New cat 6 wiring in house

A G

A G

Associate
OP

Hello
Thanks for all the help so far, i haven't yet got around to attempt the cat 6 job
But I have a different issue, I had asked my builder to run cat 6cables for me for my CCTV but he has run these black cables, I have no idea what they are, and I very much doubt I can use them for PoE cameras?
Please advise, hes done all the work and closed things off so no even sure what my options are now - I cannot see any option to upload images on here?

Soldato
The image hasn’t shown up but black cables are a good start because black is the default colour for outdoor quality cables. You can get non-black UV-resistant outdoor cable but it tends to be very expensive. Most surveillance cameras only need a 100Mbps connection so even if the builder has run CAT5e it’s still more than adequate.

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Nope they are definitely not network cables - from googling it appears they are coaxial - i presume this is a problem if i was looking at getting PoE CCTVs

Soldato
Nope they are definitely not network cables - from googling it appears they are coaxial - i presume this is a problem if i was looking at getting PoE CCTVs

Oh. Well, yes, that's the end of your PoE IP Camera dream but on the bright side you can run Power over Co-Ax (PoC) HDCVI analogue cameras which are available in most of the same models as IP cameras but are usually half the price. So that's positive.

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Its such a shame I cannot send you guys a pic of the cables

Its 2 cables one has red and the other from the pic i have taken i can only see silver

What do i lose over PoE if its PoC I go for?

Soldato

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Ah, I haven't opened them to check but I would say similar to the 2nd link which means PoC CCTVs only - ah the entire project seems to be going from bad to worst from what I was anticipating to what how its all turning out

Soldato
Can you see what is written on the cable? I’m sure it’s not that bad. In terms of PoC you can get cameras up to 8MP/4K and you won’t need a PoE switch because the XVR will power the cameras directly. And the cameras are much cheaper than the equivalent IP cameras.

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Well I didnt pay him for the cables, but told him via messages and verbally i want cat 6 for CCTV - as everything is open in the house, i have the option of still running cat6, probs cannot run them to the original location of the NVR i had planned (the loft), but I can change its location and still run cat 6 without having to chisel walls to get cables through..... im not sure though if its worth the effort, mate said he defo would change to cat6 while most floor boards are open - i'm really in 2 minds.
builder claims this is what all cctv cables are like, so he clearly isnt with the times of IP cameras

A G

A G

Associate
OP
Can you see what is written on the cable? I’m sure it’s not that bad. In terms of PoC you can get cameras up to 8MP/4K and you won’t need a PoE switch because the XVR will power the cameras directly. And the cameras are much cheaper than the equivalent IP cameras.

Hey
I have check and this is what is says on the cable

Mercury RG59b/LI 75 SHOTGUN COAXIL CABLE - FORM FILLED PE - SOLID OFC CONDUCTOR - CCA BRAID 097M

Soldato
Hey
I have check and this is what is says on the cable

Mercury RG59b/LI 75 SHOTGUN COAXIL CABLE - FORM FILLED PE - SOLID OFC CONDUCTOR - CCA BRAID 097M

That’s fine for any HDCVI camera system. So you can either power the cameras over PoC or use a separate 12V power supply to feed the cameras.

Have a look here to see the kind of cameras you could install with that cable. https://www.securitydynamics.co.uk/hdcvi-cameras

Don’t worry about the CCA.

A G

A G

Associate
OP
That’s fine for any HDCVI camera system. So you can either power the cameras over PoC or use a separate 12V power supply to feed the cameras.

Have a look here to see the kind of cameras you could install with that cable. https://www.securitydynamics.co.uk/hdcvi-cameras

Don’t worry about the CCA.

Thanks, so the comment about CCA is not much of concern?

I'll have a look at the up until I thought he was going to install Cat 6 cables, i was looking at Hikvision motion and color view night vision with 2 way audio, but I cannot find the equivalent to those CCTVs. Contacted one of the suppliers and he mentioned purchasing some next thing £120 each whcih was like a converter - That isn't happening I was planning on having 7 CCTVs

I'm contemplating pulling CAT6 via the Coax, especially as the floor boards are open - but I could end up getting stuck half way and

Back
Top Bottom