• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The "I might pay over £2k for GPU and here's why" self flagellation thread

Permabanned
I would never overspend especially by thousands unless I didn’t have any gpu to use at all. And even then I’d likely get something cheap and useable local and preorder something worthwhile. No way I’d pay anything other than £649 for a FE 3080.

One reason I always keep my last last gen cards so I’ve at least got something to use should my current card die or such as this launch end up with months and months of waiting.

Same here. If it means I give up PC gaming then so be it. I honestly think that people have completely lost their minds, the money they are spending on graphics cards. I just don't get it. Not only are they being hopelessly ripped off but they are setting themselves up to have this happen repeatedly in the future. Where is the hysteria coming from? Why are people losing their common over this? I just makes no sense to me at all. When the price of RAM goes up, buy a little less and "get by". When CPU prices go up they miss a generation. But when GPU prices double, triple, quadruple, then they are falling over themselves to get in the queue. Apart from anything else, the 3000 series is just not that special. The only thing that made the 3080 special was it's price! People now have it firmly implanted in their head that the 3000 series will solve all their problems and must be obtained at almost any price, even though we would normally be well on the way to the 4000 series. I am staggered by the level of, well, whatever it is that's driving people out of their minds.

Soldato
Same here. If it means I give up PC gaming then so be it. I honestly think that people have completely lost their minds, the money they are spending on graphics cards. I just don't get it. Not only are they being hopelessly ripped off but they are setting themselves up to have this happen repeatedly in the future. Where is the hysteria coming from? Why are people losing their common over this? I just makes no sense to me at all. When the price of RAM goes up, buy a little less and "get by". When CPU prices go up they miss a generation. But when GPU prices double, triple, quadruple, then they are falling over themselves to get in the queue. Apart from anything else, the 3000 series is just not that special. The only thing that made the 3080 special was it's price! People now have it firmly implanted in their head that the 3000 series will solve all their problems and must be obtained at almost any price, even though we would normally be well on the way to the 4000 series. I am staggered by the level of, well, whatever it is that's driving people out of their minds.
It's the FOMO since Gpus go out of stock so quickly people are just panic buying.

Associate
If I needed a card for work purposes, yes I'd be prepared to pay over the odds, but definitely not to a scalper.

For gaming and leisure, no chance. Pricing at the moment is still absolutely bonkers.

Soldato
I think you are probably right. GPU's are the nerds toilet rolls.
I think a lot of people at release thought they would wait it out and the stock situation would improve and cards would be at msrp in a couple of months but then with shortages worsening and the mining boom prices started going up which caused a lot of people to panic thinking if they didn't pay 1200 one week then it would be 1300 next etc so it became a snowball effect on prices.

We have passed the peak and will see a gradual decrease on prices now over the rest of the year.

Associate
I think a lot of people at release thought they would wait it out and the stock situation would improve and cards would be at msrp in a couple of months but then with shortages worsening and the mining boom prices started going up which caused a lot of people to panic thinking if they didn't pay 1200 one week then it would be 1300 next etc so it became a snowball effect on prices.

We have passed the peak and will see a gradual decrease on prices now over the rest of the year.
They are moving… as in lower prices overall, so it’s moving in the right direction.

Positive so far.

Back
Top Bottom