience is driving the MRX LMP2 car around Imola, or any track really.

AMS2-P2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom