It's too hot :(

Soldato
I have a colleague who moved over from India (Bangalore) at the end of last year and he's complaining at how uncomfortable the heat has been for him this week. It is very hot and humid there so it surprised me!

Caporegime
In theory insulation should also work in reverse and prevent heat building up too quickly - think of how warm it gets in a shed or your roof space where it rises rapidly.

One big issue though is solar gain - in a glazed room without adequate protection it will flood in rapidly.

But - like all things, the internal area will equalise with the external temp given time, and the insulation as you say will then slow down the loss once the external temp starts to drop.

bit you can counter the insulation by opening windows once it is cool outsider. That is fairly important, first thing in the morning open all windows in the house and close them once the outside temperature is higher than inside.

Thereby ypu have the advantage of insulation too keep out heat in the day.

Soldato
The UK is not dry heat.. lol... sure relative to Florida or somewhere it might be drier but by that logic Florida too is dry heat because have you ever been to the Amazon Rainforest? Now that's humid :rolleyes:

But I do agree we are a nation that like to complain and probably make more of it than some other nations would do

Caporegime
I think the British are just more fragile than other populations. I am British but no longer live in the UK.

Where I live now gets hotter, colder, has bigger daily swings, and is more humid than the UK. There is also no aircon, and my house leaks like a sieve and the bedroom was 32C last night. All that and no one complains except when they can’t get to work because 30cm of snow fell overnight in winter.

The issue in the UK is the weather is so consistently mundane, year round there is very little temperature change on average. Very mild winters and very cool summers. So when there is the occasional hot or cold spell no one is used to it.

Soldato
bit you can counter the insulation by opening windows once it is cool outsider. That is fairly important, first thing in the morning open all windows in the house and close them once the outside temperature is higher than inside.

Thereby ypu have the advantage of insulation too keep out heat in the day.

Cant let sun in any windows either otherwise your house becomes a greenhouse. External shutters would be best, painting our houses white would help as well.

Caporegime
yeah, we hace external shutters do use them on the south facing windows. Paid the extra to get external shutter on our new velux windows

Associate
Im not cut-out for 30 degrees in this country, feel like im melting already. Think Ill have to take a trip downstairs to Coop supermarket so I can get some relief with their air conditioning.

Associate
But I do agree we are a nation that like to complain and probably make more of it than some other nations would do
This. The simple fact of the matter is that most UK weather problems can be solved by putting a jumper on or turning on a fan. there's no extreme at either end of the spectrum and people just want to moan.

Some people will moan its a dry heat, others that it's a humid heat. it's friggin neither. People just dont want to adapt and manage a situation. I had an old work colleague who's dream was for it to be 15c and cloudy all year round.... dull as dish water. embrace the variety, you can have snow, hail, strong winds, thunderstorms, floods, heatwaves etc

Act accordingly and get on with it.

Soldato
This. The simple fact of the matter is that most UK weather problems can be solved by putting a jumper on or turning on a fan. there's no extreme at either end of the spectrum and people just want to moan.

Some people will moan its a dry heat, others that it's a humid heat. it's friggin neither. People just dont want to adapt and manage a situation. I had an old work colleague who's dream was for it to be 15c and cloudy all year round.... dull as dish water. embrace the variety, you can have snow, hail, strong winds, thunderstorms, floods, heatwaves etc

What a stupid attitude

Soldato

What?! In most cases the moaning is "reasonably" justified. We've had an awful spring, I'd argue we didn't really get one. Literally as June started, summer started. I was still cycling in winter gear in May, and I'm renowned for underdressing massively anyway.

And having one of the wettest months won't be solved by simply 'putting on a jumper' and high heat won't be solved by 'turning on a fan'.....if you don't have access to one.

I used to travel all over the world for my job, and to be honest there were many times I'd look forward to returning to the cooler/crappier weather in jolly England. I love Asia but christ I couldn't live there. The constant heat all year and humidity (and even the fact the sun sets pretty much the same time all year) would send me mad pretty quickly.

Capodecina
Soldato
What a stupid attitude

The simple fact of the matter is that most chilli sauce problems can be solved by using milder sauce or a much hotter version. There's no extreme at either end of the spectrum and people just want to moan.

Some people will moan its a too mild, others that it's too hot. it's friggin neither. People just dont want to adapt and manage a situation. I had an old work colleague who's dream was for his food to be a middle-heat every meal.... dull as dish water. embrace the variety, you can have mild, strong, habanero, Tabasco, cayenne, jalapeno.

Soldato
The simple fact of the matter is that most chilli sauce problems can be solved by using milder sauce or a much hotter version. There's no extreme at either end of the spectrum and people just want to moan.

Some people will moan its a too mild, others that it's too hot. it's friggin neither. People just dont want to adapt and manage a situation. I had an old work colleague who's dream was for his food to be a middle-heat every meal.... dull as dish water. embrace the variety, you can have mild, strong, habanero, Tabasco, cayenne, jalapeno.

What, like order a less spicy dish? I'm not sure we get that choice with the weather.

We aren't set up for this BS. Adaptive thermal comfort is a thing and we have had no time to adapt.

Soldato
My Yorkshire trip is turming out pretty good, staying at mum and dad's, been scorching today,

Screenshot-20210616-155433-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom