*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Associate
@Amatsubu It's a really solid, fun game, which occasional jaw-dropping set pieces. They appear to have fired a load of patches at it, which should hopefully have fixed the humongous swathes of bugs it had at launch. I played it, and loved the game underneath the bugs. It was never going to meet the hype that people had for it, but that doesn't make it a bad game

Man of Honour
@Angilion So, should I finally pull the trigger on this in your opinion? You seem to be one of the few people realistic about the game so I'm asking.

It's pretty cheap now, is there enough fun in it once I accept it's not an actual RPG but a looter shooter in disguise with very few consequential choices and a passable on-rails story set in a pretty but skin-deep backdrop?
I've already accepted that, apparently, just because it's not GTA there doesn't even need to be any semblance of AI and all the rest of those convenient excuses:p

Are the actual mechanics and content fun enough to make up for what isn't there for someone who actually expected something more? I just want to have a decent, relatively bug-free time and enjoy the setting, I don't expect anything groundbreaking at this point.

Then I think you'll probably have some fun with it because your expectations are based on what it is rather than what it could be, what it should be or what CDPR falsely claimed it was. "looter shooter in disguise with very few consequential choices and a passable on-rails story set in a pretty but skin-deep backdrop" is a good description of CP2077. It's also an interesting gameworld, a good setting. And sometimes the story rises well above passable.

The degree of bugginess varied wildly from PC to PC at launch, from occasional graphical glitches to genuinely unplayable. The subsequent patches have fixed a lot of bugs, but I couldn't say how effective that's been as I never had any serious bugginess with it anyway, not even before the first patch. For the first ~100 hours, the only bug I got was that sometimes my character would strip naked, stand on their motorbike and T-pose for a couple of seconds as they travelled. Which I found more amusing than annoying and also strangely fitting for Night City anyway.

EDIT: A little thing that a new player might not know. You have an apartment with a stash location in it, but there's llittle reason to use it other than roleplay if that suits your roleplaying. A much better location for your stash is the boot of your car. All cars with boots share the same stash and you can summon your car to almost anywhere outdoors, so that way you can access your stash almost anywhere. The stash in your apartment is seperate and can only be accessed by travelling to the apartment, which doesn't contain a fast travel point (although there is one nearby).

Last edited:
Soldato
Then I think you'll probably have some fun with it because your expectations are based on what it is rather than what it could be, what it should be or what CDPR falsely claimed it was. "looter shooter in disguise with very few consequential choices and a passable on-rails story set in a pretty but skin-deep backdrop" is a good description of CP2077. It's also an interesting gameworld, a good setting. And sometimes the story rises well above passable.

Grabbed & redeemed on GOG, thanks for that:)

Yeah, I've seen enough of the game that I don't need to pretend it's anything other that that, there's a reason they changed the genre description on it along the way:p

A good setting, a decent story and some fun shooting is all I want now so that was reassuring and I think I'll be all right as long as I don't run into too many bugs. I don't specifically plan to look for them anyways, will just play and see how I goes.

Soldato

The degree of bugginess varied wildly from PC to PC at launch, from occasional graphical glitches to genuinely unplayable. The subsequent patches have fixed a lot of bugs, but I couldn't say how effective that's been as I never had any serious bugginess with it anyway, not even before the first patch. For the first ~100 hours, the only bug I got was that sometimes my character would strip naked, stand on their motorbike and T-pose for a couple of seconds as they travelled. Which I found more amusing than annoying and also strangely fitting for Night City anyway.

EDIT: A little thing that a new player might not know. You have an apartment with a stash location in it, but there's llittle reason to use it other than roleplay if that suits your roleplaying. A much better location for your stash is the boot of your car. All cars with boots share the same stash and you can summon your car to almost anywhere outdoors, so that way you can access your stash almost anywhere. The stash in your apartment is seperate and can only be accessed by travelling to the apartment, which doesn't contain a fast travel point (although there is one nearby).

I think this is why I had so much fun playing it. I did see the hype but didn't get hyped, great looking game with fun content but took it for what it was. I didn't have half the issues that I've seen people complaining about and the worst was floating items and nothing actually game breaking for me. I've actually revisited it to play through from as nomad, first time was corpo and really enjoying it again.

Soldato
yeah I just don't understand why anyone would want to follow modern game dev hype cycles and all the analysis style vids created from it. Pretty much no game can survive if you do that to it

Soldato
yeah I just don't understand why anyone would want to follow modern game dev hype cycles and all the analysis style vids created from it. Pretty much no game can survive if you do that to it

It's why I don't bother following "content creators", all it does it annoy me. Don't care for them in the slightest. I'll make my own opinion thanks and see that the user reviews say. Although there is an argument to not jump in without knowing first, just look at Outriders.

Soldato
60 hours in and I never thought about putting stuff in my car boot. Will empty 100kg of stuff I carry 'just in case' in there tonight. Thank you!

Man of Honour
60 hours in and I never thought about putting stuff in my car boot. Will empty 100kg of stuff I carry 'just in case' in there tonight. Thank you!

No worries. I was also a fair way in myself before I realised that was an option. I kept very little in my stash anyway, but it was useful to have it so much more accessible. I would have liked the apartment to have been more of a thing, but on reflection the way it's implemented does fit the game. It's a place you sleep in. It's not a home. It doesn't have any sense of permanency because you don't have any sense of permanency.

