PC Components Upgrade Help

Associate
Hi Everyone,

I am relatively amateur to knowing what components are best to buy when upgrading my PC. My PC was a low budget one which I play a lot of flight simulation on, but currently struggle with FPS and can only really reach the medium display settings for most games i play.

Could anyone recommend or compose a list for me of what parts/components of my PC to upgrade, to make my PC run better for gaming or high performance games? My PC specs are listed below.

PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 3-3200G Quad Core 12nm AM4 CPU
GRAPHICS PROCESSOR: Integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics Chip
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 240GB SSD
HARD DRIVE 1000GB (1TB) Hard Drive Storage Space (SATA-III 6.0 Gbit/s/7200rpm)

Cheers

Man of Honour
Hi

At the moment graphics cards availibilty is a nightmare and prices are crazy

Can you tell us what motherboard model yoy have , memory speed and power supply you have.

What resoloution you planning to game at ?

Associate
OP
Hi

At the moment graphics cards availibilty is a nightmare and prices are crazy

Can you tell us what motherboard model yoy have , memory speed and power supply you have.

What resoloution you planning to game at ?

Hello, thank you for replying.

My motherboard is a BIOSTAR Group A32M2
My memory speed is 2667Mhz
My power supply is a EVO Labs professional power supply (100V-230V, 10A, 50-60Hz)

I am planning to game at 1920 x 1080p

Associate
Flight simulator is a game that demands a lot to run in high-detail.

With the graphics card supply being what it is at the moment, depending on your budget, have you considered a pre-built system? You could get decent settings on an RTX 3070, and are beginning to see these available in pre-built systems (without them instantly going out-of-stock).

Man of Honour
Hello, thank you for replying.

My motherboard is a BIOSTAR Group A32M2
My memory speed is 2667Mhz
My power supply is a EVO Labs professional power supply (100V-230V, 10A, 50-60Hz)

I am planning to game at 1920 x 1080p
Hmm not the best components.

Your power supply needs changing especially if you get a new graphics card which would be the first thing i would get .

Do you have a budget ?

Associate
OP
Flight simulator is a game that demands a lot to run in high-detail.

With the graphics card supply being what it is at the moment, depending on your budget, have you considered a pre-built system? You could get decent settings on an RTX 3070, and are beginning to see these available in pre-built systems (without them instantly going out-of-stock).

yes, I have looked into them. Would you recommend the graphics card upgrade then, and no other components?

Man of Honour
Yep, definitely need an upgrade. My budget would be around £500 for now. What would you recommend?
Check your case size limitations for a graphics card, then start hunting for one so mite have to looke at the used market also.

You mite be able to get a 3060 if your lucky but may have to sign up fod notifications.

Prices as an example Overclockers was selling a 1660ti for £450 which before the shortage would sell for £300.

Associate
Looking at your list, GPU and CPU would be my first stops for upgrades. I would say your issue is availability on both (CPU being easier to get than GPU).

A ryzen 5 / 7 would go a long way and most likely wouldn't require a MB upgrade.

Associate
OP
Check your case size limitations for a graphics card, then start hunting for one so mite have to looke at the used market also.

You mite be able to get a 3060 if your lucky but may have to sign up fod notifications.

Prices as an example Overclockers was selling a 1660ti for £450 which before the shortage would sell for £300.

Sure, ill take a look at some of them. Would i have to replace my MB or any other components if i bought a 3060 for example?

Associate
OP
Looking at your list, GPU and CPU would be my first stops for upgrades. I would say your issue is availability on both (CPU being easier to get than GPU).

A ryzen 5 / 7 would go a long way and most likely wouldn't require a MB upgrade.

Cheers. Would you recommend i upgrade to a ryzen 5 or 7 for example, rather than going for a Nvidia graphics card? Also, if i upgraded to a ryzen 5 or 7, would i have to replace any other components?

Associate
Cheers. Would you recommend i upgrade to a ryzen 5 or 7 for example, rather than going for a Nvidia graphics card? Also, if i upgraded to a ryzen 5 or 7, would i have to replace any other components?

That all depends on what you want to get from your system.

As a rule of thumb:

Upgrading the CPU to a CPU increases the efficiency of your machine, it can handle more intense tasks / programs and can do things quicker. Normally you would upgrade your RAM along side your CPU to give it more phsyical memory to utilise making your PC faster, more efficient and better at multi tasking. So if your looking for a general speed increase or for it to be better at handling multiple tabs on google chrome while watching a film on a second display, CPU and Ram upgrades are where to start.

Upgrading the GPU is angled more towards gaming / graphics / software that utilises a dedicated GPU's processing power like Photoshop, after effects, premier pro, AutoCAD and of course....games. The better your GPU, the better graphics settings you can run or the quicker a video will render etc etc.

What areas do you think (from using your PC on a day to day basis) you are lacking in? What annoys you the most? That will give you an indication as to what you should focus on upgrading first.

Keep in mind, if you upgrade your CPU, stick to Ryzen AM4 chipset so you don't need to upgrade your Motherboard. Normally when you Upgrade your CPU, people would look at putting in faster / more RAM to go with it. No point in having the best CPU on the market without any RAM to support it, you would be bottlenecking hard. Similarly, if you get a new GPU people also normally upgrade (especially with the 30 series graphics cards) their PSU to suit the card. Also availability plays a big part in this. It's REALLY hard to buy a new graphics card at the moment.

Upgrades = expensive. If anyone disagrees, please point me in the right direction but that's my take on the matter.

Associate
OP
An RTX 3060ti FE and a ryzen 5 3600 should just about be doable on that budget then maybe sell the 3200G and use the cash on a better PSU.

Cheers for the advice. So just to clarify, with my current setup, i do not have a standalone GPU but a built in graphics card instead?

Associate
OP
That all depends on what you want to get from your system.

As a rule of thumb:

Upgrading the CPU to a CPU increases the efficiency of your machine, it can handle more intense tasks / programs and can do things quicker. Normally you would upgrade your RAM along side your CPU to give it more phsyical memory to utilise making your PC faster, more efficient and better at multi tasking. So if your looking for a general speed increase or for it to be better at handling multiple tabs on google chrome while watching a film on a second display, CPU and Ram upgrades are where to start.

Upgrading the GPU is angled more towards gaming / graphics / software that utilises a dedicated GPU's processing power like Photoshop, after effects, premier pro, AutoCAD and of course....games. The better your GPU, the better graphics settings you can run or the quicker a video will render etc etc.

What areas do you think (from using your PC on a day to day basis) you are lacking in? What annoys you the most? That will give you an indication as to what you should focus on upgrading first.

Keep in mind, if you upgrade your CPU, stick to Ryzen AM4 chipset so you don't need to upgrade your Motherboard. Normally when you Upgrade your CPU, people would look at putting in faster / more RAM to go with it. No point in having the best CPU on the market without any RAM to support it, you would be bottlenecking hard. Similarly, if you get a new GPU people also normally upgrade (especially with the 30 series graphics cards) their PSU to suit the card. Also availability plays a big part in this. It's REALLY hard to buy a new graphics card at the moment.

Upgrades = expensive. If anyone disagrees, please point me in the right direction but that's my take on the matter.

From a day to day basis, i use my PC for Flight Simulation on DCS world. I have to use the medium settings really, because of how low FPS i get if i used higher settings. These medium settings mean that i get lower rendering and graphics etc. Using chrome and word for example is completely fine and more than adequate, so i really want to focus on upgrading my pc so that i can run games with higher settings. Hope this gives you a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom