I finally had my lounge units survey

Soldato
5dgy6x.jpg
Ha, awesome :cool:

Associate
OP
Yeah the joiner i had working on building my house was amazing, leagues above the ones who came and fitted my kitchen.

Good joiners don't waste their time fitting off the shelf kitchen units :p

But he was an employee of the house builder, and how are people judging that any joiner that is simply employed must therefore be a bad joiner?

Having a job as a joiner makes you a bad joiner apparently?

And if the kitchen units you got were ones from the developer's range, sorry to say but those are bog standard tier.

Soldato
But he was an employee of the house builder, and how are people judging that any joiner that is simply employed must therefore be a bad joiner?

Having a job as a joiner makes you a bad joiner apparently?

And if the kitchen units you got were ones from the developer's range, sorry to say but those are bog standard tier.

No he was self employed, my house was a self build.

Soldato
No he was self employed, my house was a self build.

don't you know that you aren't getting the highest quality because someone on the high street didn't tell you about the handles, hinges and sof-closes though. You should have paid over the odds and accepted what was sold to you, none of this self build nonsense. some people. really.

Soldato
don't you know that you aren't getting the highest quality because someone on the high street didn't tell you about the handles, hinges and sof-closes though. You should have paid over the odds and accepted what was sold to you, none of this self build nonsense. some people. really.

I know i feel such a fool now, especially as he did some storage cupboards in the bedrooms and made the doors out of MDF :eek:. I've also got 3 bits of furniture from IKEA in my daughters room, i should probably just torch the house and be done with it at this stage and phone hammonds interiors when the cheque from the insurance comes through to start again.

Soldato
Well if you have enough money for that then sure you can hire anyone you want.

How do you asses who is a better joiner / tradesperson before hiring them though? You only find out how good or bad the work is after, unless you can see examples of it in a showroom.

Or previous satisfied customers, i.e. word of mouth. Usually asking the neighbours is a good way to find good local tradesmen, or at least ones to avoid!

Associate
OP

You can get much higher quality than what I'm getting, feel free to pay Strachan over £12,000 for the same design in solid oak.

What I am contesting is that you can get better or even the same at Ikea.

I know i feel such a fool now, especially as he did some storage cupboards in the bedrooms and made the doors out of MDF :eek:. I've also got 3 bits of furniture from IKEA in my daughters room, i should probably just torch the house and be done with it at this stage and phone hammonds interiors when the cheque from the insurance comes through to start again.

What I have is MDF / Particleboard / Vinyl veneer etc.

Again people do realize that solid wood starts at 4x the price?

Associate
OP
Really? You just posted a series of statements. The thread has no purpose.

Think of it as a project log then?

People post their PC builds, I'm posting my furniture.

Whats the difference?

Maybe we need a separate subforum for people's house projects if Home and Garden is the wrong place for it?

If I said I was building a new Intel build and people said 'Waaaah get AMD' and I said 'Nah I'm sticking to Intel', would there be this much seethe?

Soldato
One thing i would add. Given that this is fitted. Have you confirmed with Hammonds that they'll be adding a trim to the left side and fitting it around the skirting board? The render doesn't show it and it would be a travesty to pay this much and not get the one thing that could turn it from generic unit to actually looking fitted.

Associate
OP
One thing i would add. Given that this is fitted. Have you confirmed with Hammonds that they'll be adding a trim to the left side and fitting it around the skirting board? The render doesn't show it and it would be a travesty to pay this much and not get the one thing that could turn it from generic unit to actually looking fitted.

What do you mean sorry? My current wardrobes from them are already fitted around the skirting boards.

Soldato

I think the OP has left that gap so he can fit his custom 120mm PC fan ventilation system in his £1800 kitchen cabs, in his lounge. Literally in front of a radiator.

This is a master troll thread, look this is how you do it.

Associate
OP
What's the full dimensions of the room, if you don't mind me asking?

Units are 269cm wide, 74cm tall and I'm assuming 50cm deep?

The full room is 4.85x2.85.

The units are 269 wide, 74 high, 60 deep.

I wanted full units across where they are going since I moved in as well as hiding the radiator, and all the house plans for this house along with the electrical outlets confirm that the T.V goes in the left corner and sofa opposite.

Back
Top Bottom