Man of Honour
I think this is why I had so much fun playing it. I did see the hype but didn't get hyped, great looking game with fun content but took it for what it was. I didn't have half the issues that I've seen people complaining about and the worst was floating items and nothing actually game breaking for me. I've actually revisited it to play through from as nomad, first time was corpo and really enjoying it again.

All three "life paths" are the same anyway, so that's only really a thing if you roleplay. For example, my second character went a bit mental, psycho vigilante style, for a large part of the game. They'd been corpo. Above the worst of Night City. Dangers, yes, but corporate ones. Ones they understood. Then a sudden transition into the raw brutality of the NC underworld, having to make it as a merc. A different world. Then
Jackie, the only person they really knew in that world, their mentor into it, is violently killed
. Mad fury looking for an enemy to blame and finding one in the gangs. Better than breaking down entirely. My first character had been streetkid, so they didn't react the same way to the same events.

The main reason I did a second playthrough was for a different ending, to leave into an undetermined future with Judy. Couldn't do that with my first character.

Man of Honour
Still waiting to play this, been waiting for a card that'll do it proper justice. I'll be waiting a while based on how stock issues are atm :D

By then there will be other games and probably other cards. Also by then, the extreme pricing will be established as the norm. Companies now know they can sell midrange graphics cards for £1000. Will they give that up?

I played it on a 1070 Ti. No ray tracing, lower than max settings, 2560x1440. I won't pay over £500 for a midrange graphics card, even if there are any available.

Man of Honour
I must be one of the few who actually really enjoyed it, played the first half on my Rad 7 and the second half on my 6800xt - performance wise it was fine on both cards. Plays nicely imo and I even like the gunplay. It's got a decent storyline, decent gameplay.. I actually think its a pretty decent game.

Soldato
I must be one of the few who actually really enjoyed it, played the first half on my Rad 7 and the second half on my 6800xt - performance wise it was fine on both cards. Plays nicely imo and I even like the gunplay. It's got a decent storyline, decent gameplay.. I actually think its a pretty decent game.
If steam reviews are anything to go by, you are not one of the few

And I found it lot better than just decent. Atmosphere of its world can be intoxicating, most of the quests and sidequests were great, gunplay was awesome and it has Keanu saying one of the best lines he has ever spoken anywhere :p

Associate
To be honest, I get the impression that waiting for a GPU may have been a blessing in disguise where CP2077 is concerned. I love the look of the game (and saw a lot of footage post-release), but it sure as hell seemed to be chock-full of bugs in the days/weeks after. Hopefully some of those will have been patched out by the time I eventually get to play... although perhaps I'm being too optimistic.

Soldato
By then there will be other games and probably other cards. Also by then, the extreme pricing will be established as the norm. Companies now know they can sell midrange graphics cards for £1000. Will they give that up?

I played it on a 1070 Ti. No ray tracing, lower than max settings, 2560x1440. I won't pay over £500 for a midrange graphics card, even if there are any available.

Good to know, so it should run decently on a 2070S at the same res if I don't push the settings. I'm glad I didn't upgrade for this:p Will give it a spin in the evening.

Yeah, I agree GPU prices are getting way out of hand.

Soldato
but it sure as hell seemed to be chock-full of bugs in the days/weeks after. Hopefully some of those will have been patched out by the time I eventually get to play... although perhaps I'm being too optimistic.
The buginess is quite random. For some it is bug extravaganza, for others not so much. I started playing it at launch (literally 30 minutes after it unlocked on steam), did every single thing there is to do in Night City (160 hours). In all that time I had exactly one quest bug that halted a progression in a sidequest, and fixed it by reloading the game. Other than that, all the issues were cosmetic - sometimes NPC pedestrian disappears, or a car levitates for some reason. But that's just jank that harms immersion, but didn't stop me from enjoying it (and it happened rarely).

If there is one thing that annoyed me a lot, it was the minimap not zooming out when driving. And it's still not zooming out even after the patches, which is just mind boggling to me. It is such a simple fix (and mod already exists that fixes it).

Associate
The buginess is quite random. For some it is bug extravaganza, for others not so much. I started playing it at launch (literally 30 minutes after it unlocked on steam), did every single thing there is to do in Night City (160 hours). In all that time I had exactly one quest bug that halted a progression in a sidequest, and fixed it by reloading the game. Other than that, all the issues were cosmetic - sometimes NPC pedestrian disappears, or a car levitates for some reason. But that's just jank that harms immersion, but didn't stop me from enjoying it (and it happened rarely).

If there is one thing that annoyed me a lot, it was the minimap not zooming out when driving. And it's still not zooming out even after the patches, which is just mind boggling to me. It is such a simple fix (and mod already exists that fixes it).
That's really interesting, I thought it was more consistently buggy than that.

Admittedly I'm basing my knowledge on reviews, and having watched a mate stream via discord on release. I watched him on 3/4 separate occasions, and each time he encountered things that were (whilst admittedly far from game-breaking) certainly immersion breaking. Can't remember exact examples off the top of my head, been a while!

Back
Top Bottom